+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are CIC Visa Offices in USA hugely backlogged???

TempResident

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Germany/Argentina
Hello Everyone.

I was admitted to a Diploma at the University of British Columbia for Sept intake period, so I applied for a Study Permit online along with my wife work permit (SOWP) on March 21st, 2016. We are both currently living in the United States on a temporary basis.

As of now, we have not heard anything back from CIC. Neither of us need biometric nor medicals (at least thus far) based on our country of citizenship. Nonetheless, I have few questions if you guys can help me out.

Based on CIC website, study permit are processed in LA Visa Office whereas Temp Work Permits are processed in NY Visa Office. How does this process go then? Do the same officer process both applications together or are they treated separetly? We submitted both applications together and myself is the point of contact. Also, my study permit application is way pass normal processing times (4 weeks). Should I be worried?

Hopefully someone who is on the same boat can advise or anyone knowledgeable.

Thank you!

fcabrales

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Hello, Did you get any news about your study permit? I have been waiting for 5 weeks (processing time 3 weeks) and have not received any update yet.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Yes huge backlog. They are holding our passports for so long. What if an emergency happens and I need to travel to my home country. I don't understand why US canadian visa offices are so slow.

lumberjack23

Mar 17, 2015
Why they are so slow? Because they are mostly incompetent people who get stuck in a dead end job with no career progression and their productivity is severely reduced by the lack of competition or market force. Please don't shoot the messenger coz it's true!