+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asked for additional information - Please help.

Panlakado

Oct 14, 2020
Hey everyone.

I made a mistake when filling in my physical presence calculator so they have asked me to create a new one and send that across - Which is fine.

Where I am confused is, as you can see on the last line of this screen shot they are requesting "When you submit your new calculator, make sure to include proof of your travel, as mentioned above"

I am unsure if they are just referring to where they mentioned "Additionally please provide proof of your entry to Canada and a non-permanent resident..[...]" or they are also requesting proof of travel for 3 dates above.

does anyone have any idea? would be really appreciated.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I made a mistake when filling in my physical presence calculator so they have asked me to create a new one and send that across - Which is fine.

Where I am confused is, as you can see on the last line of this screen shot they are requesting "When you submit your new calculator, make sure to include proof of your travel, as mentioned above"

I am unsure if they are just referring to where they mentioned "Additionally please provide proof of your entry to Canada and a non-permanent resident..[...]" or they are also requesting proof of travel for 3 dates above.
That's quite the mistake. If I understand the situation. You reported ZERO travel outside Canada for the previous five years? Even though you reported your address was outside Canada for two and a half months in 2022? And even though it appears you otherwise were outside Canada for some period of time:
-- prior to September 30, 2022​
-- prior to September 4, 2021​
-- prior to October 15, 2019​

Actually, that's more than quite the mistake if I understand the situation.

Foremost, IRCC is requesting you submit a new presence calculation showing ALL exits and entries into Canada during your five year eligibility period. Your eligibility period appears to be based on an application date of November 7, 2023, and thus the five year period is November 6, 2018 to November 6, 2023. It is imperative you do a very careful and thorough job of getting all that information right, being both COMPLETE and ACCURATE as to dates you exited Canada and dates you arrived back in Canada. ALL DATES of ENTRY and EXIT.

In addition to that, at the least, at the very, very least, IRCC is asking you to provide documentation for EVERY entry into Canada between February 26, 2018 and February 26, 2020 (even though more than eight months of that period are outside the eligibility period).

The latter is probably (I cannot say for sure) about verifying temporary resident status for periods of time in Canada prior to becoming a PR. Under some circumstances IRCC and CBSA records will not verify temporary resident status even though a Foreign National is legally in Canada, which means they most likely had temporary resident status. But to get credit for days in Canada prior to becoming a PR, there must be sufficient proof of temporary resident status. It is not at all clear to what extent IRCC is requiring applicants provide proof of status if the applicant's GCMS records do not verify the grant of status. This can happen in various situations; one of the more common ones involves an applicant who came to Canada as a visitor on a visa-exempt passport, and was waived into Canada without being formally granted temporary resident status (no visitor visa, no Visitor Record, or such).

If this is at issue, if your GCMS records do not document a grant of status for the period you were in Canada prior to becoming a PR, it MIGHT be enough (I do not know anywhere near for sure), it might be enough to get credit for pre-PR time in Canada if you can document the actual date and place of arrival.

CAUTION: Overall, your credibility is on the line. Big time. That is, the extent to which IRCC can rely on you to be an accurate reporter of the true facts is almost certainly in question. Which is not to say IRCC is suggesting, let alone alleging you made misrepresentations. Notwithstanding the extent of the discrepancy in your application. In contrast, the suggestions in IRCC's communication, about how to verify your dates of travel, are interesting, and frankly more accommodating if not friendly than what we generally see. Seems a good sign that whoever has had eyes on your application suspects a mistake not misrepresentation, despite the extent of the discrepancy involved. Best to not take this for granted. Best to make a concerted effort to get the new presence calculation PERFECTLY right, to accurately and completely report each and every time you exited Canada, every date you arrived in Canada.

Reactions: fièrementcanadien