+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved Super Visa

Hymerista

Aug 2, 2019
It's been a long haul, but finally I have received a letter of confirmation that my Super Visa has been approved. Question is... I'm in Canada with a Visitor Record until Dec 2023. Since the SV gets activated coming into Canada by Border Control, is it acceptable to say pop across into Montana for a day trip, or do I have to come in from my country of origin, ie the UK? Thanks for reading... I hope someone has experience of the practicalities once the SV is approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It's been a long haul, but finally I have received a letter of confirmation that my Super Visa has been approved. Question is... I'm in Canada with a Visitor Record until Dec 2023. Since the SV gets activated coming into Canada by Border Control, is it acceptable to say pop across into Montana for a day trip, or do I have to come in from my country of origin, ie the UK? Thanks for reading... I hope someone has experience of the practicalities once the SV is approved.
You risk being denied entry if you do so. How long have you been visiting Canada? TRVs and supervisas aren’t meant to live in Canada permanently so would depend on how long you have been visiting and the ties you have to your home country like a home in your home country. The best option would be to try and extend your stay on your TRV without leaving Canada and on your next visit to Canada use your supervisa.

Hymerista

Aug 2, 2019
Thanks Canuck 78....I'm aware of the temporary residence status that I absolutely comply with, and I'm not looking to live in Canada permanently whilst here on a Visitor Record and then a Super Visa, I know my responsibility to comply - but I also have sponsorship being processed which will give PR, and then I will apply for citizenship at the appropriate time 2-3 years further down the line, but for now, I still have my property and ties back in the UK. IF the sponsorship doesn't happen, then I return to the UK according to my Visa status. The point of my question was, to activate the Super Visa, can I just pop over the border to the US for a day trip, to activate it on the way back over the border? Or do I, MUST I, return to the UK (my home country), to then activate the SV at the border on return from there. Obvs, a day trip to Montana is a darn site cheaper than a flight back to the UK, (and I've never been to USA) .... it's the little practicalities of interpretting the rules that are never quite clear enough to make informed decisions! So based on you saying I risk being denied entry, is that if I go over to the States? And is that documented anywhere? I've read more policies and legislation than I did when I was working full time investigating breaches of policies and legislation! So much for retirement!! :rolleyes:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Canuck 78....I'm aware of the temporary residence status that I absolutely comply with, and I'm not looking to live in Canada permanently whilst here on a Visitor Record and then a Super Visa, I know my responsibility to comply - but I also have sponsorship being processed which will give PR, and then I will apply for citizenship at the appropriate time 2-3 years further down the line, but for now, I still have my property and ties back in the UK. IF the sponsorship doesn't happen, then I return to the UK according to my Visa status. The point of my question was, to activate the Super Visa, can I just pop over the border to the US for a day trip, to activate it on the way back over the border? Or do I, MUST I, return to the UK (my home country), to then activate the SV at the border on return from there. Obvs, a day trip to Montana is a darn site cheaper than a flight back to the UK, (and I've never been to USA) .... it's the little practicalities of interpretting the rules that are never quite clear enough to make informed decisions! So based on you saying I risk being denied entry, is that if I go over to the States? And is that documented anywhere? I've read more policies and legislation than I did when I was working full time investigating breaches of policies and legislation! So much for retirement!! :rolleyes:
Technically it is possible to try and go to the US and reenter but you are at risk of being denied entry on your return. CBSA doesn’t like when people try to use the border to initiate visas or permits and many limit the amount of time and people they allow to flagpole. If your parent wants to extend their visit they should apply online for a visitor record based on their current entry on a TRV. Not worth the risk of having your parent stuck in the US being refused entry.

Hymerista

Aug 2, 2019
Technically it is possible to try and go to the US and reenter but you are at risk of being denied entry on your return. CBSA doesn’t like when people try to use the border to initiate visas or permits and many limit the amount of time and people they allow to flagpole. If your parent wants to extend their visit they should apply online for a visitor record based on their current entry on a TRV. Not worth the risk of having your parent stuck in the US being refused entry.
I can see the sense in that.... I just wish there were crystal clear rules written down for everyone to see.... when 'rules' require interpretation, you can get them SO wrong!! Looks like its a trip backto Blighty for me then eh? Ah well... chance to tie up some more loose ends as well as have a few messy nights with the pals back there!! Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!