+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR on Visitor Visa

ashishry

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hi Experts,

I am a PR in Canada (Ontario). My Girlfriend is in India. She will be visiting Canada and we will be doing a civil marriage here. After the marriage I want to apply for her PR. meanwhile applying for PR, my lawyer told me that he would also apply for her Work permit and she can start working in Canada until her PR is approved.

My question is that, Is this scenario possible? And what precautions should I take before doing this?
Kindly reply

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Experts,

I am a PR in Canada (Ontario). My Girlfriend is in India. She will be visiting Canada and we will be doing a civil marriage here. After the marriage I want to apply for her PR. meanwhile applying for PR, my lawyer told me that he would also apply for her Work permit and she can start working in Canada until her PR is approved.

My question is that, Is this scenario possible? And what precautions should I take before doing this?
Kindly reply
Hi

Doea she already have a TRV? You can apply inland and include an OWP app. The OWP is granted about 3-4 months after submission. Save yourself the money on the lawyer and do it yourselves; it's pretty straightforward.

Note that a civil marriage for Indians is generally a big red flag, as it is very much against the cultural norm of the large wedding.

Reactions: Bryanna

ashishry

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Hi

Doea she already have a TRV? You can apply inland and include an OWP app. The OWP is granted about 3-4 months after submission. Save yourself the money on the lawyer and do it yourselves; it's pretty straightforward.

Note that a civil marriage for Indians is generally a big red flag, as it is very much against the cultural norm of the large wedding.
Thanks for the reply.

She has a visitor visa right now. She will be visiting me in May 2018.

What do you mean by "You can apply inland" ?? Request you to please elaborate this line as its really new for me. Just need little brief steps to start with once she is in Canada in the month of May.

Regards-