+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

APplying for citizenship: I don't have my first passport

bikkil

Jul 16, 2020
Hello all

Below is my timeline:

07-Jun-2017: Became PR
29-Jun-2017: Left Canada (after staying about 3 weeks)
08-Jun-2019: Came back to Canada
15-Jun-2022: Will sign my citizenship application

Here is what it says on the application form:
List all of your travel documents or passports covering your 5-year eligibility period. If there are any gaps between documents, provide an explanation. You will be asked to show us the original documents during the processing of your application.
Now I entered/landed in Canada on 07-Jun-2017 using passport 1, but shorlty after I arrived back home (on 29-Jun-2017) I rceived my passport 2 (which I used to enter Canada on 08-Jun-2019) but I had to submit passport 1 to the passport Authority. I do have scanned copy of all pages of passport 1 and can enter it in my application form but will this be a problem with IRCC? Do I submit all pages of passport 1 but what if they ask for the hard copy of passport 1 which I don't have?

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Hello all

Below is my timeline:

Now I entered/landed in Canada on 07-Jun-2017 using passport 1, but shorlty after I arrived back home (on 29-Jun-2017) I rceived my passport 2 (which I used to enter Canada on 08-Jun-2019) but I had to submit passport 1 to the passport Authority. I do have scanned copy of all pages of passport 1 and can enter it in my application form but will this be a problem with IRCC? Do I submit all pages of passport 1 but what if they ask for the hard copy of passport 1 which I don't have?
As far as I know, the only time they might ask for a hardcopy is if you are called for an interview, which doesn't happen for most people. My advice is that, by way of preparing for that possibility, you get some evidence that the "passport authority" kept your first passport. Otherwise, be ready to prove that you were in Canada during the relevant period except for the 3 weeks.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello all

Below is my timeline:

This could be a problem if you have non Eng/Fr stamps on the passport which would require translation. Without a physical verification of original no translator would do that.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
This could be a problem if you have non Eng/Fr stamps on the passport which would require translation. Without a physical verification of original no translator would do that.
Not quite so. When I had my stamps translated by Docbase, I just emailed them scanned copies. They worked with those, and IRCC had no issues with their "authenticated" translations.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Not quite so. When I had my stamps translated by Docbase, I just emailed them scanned copies. They worked with those, and IRCC had no issues with their "authenticated" translations.
I had stamps in Russian, Turkish and Arabic. Without exception, all of them verified the original on the passport before signing off. If I were in their place, I would not have done it either. Given how simple it is to manipulate digital images.

Reactions: MrChazz