+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asked to submit passport or copy of passport for EE PR application

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
I just wondered if anyone can advise me on this, just to make sure I'm going down the right route.
I've submitted my online application for PR through Express Entry via FSW after an ITA.
I just got a letter to say to submit some documents to CIC. One of them asks for either passport or copy of passport depending on whether I need a visa to enter Canada.
I checked on the CIC website to see if I need an eTA or a visa to enter Canada. I'm in the UK, and on the CIC website it says, from March I'll need an eTA to enter Canada.
I wanted to check that this doesn't count as a visa? I know this sounds a bit silly but I'm not too familiar with an eTA, and thought I'd check rather than get it wrong.
I also have a Hong Kong passport too - so I need to submit all my passport copies?

JK_CAD

Jul 10, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-Jul-2015
Doc's Request.
10-Sep-2015 (Chest X-Ray)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
31-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
09-Oct-2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
30-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
16-Jan-2016
UK comes under visa exempt country so if you are a citizen then you need to send passport copies. Check whether Hong Kong comes under visa exempt country list. I think you need to send all your passport / passport copies to be safe.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
miss_mp said:
I just wondered if anyone can advise me on this, just to make sure I'm going down the right route.
I've submitted my online application for PR through Express Entry via FSW after an ITA.
I just got a letter to say to submit some documents to CIC. One of them asks for either passport or copy of passport depending on whether I need a visa to enter Canada.
I checked on the CIC website to see if I need an eTA or a visa to enter Canada. I'm in the UK, and on the CIC website it says, from March I'll need an eTA to enter Canada.
I wanted to check that this doesn't count as a visa? I know this sounds a bit silly but I'm not too familiar with an eTA, and thought I'd check rather than get it wrong.
I also have a Hong Kong passport too - so I need to submit all my passport copies?
Submit the one you uploaded in the Passport section of in your EE application. Use that one to enter Canada.

I believe you'll still need an eTA if you travel after March if you are flying to activate your PR, but once you are PR, you do not need the eTA anymore. I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Congrats on the PPR.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for your advice JK_CAD and bellaluna :)
Yeah I think I'll submit copies of both my passports since I've included the details of both in my application. I just checked Hong Kong, and luckily I don't need a visa.
Thanks for your advice :)

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[
bellaluna said:
I believe you'll still need an eTA if you travel after March if you are flying to activate your PR, but once you are PR, you do not need the eTA anymore. I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
No, an ETA is not needed if you have a COPR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Dexmoody said:
[
No, an ETA is not needed if you have a COPR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16
Thanks for the link Dexmoody, I understand now :D