+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship with an expired passport

Moonlight240

Feb 12, 2014
I realized that my passport has already been expired since March last year.

I would like to know if my application will be returned/rejected/RQ based on that ground. Should I renew my passport before sending my application ?

Has anyone had any such experience if a valid passport is preferred during the citizenship process to avoid any delay or confusion issues ?

Thanks

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Moonlight240 said:

I would like to know if my application will be returned/rejected/RQ based on that ground. Should I renew my passport before sending my application ?

Has anyone had any such experience if a valid passport is preferred during the citizenship process to avoid any delay or confusion issues ?

Thanks
I would say renew your passport and then send your application. I doubt the renewal takes more than 2 weeks (guessing).

Also make sure you photocopy all the pages on both passports and include a letter explaining that you renewed your passport on this day and that you held no other passports in between both passports. It's better to spoon feed the CIC than to have them figure everything on their own.

My passport will expire this year and my application is in process. I will not apply for a new passport unless an emergency forces me. BTW I applied last year as per my signature below.

Good Luck

Moonlight240

Feb 12, 2014
I read other posts that renewal closely before applying to citizenship, might red flag the application. Also, does the time gap between old passport expiry and renewal affect my application ?

Thanks...

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont see why there is a problem with renewing passport if it expired, its completely normal. I wouldnt leave a gap between passports so it wouldnt look like you got one in between, traveled with, then "lost" it, and got a new one. Either get one before it expires or dont renew it all together

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you're better off securing a new passport before submitting your citizenship application. Your file would look questionable if you don't have a valid travel document (i.e., unexpired passport). Your actual residency would be in doubt past the validity of your last expired passport. This would only prolong the processing of your citizenship application.
The time you need to get a new passport is nothing compared to the agonizing wait to get an incomplete citizenship application ironed out.
Good luck.

yafayu

May 8, 2011
No, you do not need a valid passport to apply for citizenship. My passport expired 2 years ago and I didn't plan to travel so why do I need to renew my passport? And I still got my citizenship my oath is march 15 2014 so you figure. Remember, passport is not a mandatory document when you don't need to travel abroad. No one can force you to renew and obtain passport if you don't need it.

I got my citizenship in 8 month, I applied July 2013. However I didn't leave Canada for pass 10 years. So a expired passport will not affect your case.

Moonlight240 said:

Thanks