Med's Done....
February 8 2016 (Upfront)
Passport Req..
June 8 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 10 2016
LANDED..........
Inland - June 21 2016 (Officialy PR)
When is your PR going to expire? Because you can ask them if you need to renew your PR. If they are going to delay your application, they will ask you to renew your PR.

Also for your travel plans. You have to let them know if you are going to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row. Giving them a call or submitting a webform would be the best bet.
Hi Owais,

Thanks for the response. My PR card expires in 2021 but I don't think the PR card has got anything to do with when will I be invited for the oath ceremony. Since I'll be travelling in May, it will be great to have my Canadian passport as I can travel visa-free. I'll be travelling regardless of whether I get the passport on time or not. All I have to do is just apply for the Schengen visa, but If I get my Canadian passport then I don't need a visa.

bpayne788

Star Member
Oct 17, 2018
We had our test today and although i had all documents for our minor they did not ask for any of it. They just mentioned to bring minor to the oath taking.
... I would still bring their documents as it may be case by case. Good luck!

Wonderful!

Thanks!

Owais Iqbal

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2014
Hi Owais,

Thanks for the response. My PR card expires in 2021 but I don't think the PR card has got anything to do with when will I be invited for the oath ceremony. Since I'll be travelling in May, it will be great to have my Canadian passport as I can travel visa-free. I'll be travelling regardless of whether I get the passport on time or not. All I have to do is just apply for the Schengen visa, but If I get my Canadian passport then I don't need a visa.
I asked because someone needed to renew their PR card and when they asked for advice from IRCC, they said you would get oath sooner than your PR card so wait for the oath instead renewing the PR card. In your case they might say that you can travel but be sure to carry your PR card with you.

buzzcana

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
13/09/2013
AOR Received.
09/03/2014
Med's Request
03/04/2014
Med's Done....
08/04/2014
Passport Req..
30/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon IJN
LANDED..........
March 2015 IJN
Hi Owais,

You are right. However, Note that if your oath ceremony comes close to when you are travelling, PR card would be withdrawn at the oath ceremony and you will be without either passport or PR till you apply and recieve the passport. The shengen visa might take you to where you are going but you will need either the PR card or your new Canadian passport to come back.

Owais Iqbal

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2014
You are right. However, Note that if your oath ceremony comes close to when you are travelling, PR card would be withdrawn at the oath ceremony and you will be without either passport or PR till you apply and recieve the passport. The shengen visa might take you to where you are going but you will need either the PR card or your new Canadian passport to come back.
Of course. I agree. I only asked the OP because asking IRCC if you should renew your PR or not would give you an idea if they intend to issue you the oath invitation soon.

Hari_18881

Oct 25, 2018
he or she can not disclose any questions on social media. As far i know all applicants who attanded exam were asked to not disclose question paper as it will be counted illegal and could be lead towards revoke of citizenship.or serious consequences.
I just googled and it is NO WHERE mentioned about things like "illegal", "revoke citizenship" etc just for mere sharing of test experience/questions. Entire internet is filled with sample questions, practice tests etc. I even came across threads within this forum where people posted entire list of questions from their tests. I am sure it is up to the person whether or not he wants to share the questions that he came across in his test, but I certainly don't think it is considered illegal in any way. So please self-validate the information before you post.

Please go through this link for more info:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/situtations-prevent-citizenship.html

Last edited:

PMC89

Apr 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
1122 - Professional occupations in business management consulting
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8 2015 (Received - June 10 2015)
Doc's Request.
January 27 2016
Nomination.....
May 5 2015
AOR Received.
August 21 2015
Med's Request
March 4 2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
June 8 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 10 2016
LANDED..........
I asked because someone needed to renew their PR card and when they asked for advice from IRCC, they said you would get oath sooner than your PR card so wait for the oath instead renewing the PR card. In your case they might say that you can travel but be sure to carry your PR card with you.
Oh I see, thanks for the explanation, but my PR card is not expiring any soon. It's valid till late 2021, more than 2 years. What would you suggest I do now? I am travelling on May 23rd. I am expecting I'll get my oath ceremony before that. But I also need my Canadian passport to enter since the PR card may not be valid after oath ceremony. I have to make this trip as it's for a conference

Owais Iqbal

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2014
Oh I see, thanks for the explanation, but my PR card is not expiring any soon. It's valid till late 2021, more than 2 years. What would you suggest I do now? I am travelling on May 23rd. I am expecting I'll get my oath ceremony before that. But I also need my Canadian passport to enter since the PR card may not be valid after oath ceremony. I have to make this trip as it's for a conference
If you take the oath then apply for express service for passport. That's not a big deal. The only time there can be any concern is when you are traveling and they send you oath invitation and you can't back to Canada on the date of your oath. Other than that you should be fine.

PMC89

Apr 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
1122 - Professional occupations in business management consulting
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 8 2015 (Received - June 10 2015)
Doc's Request.
January 27 2016
Nomination.....
May 5 2015
AOR Received.
August 21 2015
Med's Request
March 4 2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
June 8 2016
VISA ISSUED...
June 10 2016
LANDED..........
If you take the oath then apply for express service for passport. That's not a big deal. The only time there can be any concern is when you are traveling and they send you oath invitation and you can't back to Canada on the date of your oath. Other than that you should be fine.
But Owais, let's say if they send me an oath invitation when I am travelling, I can always tell them to postpone it right? Since I'll be away from the country they should understand that I won't be able to make it on that day

buzzcana

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
13/09/2013
AOR Received.
09/03/2014
Med's Request
03/04/2014
Med's Done....
08/04/2014
Passport Req..
30/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon IJN
LANDED..........
March 2015 IJN
I am in the same boat as you. Did my test in January, already has a ticket to travel in April. However, if my oath falls within that period, I will cancel the trip and forgo the ticket. If you recieve the date ahead and it fall to when you are travelling, I think technically you can shift it, but I also think you will have to give them a valid reason otherwise you might have to start all over again (i suppose i read that somewhere). If it comes when you are away, i think most times, they give about two weeks notice which would give you time to be back before the oath. Depending on your province, you might likely get it before you go. May seems far enough.

pat1181

Star Member
Feb 1, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am still waiting for a test invite but wondering if my son who's 17 when I applied (still minor) and now 18 will take an exam as well. Maybe someone can share if they have the same experience. I sent our application last July 29 before he turned 18 last Aug 22nd 2018.

Reactions: charmainefrances
Jul 30, 2014
Hey friends, can someone tell me what I need to bring to my citizenship test? The notice they gave me said to bring "all your original documents that support your citizenship application (as listed in the document checklist in the citizenship application form)". Does that include 2 passport photos too?
My test is this Friday at 8 and I haven't paid much attention to the required documents until now. Help much appreciated!

Owais Iqbal

Champion Member
Jan 20, 2014
Hey friends, can someone tell me what I need to bring to my citizenship test? The notice they gave me said to bring "all your original documents that support your citizenship application (as listed in the document checklist in the citizenship application form)". Does that include 2 passport photos too?
My test is this Friday at 8 and I haven't paid much attention to the required documents until now. Help much appreciated!
Passport photos is not considered document. You should take all other documents such as your passports, PR card, COPR, IELTS or any other proof of language skills, and other such documents that you submitted to support your citizenship application.