+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship from abroad

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
My friend is residing abroad for work and wants to know if it is allowed to apply for citizenship from abroad and where the test and interview will take place. I looked into this but I can't find any applicants who did so. Any experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jok5r

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Citizenship Grant application has to be done in Canada (even if they could send the app from abroad). All the processing stages are only done Inland which include test/interview, oath and sometimes Finger Print and Residence Questionnaires.

Reactions: CitizenSoon
Sep 17, 2018
My friend is residing abroad for work and wants to know if it is allowed to apply for citizenship from abroad and where the test and interview will take place. I looked into this but I can't find any applicants who did so. Any experience?
hi
i don't think that is possible but unless your friend is applying for a proof of citizenship which I'm also applying for tjat is possible but if its grant of citizenship then i don't think so unless someone has done it they can share.

munter

Apr 12, 2014
It can be done, I have done it. I used a consultant, all correspondence went through them. I gave my residence abroad. No issues

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
I was on a business trip in Europe on October 11 last year, when the new bill came into the force, and I immediately prepared and mailed the application from abroad. There were no issues/delays because of that during the citizenship procedure.

Later notice times for test/interview, and ceremony were around three weeks.

munter

Apr 12, 2014
Same experiences my friend had like others. Application submitted and he visited twice for test and oath. Citizenship application is simplest application ever. They don't even ask spouse or children info either. No it just funny caz I saw you proudly commenting in every thread about your getting citizenship while staying overseas. This is very simple application and in fact 99% get that without spending pennies but you had to hire a lawyer.
I gave my experience, to aid others, there is nothing to suggest pridefulness in any of my posts. I was asked to give my experience, not your "friend"'s experience. So I can only give what i have experienced first hand. Whatever I'm willing to spend is my own choice and money may not be important to me. I didn't state that anyone had to hire a consultant (not a lawyer) and I didn't state the cost.

The reason I gave my experience is because I see anxiety here about applying from abroad and I see sometimes other posters expressing doubt about doing it and needlessly increasing applicants anxiety.

Isn't sharing your experience to help others the purpose of this message board? Why is that a proud thing to do?

munter

Apr 12, 2014
That's what was doing as well. On top of that reassuring others that they don't need to hire anyone for the simplest application.
My question was

"Why is that a proud thing to do?"

in reference to this

"No it just funny caz I saw you proudly commenting in every thread about your getting citizenship while staying overseas"