+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a closed work permit (intra company transfer) after temporary resident visa approved and stamped

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
Hi there

I am in a rare situation (I guess). I hope there are a few others who might have dealt with this before or have some experience who can help me with this scenario.

Background:
We are in the US and carry Indian passports. My spouse's employer filed for intra company transfer work visa which is in process (close to 3 weeks since they filed, and biometrics were completed). My application was filed as TRV (Temporary Resident VISA) as dependent along with my spouse.

My current employer in the US confirmed they will file for my intra company transfer work VISA recently, but it is going to take a month to actually file as they are in process of collecting all the necessary documentation.

My spouse wants to leave the company if I get my visa approved, and get an open work permit after we land in Canada unless my employer agrees to file her open work permit (we will pay all the fees for the permit). Her employer didn't file my open work permit though we were ready to pay the fees.

Questions:
  1. If I get my passport stamped with TRV visa, how long my closed work visa might take to complete? Will it be same time to process irrespective of the earlier approval?
  2. If my spouse gets a closed visa (intra company transfer visa) stamping done, how about converting or getting an open work permit before even we land in Canada on her closed visa status?
  3. Do I need to send my passport and my dependents passports for stamping again if everything goes well and my visa is approved?
  4. We want to utilize this opportunity, and spend time in India while my visa is in process and a decision is made (My spouse and all dependents have our passports will e stamped with visa before we travel to India). Will that complicate this entire situation in terms of processing or getting the visa stamping done for all of us?
  5. Any other things I need to keep in my mind or I didn't thought of asking.
Sorry for too many questions. I couldn't find any similar situations mentioned here by me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
-P

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there

I am in a rare situation (I guess). I hope there are a few others who might have dealt with this before or have some experience who can help me with this scenario.

Background:
We are in the US and carry Indian passports. My spouse's employer filed for intra company transfer work visa which is in process (close to 3 weeks since they filed, and biometrics were completed). My application was filed as TRV (Temporary Resident VISA) as dependent along with my spouse.

My current employer in the US confirmed they will file for my intra company transfer work VISA recently, but it is going to take a month to actually file as they are in process of collecting all the necessary documentation.

My spouse wants to leave the company if I get my visa approved, and get an open work permit after we land in Canada unless my employer agrees to file her open work permit (we will pay all the fees for the permit). Her employer didn't file my open work permit though we were ready to pay the fees.

Questions:
  1. If I get my passport stamped with TRV visa, how long my closed work visa might take to complete? Will it be same time to process irrespective of the earlier approval?
  2. If my spouse gets a closed visa (intra company transfer visa) stamping done, how about converting or getting an open work permit before even we land in Canada on her closed visa status?
  3. Do I need to send my passport and my dependents passports for stamping again if everything goes well and my visa is approved?
  4. We want to utilize this opportunity, and spend time in India while my visa is in process and a decision is made (My spouse and all dependents have our passports will e stamped with visa before we travel to India). Will that complicate this entire situation in terms of processing or getting the visa stamping done for all of us?
  5. Any other things I need to keep in my mind or I didn't thought of asking.
Sorry for too many questions. I couldn't find any similar situations mentioned here by me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
-P
You can’t just switch from ICT to OWP. If you file after one of you has been approved for ICT it could take up to 6 months to get the OWP.

pixydust

Feb 16, 2022
You can’t just switch from ICT to OWP. If you file after one of you has been approved for ICT it could take up to 6 months to get the OWP.
Is it.. o_O

What should I do now? Enter Canada with my spouse's ICT and get my OWP (it's already in process). Then wait until my ICT is approved and file my spouse's OWP while working under ICT?

I am a bit confused. Please suggest what would be the best solution for me based on my scenario.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is it.. o_O

What should I do now? Enter Canada with my spouse's ICT and get my OWP (it's already in process). Then wait until my ICT is approved and file my spouse's OWP while working under ICT?

I am a bit confused. Please suggest what would be the best solution for me based on my scenario.

Thank you.
If your wife doesn’t want to work for the employer you should withdraw her ICT and add her OWP based on your ICT.

Reactions: pixydust