+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

August 2020 - Citizenship application

DK1992

Mar 8, 2018
I passed the citizenship test on July 5th, status changed to “completed” on July 7th. However, physical presence, prohibitions and language skills are still in progress…. I am a bit concerned. I saw some people here mentioned that the test was the last thing to be marked as completed on ecas..

cherishlady

May 26, 2014
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06/11/2015 Quebec - 11/07/2016 Federal
Doc's Request.
waiting
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
IELTS Request
overall 7.5 also sent tefaq
File Transfer...
12/12/2016
Med's Request
22/12/2016
Med's Done....
23/12/2016
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
06-05-2017
I passed the citizenship test on July 5th, status changed to “completed” on July 7th. However, physical presence, prohibitions and language skills are still in progress…. I am a bit concerned. I saw some people here mentioned that the test was the last thing to be marked as completed on ecas..
it is not necessarily the last thing, personally my exam was marked as completed and after this (a couple of weeks) language, prohibitions and physical presence were marked as completed.

Reactions: DK1992

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
For all(except few rarely) these 3 sections get completed after the test is marked as complete.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hopefully not diverting the subject too badly . . .

Hi guys I recieved my atip can any senior member @rajkamalmohanram or someone tell me what does this mean and if it’s something to worry about :
The processing of your request is now complete and enclosed is the personal information to which you are entitled to under section 12(1) of the Privacy Act, which only permits you to access information about yourself. Please refer to the following for an explanation as to what was released:

Disposition of your records: Disclosed in part

Section(s) of the Act applied (if applicable): 21 The detection, prevention or suppression of subversive or hostile activities, 22(1)(b) law enforcement and investigation
Did you request information for yourself or for someone else?

While I haven't seen such a response to ATIP request, I understand why they might have responded this way. If IRCC / CBSA / RCMP or CSIS is actively investigating you for some reason, that might be one of the reasons why you received such a response.

Now, I'm not saying that is the case here but I'm just saying it might be.

As long as you don't have anything to hide OR you did not misrepresent yourself, you should be fine.

@dpenabill => Could you please let me know if you have anything to add to this? Thank you.
As I have oft stated, tending perhaps to carp a bit too much, I am NOT a fan of the way I see the ATIP process being used, rather often excessively, rather often abused, in this forum. I have been even more emphatic about the USELESSNESS of trying to decipher GCMS references to criminality or security related screening. At best, at the very, very best, the GCMS notes are little more than cryptic shadows cast by dim light in an undefined maze of smoke and mirrors, and almost never conclusive ("completed" almost never assuring the checks are final, even if most of the time but just coincidentally the clearances are actually complete and final; and offering no clue at all about how much longer any next step will be).

It is difficult to fairly address this because, yes, sometimes, in some situations, the ATIP process is an important, useful tool. A comparison to Mandamus may be illustrative. Sometimes, for some applicants, in very particular circumstances, resort to the procedures involved in making an application for a Writ of Mandamus is well warranted. But that is rare. That is, in particular, pursuing Mandamus is rarely a viable approach in response to encountering even rather lengthy delays, even those disproportionate to the delays encountered by other applicants.

But for both, making requests for personal information or pursuing Mandamus, there are times and situations in which they are a good option, sometimes the best option.

Most of the time, however, both are a waste of time and effort. Moreover, it is readily apparent that the ATIP procedure may actually be dramatically elevating the level of confusion and anxiety for many applicants. What I see in the forum reflects a much more negative impact than helpful.

To the extent using ATIP is an effort to get a glimpse of them making sausage inside the meat processing plant, as the saying suggests that either reveals little or it is something you really do not want to see. For the vast majority of citizenship applicants, after all, what is going on inside the place where the application is "in process" is nothing, the application is sitting in a queue, this queue or that queue, sitting, sitting, albeit in the course of bureaucratic timelines, which can make molasses and turtles look like they are in the fast lane, sooner or more likely sometime later, the appropriate total stranger bureaucrat will pick the application from queue to perform the next action to be taken, which for most applications will take a matter of a few minutes, little more, and then the application goes to the next queue where it will be sitting, sitting, sitting until again a total stranger bureaucrat will pick the application from the queue to perform the next action to be taken . . . until it is done.

Getting the ATIP version of GCMS notes is like trying to watch a car race on an oval track by now and then taking and looking at a photograph of the cars going round the track, except with significant portions of the photo redacted.

I am editorializing. Which, well, is neither my forte nor my preferred role. I prefer to focus on sharing information. But in regards to this particular query, and in regards to the overall subject of this thread, the REAL information is not all that complicated, no ATIP necessary: some August 2020 applicants will be seeing actual progress, getting scheduled for the test, some for the oath, while others will be waiting longer, and some much longer. Difficult if not impossible to forecast how it will go for this or that individual. But since it has been less than a year since these applications were submitted to CPC-Sydney, way less than a year since anyone inside IRCC so much as opened the application, there is no reason for an applicant to be getting anxious about their application . . .
. . . well, UNLESS, they already know of some reason to be anxious, in which event they already know far more than GCMS will reveal.

Caroline1234

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Hopefully not diverting the subject too badly . . .

As I have oft stated, tending perhaps to carp a bit too much, I am NOT a fan of the way I see the ATIP process being used, rather often excessively, rather often abused, in this forum. I have been even more emphatic about the USELESSNESS of trying to decipher GCMS references to criminality or security related screening. At best, at the very, very best, the GCMS notes are little more than cryptic shadows cast by dim light in an undefined maze of smoke and mirrors, and almost never conclusive ("completed" almost never assuring the checks are final, even if most of the time but just coincidentally the clearances are actually complete and final; and offering no clue at all about how much longer any next step will be).

It is difficult to fairly address this because, yes, sometimes, in some situations, the ATIP process is an important, useful tool. A comparison to Mandamus may be illustrative. Sometimes, for some applicants, in very particular circumstances, resort to the procedures involved in making an application for a Writ of Mandamus is well warranted. But that is rare. That is, in particular, pursuing Mandamus is rarely a viable approach in response to encountering even rather lengthy delays, even those disproportionate to the delays encountered by other applicants.

But for both, making requests for personal information or pursuing Mandamus, there are times and situations in which they are a good option, sometimes the best option.

Most of the time, however, both are a waste of time and effort. Moreover, it is readily apparent that the ATIP procedure may actually be dramatically elevating the level of confusion and anxiety for many applicants. What I see in the forum reflects a much more negative impact than helpful.

To the extent using ATIP is an effort to get a glimpse of them making sausage inside the meat processing plant, as the saying suggests that either reveals little or it is something you really do not want to see. For the vast majority of citizenship applicants, after all, what is going on inside the place where the application is "in process" is nothing, the application is sitting in a queue, this queue or that queue, sitting, sitting, albeit in the course of bureaucratic timelines, which can make molasses and turtles look like they are in the fast lane, sooner or more likely sometime later, the appropriate total stranger bureaucrat will pick the application from queue to perform the next action to be taken, which for most applications will take a matter of a few minutes, little more, and then the application goes to the next queue where it will be sitting, sitting, sitting until again a total stranger bureaucrat will pick the application from the queue to perform the next action to be taken . . . until it is done.

Getting the ATIP version of GCMS notes is like trying to watch a car race on an oval track by now and then taking and looking at a photograph of the cars going round the track, except with significant portions of the photo redacted.

I am editorializing. Which, well, is neither my forte nor my preferred role. I prefer to focus on sharing information. But in regards to this particular query, and in regards to the overall subject of this thread, the REAL information is not all that complicated, no ATIP necessary: some August 2020 applicants will be seeing actual progress, getting scheduled for the test, some for the oath, while others will be waiting longer, and some much longer. Difficult if not impossible to forecast how it will go for this or that individual. But since it has been less than a year since these applications were submitted to CPC-Sydney, way less than a year since anyone inside IRCC so much as opened the application, there is no reason for an applicant to be getting anxious about their application . . .
. . . well, UNLESS, they already know of some reason to be anxious, in which event they already know far more than GCMS will reveal.
Thank you for your response however I have no criminal history or nothing to hide I just wanted to know what the thing I posted ment thats all but thank you for responding I think majority of us just want to move on with our lives instead of having to check ecas every minute to make sure we don’t miss any notification or emails etc it’s quite frustrating when the first thing that one does in the morning is checking ones email etc and I don’t think any one who has applied for there atip is abusing system it’s almost a year for most applicants here and we are still in limbo……While I do understand your concern that we are worrying over nothing unless you have something to hide I think most individuals on this forum will agree we just want to get it over with an done.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Overall . . . this is about it being OK to relax, to NOT worry. Qualified applicants who properly submitted a complete and accurate application have near ZERO reason to worry. IRCC will process the application in due course (which is typically very slow, and in the times of Covid very, very slow; what it is).

Yes, watch email. Of course. Been there, doing that now for more than a quarter century, for all sorts of communication. If daily checking email is "frustrating" . . . not sure what to say to that.

While I do understand your concern that we are worrying over nothing unless you have something to hide I think most individuals on this forum will agree we just want to get it over with an done.
Yep.

And the vast majority of ATIP requests discussed in this forum offer ZERO help in that direction.

As for abusing the process, just peruse some of the various topics here, there are some individuals reporting making ATIP requests as frequently as monthly, and literally scores reporting making multiple ATIP requests. Which is for NOTHING. Which does NOTHING to advance their application processing. Which (with rare exception) provides ZERO information that the applicant will use in making decisions or taking action.

But my concern is more about the impact this has on those applying, the extent to which these ATIP analysis discussions are confusing applicants and increasing the level of anxiety. No shortage of "what does this mean?" queries uttered with a tone of disquiet if not distress, in reference to this or that note in GCMS, in the forum, when whatever it means offers NOTHING at all useful.

". . . it’s almost a year for most applicants here and we are still in limbo …"

NO, not at all likely that your application is in limbo. It is sitting in a queue. All applications will spend a good long while sitting in a queue. When the responsible processing agent gets to the application in the queue, that agent will take the next appropriate step. It is not complicated. It is a bureaucracy.

It is not likely that the total amount of time a person at IRCC is actually doing something with the application exceeds much more than an hour or two TOTAL, in the entire course of processing the application, even though overall the processing timeline is eight months, or a year, or a year and a half.

And notwithstanding common references to "waiting" for clearances, the next step in processing is almost NEVER actually waiting for a clearance, and even if it is (such as where a clearance needs to be updated to schedule the oath), that timeline is among the fastest, not at all long compared to other steps in the process during which applications will sit, and sit, and sit in the queue . . . what the next step is almost always waiting on is for the responsible agent to finish those in the queue in front of it and thus get to it.

If you are a qualified applicant who properly completed the application and submitted complete and accurate information, there is near NOTHING, nothing at all, to worry about. Relax. It might be another month. It might be six more months. For some it will go longer. You will NOT find out how much longer it will take making an ATIP request.

"I think majority of us just want to move on with our lives instead of having to check ecas every minute to make sure we don’t miss any notification or emails etc it’s quite frustrating when the first thing that one does in the morning is checking ones email etc."

No need to stare at a pot of water to see when it will come to a boil.

If you are checking your ecas more than once a day, that is simply obsessive-compulsive . . . and, frankly, even once a week is plenty. With rare exception, applicants will get notice properly in either regular mail or email. As for checking your email first thing in the morning, not sure what sort of lifestyle you have, but almost everyone I know is compelled to check their email at least that often, watching for all sorts of notifications, some more important than others, some with more pressing time constraints than others, but like checking the mailbox or listening for the telephone to ring was for much of my earlier life, most of us are now tethered to email (for some it may be texting or both).

By the way, for the vast majority of immigrants settling in Canada permanently, even though taking that step of becoming a Canadian citizen is hugely, hugely important (one of the most important events in my life), waiting for the oath should be little or no impediment to moving on with life.

luvtrump

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2020
Overall . . . this is about it being OK to relax, to NOT worry. Qualified applicants who properly submitted a complete and accurate application have near ZERO reason to worry. IRCC will process the application in due course (which is typically very slow, and in the times of Covid very, very slow; what it is).

Yes, watch email. Of course. Been there, doing that now for more than a quarter century, for all sorts of communication. If daily checking email is "frustrating" . . . not sure what to say to that.

Yep.

And the vast majority of ATIP requests discussed in this forum offer ZERO help in that direction.

As for abusing the process, just peruse some of the various topics here, there are some individuals reporting making ATIP requests as frequently as monthly, and literally scores reporting making multiple ATIP requests. Which is for NOTHING. Which does NOTHING to advance their application processing. Which (with rare exception) provides ZERO information that the applicant will use in making decisions or taking action.

But my concern is more about the impact this has on those applying, the extent to which these ATIP analysis discussions are confusing applicants and increasing the level of anxiety. No shortage of "what does this mean?" queries uttered with a tone of disquiet if not distress, in reference to this or that note in GCMS, in the forum, when whatever it means offers NOTHING at all useful.

". . . it’s almost a year for most applicants here and we are still in limbo …"

NO, not at all likely that your application is in limbo. It is sitting in a queue. All applications will spend a good long while sitting in a queue. When the responsible processing agent gets to the application in the queue, that agent will take the next appropriate step. It is not complicated. It is a bureaucracy.

It is not likely that the total amount of time a person at IRCC is actually doing something with the application exceeds much more than an hour or two TOTAL, in the entire course of processing the application, even though overall the processing timeline is eight months, or a year, or a year and a half.

And notwithstanding common references to "waiting" for clearances, the next step in processing is almost NEVER actually waiting for a clearance, and even if it is (such as where a clearance needs to be updated to schedule the oath), that timeline is among the fastest, not at all long compared to other steps in the process during which applications will sit, and sit, and sit in the queue . . . what the next step is almost always waiting on is for the responsible agent to finish those in the queue in front of it and thus get to it.

If you are a qualified applicant who properly completed the application and submitted complete and accurate information, there is near NOTHING, nothing at all, to worry about. Relax. It might be another month. It might be six more months. For some it will go longer. You will NOT find out how much longer it will take making an ATIP request.

"I think majority of us just want to move on with our lives instead of having to check ecas every minute to make sure we don’t miss any notification or emails etc it’s quite frustrating when the first thing that one does in the morning is checking ones email etc."

No need to stare at a pot of water to see when it will come to a boil.

If you are checking your ecas more than once a day, that is simply obsessive-compulsive . . . and, frankly, even once a week is plenty. With rare exception, applicants will get notice properly in either regular mail or email. As for checking your email first thing in the morning, not sure what sort of lifestyle you have, but almost everyone I know is compelled to check their email at least that often, watching for all sorts of notifications, some more important than others, some with more pressing time constraints than others, but like checking the mailbox or listening for the telephone to ring was for much of my earlier life, most of us are now tethered to email (for some it may be texting or both).

By the way, for the vast majority of immigrants settling in Canada permanently, even though taking that step of becoming a Canadian citizen is hugely, hugely important (one of the most important events in my life), waiting for the oath should be little or no impediment to moving on with life.

Till i get a proper clarity or day to day updates regarding my file , ill keep ordering GCMS . IRCC officers are also abusing their authority and just delaying applications . They pick up and process whichever year application they want. Are we some sheeps ? If i could i would order GCMS everyday . And stop this stupid Covid 19 excuse. I go to work everyday even during the pandemic, i remove my mask to eat and im fine, I even got my one dose. What are IRCC officers made up of ? Glass ? they are so fragile.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Till i get a proper clarity or day to day updates regarding my file , ill keep ordering GCMS . IRCC officers are also abusing their authority and just delaying applications . They pick up and process whichever year application they want. Are we some sheeps ? If i could i would order GCMS everyday . And stop this stupid Covid 19 excuse. I go to work everyday even during the pandemic, i remove my mask to eat and im fine, I even got my one dose. What are IRCC officers made up of ? Glass ? they are so fragile.
totally agree with you

Reactions: luvtrump

tam_131

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Hello guys,
I am an August 2020 applicant with a family from Calgary. I got an FP request on July 7th and I was asked to send it to Vancouver which I did the same day. Some friends who are from Calgary and applied in August 2020 were asked to send it to Sydney. What does getting FP requests from different locations mean? Also, what would be the next steps after submitting FP? Is there any way to check on the status of the background part? Any insights would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Caroline1234

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Hello guys,
I am an August 2020 applicant with a family from Calgary. I got an FP request on July 7th and I was asked to send it to Vancouver which I did the same day. Some friends who are from Calgary and applied in August 2020 were asked to send it to Sydney. What does getting FP requests from different locations mean? Also, what would be the next steps after submitting FP? Is there any way to check on the status of the background part? Any insights would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
I was told the next step would be getting the invite for the test that if you ain’t got a criminal record

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What are IRCC officers made up of ? Glass ? they are so fragile.
Really, they are the ones who are "so fragile?" Compared to . . .

But the main thing is that reasonable, prudent, sensible applicants can RELAX. No need to get worked up. No need to be anxious. No need to go chasing shadows down rabbit holes. NO NEED to make repeated ATIP requests.

In contrast . . .
Hello guys,
That is a good question. That is, does it make a difference where the FP request directs the applicant to submit them?

Most FP requests are in the nature of the most minor form of non-routine processing applicants encounter, having minimal impact on the timeline, requested for verification not investigatory reasons. But of course applicants with significant issues can and often do also get FP requests. Your question might indeed reference a difference related to the reason why the FP request was issued, and thus in some way potentially indicate whether it was for a simple verification of identity or related to an investigatory purpose. But it might just be about the stage the application is in when the request is made.

In any event, most applicants need not worry. Just respond timely, submitting the FPs as instructed, and wait for the next step.

By the way, the applicant probably knows whether there is a concern or issue lurking behind the FP request. Qualified applicants with no reason to anticipate there is any criminal, security, or immigration-status issues in regards to them, can be quite confident the FP request is more or less a formality in verification (resulting in minimal if any delay), and not about some serious investigatory activity (which can cause significant further delay).

That is: For most it is nothing to worry about. For the others, they most likely are aware of what the issue is and why.

. . . ill keep ordering GCMS . IRCC officers are also abusing their authority and just delaying applications .
If you feel compelled to repeatedly do something that has no productive purpose, will gain you nothing, like making repeated ATIP applications, that is about you. Not about IRCC. Not about how bureaucracy works.

If a neighbour is abusing her dog, that does not excuse let alone justify anyone else abusing theirs.

And stop this stupid Covid 19 excuse.
References to timelines in the time of Covid are not about making excuses. It is a simple fact, IRCC citizenship application processing timelines have slid into extra-slow mode during the pandemic. That is how it currently is. Fantasizing things should be different does not have any more impact on what the timelines actually will be, whether for this or that individual, than pursuing an insane schedule of making ATIP requests.

I understand that much of the posting in the forum these days is about complaining, more than a little spilling into venting, and even some ranting. That's OK. It is readily understood that the timeline is frustrating.

It is not always easy to separate the venting from efforts to genuinely discuss issues or share information. Which is why distinguishing the uselessness of repeated ATIP requests is important in the context in which this comes up so frequently in this forum. Again, the discussion here has tended to invite a lot of confusion and trigger more than a little anxiety. That is not fair to most of those who are naturally anxious to see their applications proceed through the process for whom elevating the confusion and anxiety is hurtful or otherwise makes things more difficult. It is one thing to be impatient. It is an entirely different thing to unnecessarily infect others with unwarranted levels of anxiety.

But overall . . . yeah, most of the August 2020 applicants will be waiting a while longer, and some quite a lot longer. Still, no need to worry. Not for the vast majority anyway. The rest know who they are, and probably why.

Reactions: tam_131

hawat

Aug 28, 2020
well said

Reactions: luvtrump

prash42

Jun 1, 2014
I just did a Google Maps search for the closest FP agency to me that had decent reviews. It's digital fingerprinting, so they transmit it immediately to RCMP and give you a "DCN" number for tracking progress directly with RCMP. But because it's a private agency, they charged me $50, if you go directly to RCMP I think there's no fee.

Which agency did you use for FP? Where did you find the list of agencies that do it? I got the FP request in my status tracker yesterday but didn't get the email yet.

Finland

Sep 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
one question for the old ECAS is it showing the Progress all the way or it just showing when file is recived