+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for spousal sponsorship immediately after marriage = suspicious?

perring

Jan 30, 2009
Hi, my girlfriend (Canadian citizen) and I (US citizen) are deciding to apply via spousal sponsorship immediately after we get married in the states. Do you think it's okay to do this or does it look suspicious to the immigration officer?

For those who might wonder, our relationship very genuine as we have been having long distance relationship for more than two years with many documents and evidence to back it up.

thank you.

M

med

to apply right after the marriage is right and there is nothing wrong with that at all you just need provide enough evidence to show that ur relationship is genuine and in ur case u said u have that so dont worry abt it then .

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
We submitted our application 1.5 weeks after we returned from our honeymoon.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would think an officer would be more cautious about a couple that waited months or even years to submit a sponsorship.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I agree that there's certainly nothing suspicious about filing your application soon after marriage. I think most people do this. I would think that CIC understands that you want to be together as soon as possible, so the sooner you file, the sooner that can happen.

We filed 3 months after our marriage but only because I was in India for 2.5 months after our marriage. As med said, the most important thing is that you provide CIC with lots of documentation of your relationship -- emails, letters, phone records, photos, etc. to prove that your relationship is genuine and continuing. Good luck.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Canadian Immigration law says that your spouse is eligible to be sponsored as soon as you are legally married - that, in and of itself, will not cause suspicion. Marriage, however, does not preclude you from the requirement of providing proof that the marriage was not entered into primarily to facilitate the entry of the foreign national to Canada - your relationship will still be scrutinized, so provide evidence of the development and ongoing nature of your relationship prior to your marriage, and since.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Why can't they take a liar detector rather than providing documents as a proof the relationship is genuine. Wouldn't be easier!!!

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MARLENA said:
Why can't they take a liar detector rather than providing documents as a proof the relationship is genuine. Wouldn't be easier!!!
lol that will solve the immigration problem once and for all i like your idea

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Perhaps not 100% accurate but definitely will tell you if you are lying or not about your relationship and it can prove if it's genuine one as well rather providing some fake documents.

lisa_joanne_uk

Star Member
Apr 11, 2009
UK
Hi, this has all been very helpful to me but i was wondering if anyone could help me out. I've looked around at all the websites everywhere but i can't find a proper description of what is needed to sponsor someone, things like how much they'd need to be able to sponsor someone in the first place or how much they need to earn? If anyone can help with whats needed that'd be great, thanks in advance,
Lisa :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For spousal and or kids sponsorship you don't need any certain income or money. Just as long as you aren't on welfare.

lisa_joanne_uk

Star Member
Apr 11, 2009
UK
Thankyou :) No wonder i'm so confused. I'm not sure where i read this, but it said that he would need proof of income and things to prove he could financially support me, but he does work. So there is no set limit?
Lisa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he was sponsoring other family members, there would be a income requirement but for spouse and kids, it's waived so no, there is no limit.