+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are you elligible for CEC if you are paid less than the min wage for your NOC?

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
I am paid a lot less than the median/minimum wage for my B level NOC.
Will CEC reject me because of this? I cannot see any rules that states that a person is not eligible for CEC if they are paid less than the minimum.

I will be submitting my university degrees to strengthen my case.

Any advice?

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ThisIsHoof said:
I am paid a lot less than the median/minimum wage for my B level NOC.
Will CEC reject me because of this? I cannot see any rules that states that a person is not eligible for CEC if they are paid less than the minimum.

I will be submitting my university degrees to strengthen my case.

Any advice?
By paid a lot less, can you provide details if you don't mind sharing it? Because it could mean anything...

joelkhor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2014
I was paid alot less than average wage in my job too. But an immigration consultant confirmed that it doesn't matter as long as you are paid more than the provincial minimum wage. For e.g., in BC you have to be paid at least $10.25 no matter what job you do.

rks0101

Oct 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC does cast questions if you were paid less than minimum wages for the qualified job. But not sure where they refer to for the minimum wages for a NOC. In such cases, they assume that you were not doing the duties of the qualified job, so one could provide as many proof as possible, including the letter from company....It might help..

Other comments from forum members, could help clarify more on this..

Thx

jimmy-george

Star Member
May 12, 2011
I had asked my lawyer the same question and she said, he will have a hard time convincing the VO. Technically, you can but processing wise, difficult, I would say

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There could be cases where the applicants are not working in the declared job position, or in a much lesser position. The duties and position in the employment letter might be fabricated, but T4 & NOAs are hard to be tampered with. Income reflects the compensations for the work performed and responsibilities. It might be compared to the industry standard when the VO reviewing your application.

For example, if a barrista ($11/hr) and the manager are friends, they can try to collaborate and put him/her as assistant manager ($18/hr) for the employment letter, but the income might not support that. Also another example would be a line cook ($12/hr) vs chef ($20/hr). Assuming full-time work for a year, the salary difference could be more than $15k. Such difference would invite suspicions and further review for their applications.

Meanwhile, if the applicants are being truthful and got paid a lot less for that job position, it might indicate that these companies are underpaying foreign workers.

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
I am a qualified Industrial Designer, working for a design firm.
I'm paid $12 an hour, but the low level for Industrial Designers in Toronto is $15.16, median is $26.

Wage info here: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng.do?area=9219&lang=eng&noc=2252&action=final&regionKeyword=Toronto%2C+Ontario&s=1&source=0&titleKeyword=industrial+designer#report_tabs_container2

When I sent my CEC application last November (rejected), I included all my university diploma supplements to prove I was qualified.

Can you suggest any other supporting documents that I could include to help my case?

What if I get my boss to bump my pay up the median wage for one pay cycle, and then I could include that payslip with the application. Possible?
My employer's letter would state that I was promoted last month. Would that be accepted? Or would I have to have worked at that median wage for the full year.

What if I was to say I am in a paid internship role?

On an unrelated note, which high skilled NOC has the lowest median wage?

sensay

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Well I am under NOC B as well and the median of my profession is around $29 in Ontario and the minimum is $15 in Toronto Area
I am being paid $14. Its really hard to get a job of median range when you start as a fresher i guess and those who are getting median wage doesnt require to go through the hassles of permanent residency(obviously there are exceptional cases). Dont know what will happen :(

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ThisIsHoof said:
I'm paid $12 an hour, but the low level for Industrial Designers in Toronto is $15.16, median is $26.

Wage info here: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng.do?area=9219&lang=eng&noc=2252&action=final&regionKeyword=Toronto%2C+Ontario&s=1&source=0&titleKeyword=industrial+designer#report_tabs_container2

When I sent my CEC application last November (rejected), I included all my university diploma supplements to prove I was qualified.

Can you suggest any other supporting documents that I could include to help my case?

What if I get my boss to bump my pay up the median wage for one pay cycle, and then I could include that payslip with the application. Possible?
My employer's letter would state that I was promoted last month. Would that be accepted? Or would I have to have worked at that median wage for the full year.

Can you tell us what is the detail inside of your employment letter? You can omit the personal information inside there.

Engaging in fraudulent activities to misrepresent your case would only hurt your case even more. It will bite you later on. Please refrain from doing that.

Will your company pursue LMIA for you? Are you eligible to get nomination under PNP? Because under Express of Interest, these two factors will score you the most points.

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
retwant said:
Can you tell us what is the detail inside of your employment letter? You can omit the personal information inside there.

Engaging in fraudulent activities to misrepresent your case would only hurt your case even more. It will bite you later on. Please refrain from doing that.

Will your company pursue LMIA for you? Are you eligible to get nomination under PNP? Because under Express of Interest, these two factors will score you the most points.
What details do you need to know?

It details my:
*starting date
*my position with corresponding NOC
*my responsibilities
*hours worked per week
*my salary
*that i do not receive benefits

I am not pursuing LMIA/PNP because I am confident that the points will go down enough for me to receive an ITA soon.
I thought the LMIA was only to provide a year in a closed visa plus 600 points towards EE. Would they factor in a positive LMIA when assessing a CEC application?

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ThisIsHoof said:

You said you sent CEC application last November, do you mean Nov 2014?

As far as I know, the cap has been reached and all applications after Oct 20-ish are returned. So it's normal if you have your Nov application returned.

Have you ever received rejection letter from CIC? if yes, can you share what's written there?

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't have that much knowledge in EE, but I believe CEC got max 600 points and PNP 1200 points from LMIA or nomination. In terms of supporting documents, it seemed that you have provided what you can. Hopefully, you can get your ITA asap.

By having a much lower salary than industry standard, it may trigger the VO to check your application more thoroughly than others. There is more chance for your application to go for a second review. As long as you have solid supporting documents, chances the luck should be on your side. All the best man...

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
928029 said:
You said you sent CEC application last November, do you mean Nov 2014?

As far as I know, the cap has been reached and all applications after Oct 20-ish are returned. So it's normal if you have your Nov application returned.

Have you ever received rejection letter from CIC? if yes, can you share what's written there?
Yes, I submitted it November 2014. It was returned to me last month.
The CIC rejection letter simply stated that the overall cap had been reached, so my application has been returned.

ThisIsHoof

Nov 27, 2014
retwant said:
I don't have that much knowledge in EE, but I believe CEC got max 600 points and PNP 1200 points from LMIA or nomination. In terms of supporting documents, it seemed that you have provided what you can. Hopefully, you can get your ITA asap.

By having a much lower salary than industry standard, it may trigger the VO to check your application more thoroughly than others. There is more chance for your application to go for a second review. As long as you have solid supporting documents, chances the luck should be on your side. All the best man...
Thanks retwant. Do you work for CIC?