+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arriving to a province different from my study destination

larusx

Feb 21, 2016
Hi, here's my case: I'm an international applicant, was accepted to a PhD program at UBC and had my TRV approved. My spouse currently lives and works in Toronto on PGWP. Obviously, she's going to relocate to Vancouver.

My studies start in September but now I want to come to Toronto first and help my spouse move to Vancouver. Will I have any problems with issuing my study permit at the point of entry? (like why do you come to Ontario while you're gonna study in BC? Why so early, 4 months before the school starts?)

Should I tell the truth and be good, or it's gonna be tricky for me?

Many thanks everyone!

MedicStudent

Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in the same situation. I'll arrive to another province 3 months in advance. Just tell the CBSA officer the truth and you should be fine. Don't forget your proof of extra funds since that you are not allowed to work before the start of your program.

Abbas1

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
I am not a CBSA officer, but what you guys have is a legit reason to enter Canada so early, I wouldn't say they won't let you guys in
They are usually pretty understandable ( at least with me for the past 8 years )

I usually fly though Toronto when I leave for home ( reason is much choice of airlines to the Middle East ) I am in BC

most of the time I fly back 1 month before my classes start in September, ( it is not 4 month or 3 month ) but as I said you guys should be fine entering as long as you have a reason