+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR abroad

tkoMTL

Apr 17, 2014
Hello,

I lived in Quebec first as a student for 3 years and then on post-education work visa for another three. Since my visa expired and I wasn't able to do my PR (long-story)I moved back to the states and have been living there for the past 6 months.
My questions are:

Since I had to leave the country, can I still apply for the PR If I'm no longer living there?
If I can't get the PR, would I be applying for the work visa instead?
If I apply for the work visa, do I still need sponsorship from a company in order to be admitted (I worked in the industry of my degree for about a year in QC)?
Does it help my case at all that I had lived in the country for several years?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can apply for PR from outside of Canada if you qualify to apply. Have you verified that you qualify to apply and through which program?

To qualify for a work visa, you'll first have to find an employer in Canada who is willing to offer you a job.

tkoMTL

Apr 17, 2014
I'll be applying as a skilled worker, having worked in my field. I presume I have the general eligibility, as I speak French and am in good health. Not sure what the other conditions would be other than financial self-sufficiency?
I had heard that it was possible to gain a work visa as a skilled worker instead of requiring sponsorship, but I'm guessing that it was actually permanent residency as a skilled worker that they meant?

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
It's only 6 months that you left Canada? You may be eligible for PR in the canadian experience class (depending on what you did during the 3 years of post-education work permit). Yes, you can apply from outside Canada in this class.

And since you studied in QC, you may be eligible under the quebec skilled worker program - that is, if you intend to live in Quebec.

dior12

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would apply under QSW - PEQ if you plan to live in quebec, have evidence of intermediate french language and have worked for one year in the last 5 years. You will get the PR within a year and in fact it's faster processing from outside canada (nevermind it seems you live in USA so you would still have to go through CPP-ottawa).

tkoMTL

Apr 17, 2014
What would the average processing time be for someone applying for the US in this case?
I've read anywhere from 13-24 months...

tkoMTL

Apr 17, 2014
If I send in all of my documentation with the initial application (e.g. Medicals, background checks, language test results) will that speed up the process or do I have to wait for them to ask me for the documents specifically?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tkoMTL said:
If I send in all of my documentation with the initial application (e.g. Medicals, background checks, language test results) will that speed up the process or do I have to wait for them to ask me for the documents specifically?
Follow the instructions in the application package for the stream you are applying. It states what is required at submission stage and what will be asked for later. On the premise you are a US citizen check if NAFTA (TN) stream is an option for you.

tkoMTL

Apr 17, 2014
I noticed that the processing times vary greatly between sending the application to the US-New York office vs. the Ottawa CP Office.

Since I am from the US is it possible for me to just send my documents straight to Ottawa for the faster processing time or will I have to go through the NYC office?

Thanks.