+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship with expired passport

mahsak2003

Jul 17, 2015
Hello All,
I just applied for citizenship. I came to Canada in May 2013. My passport got expired sep 2014. We have no embassy here and I never renewed my passport. I always worked here. I was on maternity leave for 1 year and received EI. During my maternity leave, my baby and I attended many medical visits. I never left Canada. of course T4s are available and all taxes are filed. Do you think If they would return my application? I would appreciate your thoughts.

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
Hello All,
I just applied for citizenship. I came to Canada in May 2013. My passport got expired sep 2014. We have no embassy here and I never renewed my passport. I always worked here. I was on maternity leave for 1 year and received EI. During my maternity leave, my baby and I attended many medical visits. I never left Canada. of course T4s are available and all taxes are filed. Do you think If they would return my application? I would appreciate your thoughts.
on the CIC guide they clearly mention you can apply with expired passports
but upon experience it's always better to send a brief explanation with your application to clarify the reasons ( also to clarify that that's the only passport in your possession)
in your case since you have already sent your application, , now it totally depends on the officer who's reviewing your file either accept it or asks you for verification

Last edited:

mahsak2003

Jul 17, 2015
. I believe I have to clarify my question. I understand that we can have expired passport, but they need a way to be able to track my physical presence in Canada. Just Imagine if I left Canada for 3 years. I know my T4 would show that I worked here but my concern is about the 1 year maternity leave.I already added the explanation to my application.

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
. I believe I have to clarify my question. I understand that we can have expired passport, but they need a way to be able to track my physical presence in Canada. Just Imagine if I left Canada for 3 years. I know my T4 would show that I worked here but my concern is about the 1 year maternity leave.I already added the explanation to my application.
in work & education section did you mention dates when you were( homemaker, on maternity leave)? did you enclose the birth certificate of you child?
if your answer is yes,then you have nothing to worry about

mahsak2003

Jul 17, 2015
Hey Montrealita, Thank you for your reply. I added all my work record. I provided them with my baby birthdate and the name of the hospital where I gave birth to her. I explained that during my maternity leave I attend many Dr. visits and I provide them with my baby and my own Dr's name. I also mentioned that on November that year I attended DAT exam. ( which is also trackable)

montrealita

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
Montreal Canada
Category........
Hey Montrealita, Thank you for your reply. I added all my work record. I provided them with my baby birthdate and the name of the hospital where I gave birth to her. I explained that during my maternity leave I attend many Dr. visits and I provide them with my baby and my own Dr's name. I also mentioned that on November that year I attended DAT exam. ( which is also trackable)
Great then why you're worried? you did everything in your power to cover every angle, now kick down and relax as you can't predict the future nor the concerns of the officer,so stay guilt free and takes things one at a time.

Last edited:

Danielari2016

Star Member
Jan 25, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016
Hello All,
Hi
Did you get your citizenship? did they ask any explanation letter or returned your application anything because i will be qualify on August 11 and my passport will expire on September 11 but i am not thinking about renew or extension until i get Canadian Passport.

Danielari2016

Star Member
Jan 25, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
AOR Received.
16-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
14-06-2016
on the CIC guide they clearly mention you can apply with expired passports
but upon experience it's always better to send a brief explanation with your application to clarify the reasons ( also to clarify that that's the only passport in your possession)
in your case since you have already sent your application, , now it totally depends on the officer who's reviewing your file either accept it or asks you for verification
Hi
Did you get your citizenship? did they ask any explanation letter or returned your application anything because i will be qualify on August 11 and my passport will expire on September 11 but i am not thinking about renew or extension until i get Canadian Passport.