+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian passport urgently/expressly while living in small city without passport office

jaideuxchats

Jan 7, 2017
Hi,

I recently became a Canadian citizen. I have received my certificate. Coupled to this joyous event is a recent family death, and I wish to travel to my home country to be with my family and to help them in this process. Now, I am thinking of applying for my passport on an urgent (2 business days) or express (2-9 business days) basis. Below is my situation, and I am looking for suggestions.

1. I live Prince George, a small city in Northern BC. Only Passport Offices can accept urgent or express passport applications. And there is no Passport Office here. However, there is a Service Canada here that accepts regular passport applications.

2. Prince George seems to be roughly equidistant to Vancouver, Edmonton and Kelowna, which all offer either urgent and/or express passport services.

3. I do not yet have a trip booked, because of the COVID-related complications involved in traveling to my home country. Therefore, I will only start to book the trip after I have obtained my Canadian passport. However, I do have the death certificate.

4. On the official passport application website, the following are listed as proof that passports are needed on an urgent or express basis:

Proof you need the passport can be
  • an airline, bus or train ticket
    • if travelling by car, a written statement explaining why you need to travel
  • a travel itinerary showing proof of payment
  • proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
  • a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport
    • for example, for legal, banking or residency requirements

My specific questions are the following:

A. If I don't have a trip booked, but can produce the death certificate, would I qualify for urgent (2 business days) or express (3-9 business days) service? How would the Passport Office treat my case?

B. If I opt for the express service (3-9 business days), are they able to send the passport to me by courier? Or, are both urgent and express services for pick-up only? I would much prefer it if they can send it to me by courier because making trips to cities with Passport Offices is very expensive for me. If I have to make another round trip to pick up the passport, it would be too expensive.

I may have to contact Passport Canada directly for advice. But if anyone has any insights, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks

le chat orange

Jul 20, 2018
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you will be able to visit your family soon without too much trouble.

This is my own opinion to the best of my own knowledge, NOT to be taken as fact.

A. I think the best and easiest option is if you purchased a flight and had proof of that. You could try showing them the death certificate and whether or not it is accepted will be up to their discretion.

B. Yes they will mail it. However, I was told the timeframe refers to when they will send it; it doesn't include shipping. They will not take responsibility if you miss your flight. You can pay an extra fee to pick up in person which will guarantee you receive your passport in time. Perhaps purchase a flight ticket that allows you to make changes; if your passport doesn't arrive in time, you can always edit the departure date.

Reactions: jaideuxchats

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I’m sorry about your family’s loss and this new stressful situation.

I suggest calling Passport Canada to see what they can do for you, given your location. You might be able to arrange an in-person appointment and get your passport on the same day you apply, or have an express/urgent courier option. Good luck.

Reactions: jaideuxchats

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
A. If I don't have a trip booked, but can produce the death certificate, would I qualify for urgent (2 business days) or express (3-9 business days) service? How would the Passport Office treat my case?
My guess is that they would process you on the urgent basis if you take the death certificate, and write a request/plea letter explaining circumstances. If you also had at least a reservation or printout of available flights you though tyou could take, that would strengthen your case.

I have heard of cases of same-day turnarouds for truly urgent cases and I suspect they would for someone who had to travel from Prince George - if you ask nicely and epxlain. No gurantees though.

Good luck.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

I recently became a Canadian citizen. I have received my certificate. Coupled to this joyous event is a recent family death, and I wish to travel to my home country to be with my family and to help them in this process. Now, I am thinking of applying for my passport on an urgent (2 business days) or express (2-9 business days) basis. Below is my situation, and I am looking for suggestions.

1. I live Prince George, a small city in Northern BC. Only Passport Offices can accept urgent or express passport applications. And there is no Passport Office here. However, there is a Service Canada here that accepts regular passport applications.

2. Prince George seems to be roughly equidistant to Vancouver, Edmonton and Kelowna, which all offer either urgent and/or express passport services.

3. I do not yet have a trip booked, because of the COVID-related complications involved in traveling to my home country. Therefore, I will only start to book the trip after I have obtained my Canadian passport. However, I do have the death certificate.

4. On the official passport application website, the following are listed as proof that passports are needed on an urgent or express basis:

My specific questions are the following:

B. If I opt for the express service (3-9 business days), are they able to send the passport to me by courier? Or, are both urgent and express services for pick-up only? I would much prefer it if they can send it to me by courier because making trips to cities with Passport Offices is very expensive for me. If I have to make another round trip to pick up the passport, it would be too expensive.

I may have to contact Passport Canada directly for advice. But if anyone has any insights, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks
I’m sorry about your family’s loss and this new stressful situation. if you apply airtkt with death certificate you can get passport same day if your guarantor and reference timely response keep in mind passport canada do not provide guarantee about time limit