n/a
Passport Req..
012813-email/ Submitted all docs: 040213
VISA ISSUED...
042513 PDOS.......:042613
LANDED..........
bubblebee said:
Thanks Sweden!!

I landed last December 8, 2012 and got my PR card today Feb. 14, 2013 :) Thanks everyone :D :D :D :D :D
Congrats!!

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
My wife went to service Canada the day after we landed and she got the SIN without a problem. She also opened up her first Canadian bank account with RBC, though we are thinking of opening a second account with Bank of Montreal (better deals for newcomers to Canada).

Now all we're doing is waiting for the PR card and finalizing our moving arrangements. It's kind of complicated since we still need to sell the car and prepare our two dogs for a long journey...not to mention the little one (it's a test of patience to fly with an infant!!).

Personally, I can't wait to get out of China. The pollution is so horrible! At the same time, there are some things (some) that I will miss...but not really anything directly related to China, more like Asia.

I'm somewhat stressed about moving home, though. The cost of living is so much more expensive...and the reverse culture shock after being away for 13 years is scary...

FS

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Fencesitter said:
My wife went to service Canada the day after we landed and she got the SIN without a problem. She also opened up her first Canadian bank account with RBC, though we are thinking of opening a second account with Bank of Montreal (better deals for newcomers to Canada).

Now all we're doing is waiting for the PR card and finalizing our moving arrangements. It's kind of complicated since we still need to sell the car and prepare our two dogs for a long journey...not to mention the little one (it's a test of patience to fly with an infant!!).

Personally, I can't wait to get out of China. The pollution is so horrible! At the same time, there are some things (some) that I will miss...but not really anything directly related to China, more like Asia.

I'm somewhat stressed about moving home, though. The cost of living is so much more expensive...and the reverse culture shock after being away for 13 years is scary...

FS
Congrats on the landing! you'll do fine... it's a bit stressful to move etc, but soon it will all feel like it's easy!

BMO has a deal for new immigrants with one year "free banking" with one of their "better plans" - that's what I got when I opened my account. Was quite easy!
Good luck,
Sweden

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks, Sweden...

The moving part is sad because we are basically giving up everything we have collected over the past 10 years. Starting from scratch is daunting, but it's also going to be exciting to get all new stuff...and this time we're going to go with a minimalist approach.

I know that it will be hard in the beginning, but I am prepared for it and will do my best to re-adjust to life in Canada. And hey, at least I will not be alone to do it all myself...I have my wife and son + my family in Canada...

The one good thing about our landing in BC was that my wife got to see snow...and it was snowing, too...up in the mountains, of course...When we're back in Ontario, we'll probably curse the snow...

FS

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Fencesitter said:

FS
The culture shock will be when you're standing in line at Tim Hortons and wonder why Canadians have to leave a meter of empty space between each other in lineups. ;D Somehow culture shock never seems to end for me, in some aspects.. it's good to have perspective! Exciting times for you and your family, I'm sure they will love Canada. Enroll your kid in hockey now, there are serious waiting lists!

fireluck

Star Member
Apr 20, 2012
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-04-2012
AOR Received.
10-07-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Request
18-04-2013
Passport Req..
18-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
LANDED..........
August or September 2013
Please tell me we are not going to be part of the now 12 month visa processing in Manila. Its been almost five months and still no word. It was hard enough that I got sponsorship approval with a five month wait and now this.

I can't believe I started joining this blogs while I was still pregnant last April and now my baby is almost 1 yr old... meaning that is how long my papers are getting processed. I really want to start working now but it is so hard to make arrangements with an 8 month old.

I am also starting to get lonely without being able to socialize much for more than a year. Hopefully I could meet some of you soon when weather is better here in Toronto... anddddd when my husband finally arrives.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
fireluck said:
Please tell me we are not going to be part of the now 12 month visa processing in Manila. Its been almost five months and still no word. It was hard enough that I got sponsorship approval with a five month wait and now this.

I can't believe I started joining this blogs while I was still pregnant last April and now my baby is almost 1 yr old... meaning that is how long my papers are getting processed. I really want to start working now but it is so hard to make arrangements with an 8 month old.

I am also starting to get lonely without being able to socialize much for more than a year. Hopefully I could meet some of you soon when weather is better here in Toronto... anddddd when my husband finally arrives.
Having a baby for sure helps keeping tabs ( if needed!) on time passing... wow, 8 months old! I remember you posting about having a screaming newborn! :)
Hope that you hear soon from Manilla... indeed you had to wait really long for sponsorship approval, hopefully Manilla will contact your husband soon with good news. With a baby it helps to show that your relationship is genuine, so that's a good point!
Fingers crossed for you, and StephC who are still waiting to hear anything from Manila!
Sweden

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2012 rcvd 2 May 2012
Doc's Request.
04-12-2012 sent to High Commission on 21-12-2012
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued: 14/01/2013 Rcvd: 24/01/2013
I landed on Feb 14th if you'd like to update the SS. Thanks.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Steph C said:
The culture shock will be when you're standing in line at Tim Hortons and wonder why Canadians have to leave a meter of empty space between each other in lineups. ;D Somehow culture shock never seems to end for me, in some aspects.. it's good to have perspective! Exciting times for you and your family, I'm sure they will love Canada. Enroll your kid in hockey now, there are serious waiting lists!
It was amazing to see so many people with Tim Horton's coffee cups...at all times of the day! I thought to myself that the maple leaf on the flag should be replaced with a picture of a steaming hot cup of coffee.

The other thing that got me was the "Sorry" thing. Seemed like everyone was saying 'sorry' for no real reason.

Directness of people also through me off a bit. Some guy from India or Pakistan (probably a naturalized citizen of PR) yelled at my 15 month old son because he banged his sippy cup on the table in the restaurant. He banged it about 3 times until I told him to stop...but that guy was right on us...something that wouldn't happen in Asia. He was very rude...every other word was 'F**k'...but this was at about 1am (we were still jet lagged), and it wasn't the nicest restaurant, so I suppose that's why...but still...not something I am used to...

Mostly, though, the culture shock was positive. Going to a supermarket was fantastic for us, as they had so much of everything and the prices weren't too bad (in China, they have special 'Western' stores where you can buy Western products...but the price is at least double what you would pay back home).

The banks were also a breeze...no need to get a number ticket and wait for 30 minutes...no thick glass separating the teller from the customer...very fast service...it was a dream...

Come to think of it, there were no long lines anywhere we went. We're used to huge lines and having to get places very early in order to get what we want. It's a huge hassle living in a city with half of Canada's total population!

The air...oh the air...no pollution! I didn't think I would ever taste fresh air again. And you could see the city clearly...no massive cloud of smog hanging over your head...

Customer service!!! We're so used to China living where there is absolutely no such thing as customer service...it was great to be treated with respect...

The only other thing I didn't like was the amount of tax...everything is plus tax and the tax is quite high! I'd prefer that they include the tax in the price...

I'm sure there will be more reverse culture shock as we get to living in Canada, but going from a third world country like China to a developed country like Canada will surely be a lot easier than going the other way...

FS

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fencesitter said:
The banks were also a breeze...no need to get a number ticket and wait for 30 minutes...no thick glass separating the teller from the customer...very fast service...it was a dream...

Come to think of it, there were no long lines anywhere we went. We're used to huge lines and having to get places very early in order to get what we want. It's a huge hassle living in a city with half of Canada's total population!

The air...oh the air...no pollution! I didn't think I would ever taste fresh air again. And you could see the city clearly...no massive cloud of smog hanging over your head...

Customer service!!! We're so used to China living where there is absolutely no such thing as customer service...it was great to be treated with respect...

The only other thing I didn't like was the amount of tax...everything is plus tax and the tax is quite high! I'd prefer that they include the tax in the price...

I'm sure there will be more reverse culture shock as we get to living in Canada, but going from a third world country like China to a developed country like Canada will surely be a lot easier than going the other way...

FS
Only if you go to chinese banks such as Bank of China and China Construction Bank would you expect to get a number ticket and wait for 30 minutes. If you go to HSBC, Citibank or DBS, the service is very fast like you were in HSBC in Vancouver :)

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
True, but my company uses the Bank of China, so I am basically forced to deal with them....

There is also the problem of availability, as HSBC and those other banks only have a few branches in Guangzhou.

FS

ivelinan

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Plateau Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr-24-2012
File Transfer...
Aug-03-2012
Med's Done....
May-13-2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
Feb-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb-18-2013
LANDED..........
Feb-18-2013
:eek: I got the COPR in the mail today. I cannot get over how uneventful it is once you get it ... we wait for so long and then one day you come out to walk the dog and there is it, a simple beige envelope, and it's all over, you're done! I haven't even found a way to get excited like I expected to be, LOL...

Dog is walked, now changing into something more civlized than dog park clothes, and I'm off to the border, yahhhh !!!!

I'm totally not prepared for this. I expected the COPR in the begining of March.

Any advice for the crossing? Does my husband have to come with me?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ivelinan said:
You can check this recent post:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/not-so-happy-landing-t134986.0.html;msg2079906#msg2079906

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ivelinan said:
:eek: I got the COPR in the mail today. I cannot get over how uneventful it is once you get it ... we wait for so long and then one day you come out to walk the dog and there is it, a simple beige envelope, and it's all over, you're done! I haven't even found a way to get excited like I expected to be, LOL...

Dog is walked, now changing into something more civlized than dog park clothes, and I'm off to the border, yahhhh !!!!

I'm totally not prepared for this. I expected the COPR in the begining of March.

no need for your husband to come, you can land on your own. Passport + COPR are required, and just make sure that you have the B4 filled out if you want to import anything ( now or later on!), as well as your address..

Good luck on the landing - but that's definitely an easy part! :) and yes - the beige envelop is very uneventful! but the PR card ( that comes a bit later) is quite pretty!
Sweden