+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying to be a permanent resident as an international students

emiliec

Feb 6, 2007
Hi,
I am currently looking for information on how to apply to become a permanent resident toward the end of your degree as an international students. I dont manage to find any information on that. Do you know any website I can refer to....Do you know how the application process works? Is there a point system?
Thanks a lot to all of you,
Sincerely,
Emilie

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

emiliec said:
Hi,
I am currently looking for information on how to apply to become a permanent resident toward the end of your degree as an international students. I dont manage to find any information on that. Do you know any website I can refer to....Do you know how the application process works? Is there a point system?
Thanks a lot to all of you,
Sincerely,
Emilie
Suggest you start at www.cic.gc.ca

PMM

emiliec

Feb 6, 2007
Hi,
I did start looking on the CIC website, but I find it hard to find the information I need. I was wondering if students in my same situation could share their experience with me (eg:if they have been studying in Canada as international students for 4 years and are coming towards the end of their degree and wish to remain in Canada).
Thanks a lot,
Emilie

tanvirmk

Star Member
Jan 30, 2005
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 June
AOR Received.
24 Aug 2015
File Transfer...
27 Aug
Med's Done....
April 2015
I am an international student and applied for PR. How can I help you?

eria

Jan 22, 2007
you can get a job letter easily by using your contacts here, if you succeed to have one then you may apply for canadian immigration right away

aksafi

Feb 22, 2007
Saudi Arabia
You may apply for a work permit after your garaduation, where You must submit your application for a work permit within 90 days of the issuance of your final marks while your study permit is still valid... However, this is a temporary work permit and I don't know if it's possible to apply for permanent residance at that situation...

I have the same plans of continuing my education in Canada (get the master's degree) then work their and become a permanent resident... So if anyone has information or experience it this please share it with us...

Thanks

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
You cannot apply for pr while being a student. You can prepare your application and once you have finished your schooling, you can apply..if you have a work permit you can re-apply and if immigration agrees they will let you stay and work until your application is granted or they may have you go outside of canada until it is accepted.

But if you already have a job and your employer wants to keep you then he has to apply under the employers act and go by what immigration standards. More than likely you will be accepted but then all depends on how immigration looks at your present situation.

Isabel1108

Feb 22, 2007
Hi

i was in your same situation. I had to leave Canada because, having studied political science and history, there were very little jobs that would fall under my field of study. Im trying to apply from abroad but i need a full year of work experience. I trying to get a job in Canada with the same company im working for now. Its my only option so far along with waiting for a full year of full time work experience... I hope you have better luck!!

emiliec

Feb 6, 2007
Hi everybody.
Thanks to all of you for your answer. It maked me fell less lost!!!!

Tanvirnk, could you tell me how you apllied concretly? (ie: where you download the forms, what are the required documents...)

I'm sure you all experience or experienced the same troubles as I did: my university knows NOTHING about those matters, which is really silly as there are many international students here.

To sum, your options when you graduate are:
*to get a one year work permit in the field of your study
*or to apply for permanent residency.
Am I correct???
(the third option obviously being to leave Canada willingly and to go back home)

Best of all to all of you and thanks again!!!!

Emilie

aksafi

Feb 22, 2007
Saudi Arabia
Hey Emilie, looks like u still dont get it!

Let me elaborate on the options u mentioned

1) After u graduate, you can apply for a work permit to work there in Canada in the SAME field of your studies for a maximum of two years (or as long as your emloyer needs you?? citation needed) and while u are working u can apply for a permanent residance, where your application will be processed in Buffalo's Canadian visa offica, USA...

2) Under all situations, You CANNOT apply for a permanent residance UNLESS u have AT LEAST one year of full-time paid work experience AND meet the minimum required points to apply (which are currently 67 out of 100). Take the assessment @ www.cic.gc.ca.

So getting back to the 1st option... It's better to find a job there in Canada after you complete studies. And then after you complete one year of work, you shall apply for PR where your application will be processed in Buffalo's office, where it takes from 2-4 years, meaning u should be still be working in Canada. Also I've heard some complications in corssing the US borders if u were called for an interview there............

I think it's a bit of a complicated process. Anyway I hope the veterans in this forum give there feedback if it wasn't as complicated as i think...

Hope i've given u some insights....

tanvirmk

Star Member
Jan 30, 2005
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 June
AOR Received.
24 Aug 2015
File Transfer...
27 Aug
Med's Done....
April 2015
dear emiliec,

If u are from USA and Canada, u have to apply to Buffalo. You can get all the forms here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/skilled.html

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/buffalo/visas/permanent_resident_application-en.asp

Hope it helps :)