+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian aTA or visitor visa

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
Do Australians need to apply for a visitor visa to Canada. I'm sending off our outland spousal pr application soon, however my work visa expires at the end of December. If I just leave Canada and come back as a visitor before it expires and have a valid eTA will I be fine. There seems to be a lot of work and more money just to get an extension if I can easily go to the states for a few days and come back through immigration...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You don't need a visitor visa and an eTA is only needed to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada.

It is safer to apply online to extend your stay as a visitor. A border run puts you at the mercy of CBSA; if you happen to get an officer in a bad mood, they could refuse you entry.

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply!
My issue is I will be coming back to Canada before my work permit expires. If I apply for an extension, can I ask to enter as a visitor or will I have to leave again and re enter once my visa has officially expired??
They ask for so much extra strange stuff for a visitor extension like letter of employment (I will have quit my job by then) bank statements, paystubs and a medical examination that would be hard for me to pull together.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lulu_434 said:
Thanks for the reply!
My issue is I will be coming back to Canada before my work permit expires. If I apply for an extension, can I ask to enter as a visitor or will I have to leave again and re enter once my visa has officially expired??
They ask for so much extra strange stuff for a visitor extension like letter of employment (I will have quit my job by then) bank statements, paystubs and a medical examination that would be hard for me to pull together.
I've read your other post, which had more information, specifically that you have already booked a trip. This is different from just doing a border run. It is easier to help you if you provide all info in your post.

When you re-enter Canada, have proof of the PR app and proof of finances. Explain to CBSA that while your current work permit is still valid for 10 days, you would like to enter as a visitor to wait out the PR process. They should grant you entry as a visitor.

Lulu_434

Feb 23, 2012
Ahh my apologies, I should have explained that!
Thank you for the helpful info. Saves a lot of stress not doing the extension. And if I'm still made to come back in under my work visa, I guess I could apply for an extension right away and be under implied status until they make a decision, is that correct?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lulu_434 said:
Ahh my apologies, I should have explained that!
Thank you for the helpful info. Saves a lot of stress not doing the extension. And if I'm still made to come back in under my work visa, I guess I could apply for an extension right away and be under implied status until they make a decision, is that correct?
Yes, that's correct. However, given the short amount of time left on your work permit and the fact that you will have a PR app in process, they will most likely grant you visitor status.