+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arranged Employment in Quebec, whether to go for FSW or QSW

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

I would really appreciate your help in finding the answers of the following questions:

I am in USA right now and I have a permanent job offer from a company in Montreal, which is ready to bring me on-board in next 2-3 months. I am a bachelors in Information Technology with over 9 years of experience.

The plan is to proceed in the following manner:

1. Come to Montreal on a Temporary work permit.
2. Apply for immigration under FSW or QSW under AEO.

Now, my questions are

1. Can I apply for immigration and come to Montreal at the same time?
2. Can I apply for Federal Skilled worker or do I have to apply for Quebec skilled worker category since i will work from Montreal office. If both options are open which one should i go for? Can i do both at the same time?
3. Also I do not know any French, but I am fluent in English. Is French must for QSW?
4. If I apply for immigration after obtaining Work Permit, does it speed up processing? Any idea how long should it take?

Also, It would be great help if you can give me any other useful tips, or if you think i should proceed any other way.

Thanks

cvd222

Nov 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Request
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Done....
Apr 28, 2012
Passport Req..
April 11, 2013
If you have a job offer from a company in Montreal, you can only apply for QSW. You will not be allowed to apply for AEO option if it is a Quebec-based company. If you have your job offer validated, you can get your CSQ application (the first step for QSW-based PR) in priority processing, plus you get more points for your CSQ.

freek4iphone said:
Hi,

I would really appreciate your help in finding the answers of the following questions:

I am in USA right now and I have a permanent job offer from a company in Montreal, which is ready to bring me on-board in next 2-3 months. I am a bachelors in Information Technology with over 9 years of experience.

The plan is to proceed in the following manner:

1. Come to Montreal on a Temporary work permit.
2. Apply for immigration under FSW or QSW under AEO.

Now, my questions are

1. Can I apply for immigration and come to Montreal at the same time?
2. Can I apply for Federal Skilled worker or do I have to apply for Quebec skilled worker category since i will work from Montreal office. If both options are open which one should i go for? Can i do both at the same time?
3. Also I do not know any French, but I am fluent in English. Is French must for QSW?
4. If I apply for immigration after obtaining Work Permit, does it speed up processing? Any idea how long should it take?

Also, It would be great help if you can give me any other useful tips, or if you think i should proceed any other way.

Thanks

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks, and I believe French is still required even if I have a job offer, can I file CSQ application while i learn french and give them enrollment details?

Also, I have the job offer now but i will go to Canada after 3 to 6 months. Can i utilize this time somehow? I mean apply for CSQ in the meanwhile from USA?

cvd222 said:
If you have a job offer from a company in Montreal, you can only apply for QSW. You will not be allowed to apply for AEO option if it is a Quebec-based company. If you have your job offer validated, you can get your CSQ application (the first step for QSW-based PR) in priority processing, plus you get more points for your CSQ.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
yes, you can apply for CSQ while learning French, and you can mention in your application for CSQ that you are taking some French course (attach some letter to show its proof). Applying for CSQ early will offcourse help you save time, rather than you wait and apply after going to Montreal.

cvd222

Nov 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Request
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Done....
Apr 28, 2012
Passport Req..
April 11, 2013
freek4iphone said:
Thanks, and I believe French is still required even if I have a job offer, can I file CSQ application while i learn french and give them enrollment details?

Also, I have the job offer now but i will go to Canada after 3 to 6 months. Can i utilize this time somehow? I mean apply for CSQ in the meanwhile from USA?
Knowledge of the French language is not necessary if you have enough points, but it can greatly increase your chances of being selected by Quebec. Also, note that if you want to claim points for French, you would have to submit the results of a French language exam.

If your job offer is for a permanent position, you might also want to check with your employer regarding having your job offer validated (called "validation d'emploi permanent" - http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/formulaires/formulaire-titre/validation-emploi-permanent.html). This validation process takes about a month, and once it is validated then your CSQ application will be put in priority processing.

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks cvd222 for this useful information. I didn't know about it.

One more hypothetical question. Let's say i am working in Quebec but I get another job offer (from a different company) in Ontario. Can I use this to apply for FSW?

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
cvd222 said:
You mentioned that I can not apply for FSW if this is a Quebec-based employer. This is actually an US company and have offices in multiple locations in Canada (toronto, vancouver etc). I will work in Montreal office.

Can i get an offer from Toronto office and work in Montreal office? Is that a problem?

cvd222

Nov 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Request
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Done....
Apr 28, 2012
Passport Req..
April 11, 2013
freek4iphone said:
You mentioned that I can not apply for FSW if this is a Quebec-based employer. This is actually an US company and have offices in multiple locations in Canada (toronto, vancouver etc). I will work in Montreal office.

Can i get an offer from Toronto office and work in Montreal office? Is that a problem?
I believe it has to do with where the office is physically located, and not the headquarters. Because you will be living in Montreal, it will have to be the QSW option.

cvd222

Nov 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Request
Apr 25, 2012
Med's Done....
Apr 28, 2012
Passport Req..
April 11, 2013
freek4iphone said:
Thanks cvd222 for this useful information. I didn't know about it.

One more hypothetical question. Let's say i am working in Quebec but I get another job offer (from a different company) in Ontario. Can I use this to apply for FSW?
As long as it meets the requirements of the FSW, I believe you can apply.