+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying with Expired Passport

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
Question to people who applied with an expired passport. How did you answer question 6-E

"Are there any gaps in time in the validity period of your passports"

It's a bit confusing because there is no valid passport for there to be a gap.

catharines

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Question to people who applied with an expired passport. How did you answer question 6-E

yes there is a gap, and you explain why you did not renew your passport.

Reactions: septimius

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Should be ok.

However, as a general rule one should always keep travel documents valid/ready, just in case u need to travel urgently. (Specially if u have family overseas). Otherwise not really necessary

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
. . . people who applied with an expired passport. How . . . ?
I did not apply with an expired passport but I am fairly confident the response by catharines covers it.

The "gap" is from the date the passport expired to the date the application is made.

There are many possible explanations. The truthful explanation is the one the applicant should give.

For some, a passport cannot be renewed through an embassy in Canada and would require a trip abroad, which the PR may decline to do for many reasons, ranging from financial or lack of time concerns, to a variety of personal or pragmatic reasons. Even if the passport can be renewed without going abroad, a Canadian PR does not need a valid passport unless the PR intends to travel abroad, and can merely decide to not renew the home country passport as a personal choice.

There are some PRs who absolutely should NOT renew or otherwise obtain a passport from another country: PRs who came to Canada and obtained status in Canada as a refugee or protected person.

Thus, adding a caveat, a big exception, to the general rule noted by canvis2006:

However, as a general rule one should always keep travel documents valid/ready, just in case u need to travel urgently. (Specially if u have family overseas).
See topic discussing cessation of protected person status. Reminder: if a PR-refugee obtains a home country passport that creates a presumption of reavailment, which is grounds for cessation of protected person status. Cessation of protected person status automatically terminates PR status. No formal procedure for terminating or revoking PR status is involved in this. There are scores of citizenship applicants whose cases are still in question due to this, including more than a few who may have read advice in this forum that it was better to have a currently valid passport when applying for citizenship . . . and indeed, there are more than a few reports that some were told essentially the same by CIC/IRCC call centre representatives.

Thus illustrating another general rule, that is that often there is no one rule that fits all.

Danielari2016

Star Member
Jan 25, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016

Hi
Did you get your citizenship? did they ask any explanation letter or returned your application anything because i will be qualify on August 11 and my passport will expire on September 11 but i am not thinking about renew or extension until i get Canadian Passport.