Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
10-09-2010
Some background information:

- I am a US citizen
- My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen
- We are planning to get married in a simple ceremony in July here in the US at city hall
- I was recently turned back at the border because the border agent didn't feel I was planning to return to the US despite both of us traveling back and forth to see each other for the last five years
- We plan on submitting our application with me in the US

Some questions:

- Does our marriage being at a city hall as opposed to a big lavish wedding make a difference?
- With us submitting with me int he US, do I have to remain in the US until things are decided?

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
FHRocker said:
Some background information:

- I am a US citizen
- My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen
- We are planning to get married in a simple ceremony in July here in the US at city hall
- I was recently turned back at the border because the border agent didn't feel I was planning to return to the US despite both of us traveling back and forth to see each other for the last five years
- We plan on submitting our application with me in the US

Some questions:

- Does our marriage being at a city hall as opposed to a big lavish wedding make a difference?
- With us submitting with me int he US, do I have to remain in the US until things are decided?
Married is married, period. Especially with a 5 year background before marriage! Are any of your family members going to be there as it would help to have pictures and such. My husband and I drove down to Vermont to get married in December and it was just the two of us. We had to wait for my FBI report to come in to file (over 10 weeks) and he was recently approved to sponsor me for outside spousal. I, like many spouses however, am living with him in Canada while waiting. We just had to show the border guards that we had enough funds for him to support me while I was waiting and that I had health insurance to cover me incase something bad happened. They ended up giving me a 7 month visitor's record and I'll go a get a new one once that expires in July. They did say, however, that if I hadn't filed by the time it expires that they wouldn't give me a new one and I would be turned away.

I have also been back and forth across the border about once a month since december with absolutely no hassles. I just tell them I have an application in process and show them my receipts (though they never look at it) The next time I cross next week will actually be the first time I'll cross the border where I'll actually be in the system so basically as long as you have a nice long visitor's record in your passport, they aren't going to hassle you too much (I suppose until it gets close to expiring)

I think that maybe you got turned away because you weren't married yet after all that time. Once you have that marriage certificate in hand and some receipts showing that you will be applying you shouldn't have an issue. I'd go ahead and get your FBI report done now, its taking them 12-13 weeks according to what I've read recently.

good luck!

FHRocker

Mar 22, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
10-09-2010
plumosa said:
Married is married, period. Especially with a 5 year background before marriage!
Ok, was a little worried. Also, a bit worried that we'll probably marry then file the paper work as soon as possible after that. Am hoping that doesn't flag it as "marrying for convenience for the pr" or whatever.

Are any of your family members going to be there as it would help to have pictures and such.
Some of my family will probably be there and his son will be there most likely as well so we'll have a small group there. Nothing huge for now :)

I

iarblue

Will not hurt anything get married how ever you two wish and all the photos you feel are relevant to your relationship like trips outings whatever include them to prove you are committed to eachother,phone calls,passport stamps of your visits.And it cant really be a marriage of convienece you have been together for five years and if they did say it was thats crazy.You will apply outland and your PR papers will go to the visa office likely buffalo.
Once you apply and he is approved to sponsor about 60 days then they will send it to the visa office in buffalo where they do your portion of the app for the PR.
All they really want to see is your relationship before marriage and after.
Good luck if you have any other questions were all here to help it go as smooth as it can were all in the same bus.climb on