+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

As a dual citizen (Canadian/Chinese), can I work for Canadian company while living in China?

Feb 1, 2021
I am Canadian and have an address and a bank account in Montreal.
I am also Chinese and have an address in China.
Can I work for a Canadian company in China for more than 1 year?
Will I pay tax differently in Canada as if I were living in Canada? Assuming the company pays me through my Canadian bank account.
Does the company have to pay my tax for the Chinese government too or only Canadian government?
Thanks.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But China does not recognize dual citizenships. Have you sort that out too?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
I am Canadian and have an address and a bank account in Montreal.
I am also Chinese and have an address in China.
Can I work for a Canadian company in China for more than 1 year?
Will I pay tax differently in Canada as if I were living in Canada? Assuming the company pays me through my Canadian bank account.
Does the company have to pay my tax for the Chinese government too or only Canadian government?
Thanks.
Yes, you will pay taxes

China does not recognize dual nationality. The Article 3 of China Nationality Law holds that the country will not admit the dual nationality of a Chinese citizen. Dec 30, 2020

Feb 1, 2021
Sorry I am helping my friend to ask this question, he is actually Taiwanese and I mistakenly thought Taiwan is part of China (my ignorance!)

Yes, you will pay taxes
But does the employer/company will have to file his tax return in Taiwan as well or only in Canadian?
In other words, what he wanted to know is: from the employer’s perspective, will the employer do any extra steps (e.g extra paper works) or resolve any tax issue/hassle if he decides to live in Taiwan?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry I am helping my friend to ask this question, he is actually Taiwanese and I mistakenly thought Taiwan is part of China (my ignorance!)

But does the employer/company will have to file his tax return in Taiwan as well or only in Canadian?
In other words, what he wanted to know is: from the employer’s perspective, will the employer do any extra steps (e.g extra paper works) or resolve any tax issue/hassle if he decides to live in Taiwan?
Thos all depends on whether he is a tax resident in Canada. He needs CRA to determine if he is a tax resident. If he isn’t a tax resident he would be paid as a Canadian abroad. How he gets paid will be dependent on the tax rules in Taiwan.