+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum seeker from UAE

Ahmed_aa

Aug 28, 2017
Hello,

I am from the UAE, currently in Switzerland for the past year living in limbo at a refugee camo with a deteriorating health physically and psychological. I am still awaiting a decision from the immigration with no deadline for the wait and with some example of refugee waiting for several non
Years without residence and papers to find decent jobs.

I am thinking of canceling my application, take my passport back from immigration, and find a way to apply for a Canadian visa from outside the UAE since me return risk my imprisonment or safety, and then travel to Canada to apply for asylum.

My question is what my canceled application here Switzerland would cause my application in Canada to be rejected ?

And is there a way to apply for a Canadian visa from Switzerland or other country and would the bassy be considerant of my situation or should I apply for a regular tourist visa ?

I have been active on social media opposing the UAE policies and I do belong to LGBTQ+ community, I do not have that much of documented support ( as in court order for my arrest or so ) mainly active in a clear way opposing from outside the country and coming out is known socially and reject so.

Please advice

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The fact you have claimed asylum in Europe, even if you withdraw your claim, would probably make it difficult to claim again in Canada. Not saying it's impossible, but probably extremely difficult with a higher than normal risk of rejection.

Who is not eligible?
You are not eligible if:

• you have another stable option for protection, such as an offer to be resettled in another country,
  • you become a citizen of another country, which will then protect you,
  • you choose to return to the country you left, or
  • the reasons you left your country no longer exist.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/outside/index.asp

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have come so far in your application in Switzerland it would be best to stay. The wait has gotten quite long for asylum in Canada and there is unfortunately no guarantee that you will receive asylum in Canada. It is actually very unlikely. Is there a specific reason you are determined ti come to Canada? You may have seen videos or articles that Canada is a wonderful place for refugees. Not all applications are accepted and many refugees struggle for years or their whole lives in Canada.

You would have to be able to get a tourist visa in order to enter Canada. If you apply and admit that your plan is to ask for asylum once you enter Canada your visa with be 100% refused. A tourist visa may be very hard to obtain and will definitely be refused if CIC realizes you are in Switzerland because you claimed asylum.

I am sorry to be so negative but you have a chance of asylum in Switzerland so I couldn't recommend leaving when there are no guarantees that you will be ale to file for asylum in another country.

Best of luck!

Ahmed_aa

Aug 28, 2017
I lived in Canada few years ago, I was a student but I had to stop my study for family matter and go back home, since then my problem got bigger and I had to leave the country and seek asylum somewhere, Switzerland was a random option close to my country and a bit familiar with.

For the past year living here and witnessing other ppl waiting time and struggle to live without priper residence I do not think I will be able to wait longer with no answer and so much limitation in my living circumstances.

Thus I have to decide what to do instead of just waiting love me the rest which many are forced to do so for the lack of other options ( not that I have better options but I still could get back my passport and try again from there ?).

Also not that much of refugees from GCC country such as UAE and Saudi Arabia but I came across some data
https://www.worlddata.info/asia/saudi-arabia/asylum.php

Which shows the direction ppl from that region head to with better chances since these destination might have better understanding of the situation in our region ( I expected this in Switzerland !? )

So really not sure how to go from here ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
And is there a way to apply for a Canadian visa from Switzerland or other country and would the bassy be considerant of my situation or should I apply for a regular tourist visa ?
Unfortunately with your current situation, your chances of ever getting a visa to come to Canada is practically zero. You should stick and continue the refugee process where you are now, as it's probably your best chance.

Reactions: kial and canuck78