+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for a US Visa

ronnicane

Jul 30, 2012
hi! newbie here. I am from the Philippines. Got my Canada immigrant visa just this week. I am planning to apply for a US tourist (B2 visa) here in the Philippines and visit my friend in Seattle Washington, stay there for 1 week before officially migrating to Canada this coming November. My questions is during the interview at the US embassy here in the philippines "does it help if i will tell the officer that after visiting US, i will go directly to Canada for good because I'm holding an Canada immigrant visa and will not be back in the Philippines"? Or disclosing that information may cause rejection of my US visa application? please help
Thanks

dohcmike

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
september 19, 2011
Doc's Request.
additional documents request february 2012
AOR Received.
december 15,2011
IELTS Request
included already
File Transfer...
january 2012
Med's Request
april 11, 2012
Med's Done....
april 18, 2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
July 03, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Issued July 31,2012 (received aug 16,2012)
LANDED..........
Later this year.
ronnicane said:
hi! newbie here. I am from the Philippines. Got my Canada immigrant visa just this week. I am planning to apply for a US tourist (B2 visa) here in the Philippines and visit my friend in Seattle Washington, stay there for 1 week before officially migrating to Canada this coming November. My questions is during the interview at the US embassy here in the philippines "does it help if i will tell the officer that after visiting US, i will go directly to Canada for good because I'm holding an Canada immigrant visa and will not be back in the Philippines"? Or disclosing that information may cause rejection of my US visa application? please help
Thanks

imo,its Much better if you apply your us tourist visa once youre in canada already for a greater chance of approval.us embassy in the phil is much stricter especially for filipinos applying tourist visa.

ronnicane

Jul 30, 2012
Thanks for the quick response. I already scheduled an appointment with the US Embassy here in the Philippines. I just don't know if I'll tell them that I'll be migrating to canada after my vacation in their country.

gtboh

Jul 31, 2012
hi ronnicane. i also applied for the same type of US visa last week and fortunately got approved. i believe it helped that i told the consul who interviewed me that my intent is to do a short trip and buy quality winter clothes before landing in canada. i told the consul that visa is stamped on my passport and i showed her my COPR.

i wish you all the best in your interview.

ronnicane

Jul 30, 2012
hi ronnicane. i also applied for the same type of US visa last week and fortunately got approved. i believe it helped that i told the consul who interviewed me that my intent is to do a short trip and buy quality winter clothes before landing in canada. i told the consul that visa is stamped on my passport and i showed her my COPR.
i wish you all the best in your interview.

-Hi Gtboh! Thank u very much for the very helpful information. So, we have exact same situation. Actually, I've applied 3x for this kind of visa but was denied. Twice in 2007 and the last time was in 2009. I don't even know why. All my colleagues who also applied was approved that year. Just having second thoughts because I will be applying a visa here in our country and I'm assuming that I need to go back to the country where you got your visa. Thanks to you, my problem is now solved. By the way, how many days are you going to spend in US? I declared 7 days in DS-150. Thanks again

gtboh

Jul 31, 2012
you're welcome, ronnicane! our situations are similar in a lot of ways. i was denied naman twice (2008 and 2009) which i declared in the form. i indicated 2 weeks of stay in the US. it might be helpful for you to know that when i was asked if i'm working in canada, i said i will be. the consul then asked how much will i be earning and i responded with an estimate range.

good luck again! i hope everything goes well with your interview.

gtboh

Jul 31, 2012
ronnicane, i forgot to mention that the consul asked if it was my first time to apply for a US visa. i guess it was her way to check if i would be truthful during the interview, even if i did declare my previous denials in the form. i told her it was my third.