+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply to extend TRV in final term of study?

SiRo

May 7, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Hi all,

I recently applied for a study permit extension, which was approved. My new study permit has a validity until November 2024. However, my TRV has the same validity as my old study permit i.e until only April 2023. I am currently in my final term of study and expect to graduate in April 2023. I would like to submit an application to get my TRV extended as well. However, when I went through the questionnaire on the IRCC portal, one of the documents it asked for was 'Proof of Next Terms Enrolment' which I'm not sure I can get since this is my final term. Does that mean I cannot apply to extend my TRV at this moment? I am planning to apply for PGWP after I graduate but I would like to get my TRV extended as well, if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
Unless you leave Canada, you don't need a new TRV now. You can apply for it, after you get your PGWP. If you are going to travel and then re-enter Canada, you need an active TRV and would need to apply for it.

SiRo

May 7, 2021
Category........
STUDY
But I'd like to have a valid TRV so that, in case I have to return to my home country, I'd still have a way back into Canada. PGWP processing takes a very long time.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
But I'd like to have a valid TRV so that, in case I have to return to my home country, I'd still have a way back into Canada. PGWP processing takes a very long time.
Yes, it takes 5–6 months. When you apply for PGWP, you enter an implied/maintained status, which enables you to work full time until you get your PGWP document approved. If you leave Canada after you submit the application, you lose this status. Which means, you can return to Canada, but you cannot work until your PGWP is approved. Keep that in mind.

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
Yes, it takes 5–6 months. When you apply for PGWP, you enter an implied/maintained status, which enables you to work full time until you get your PGWP document approved. If you leave Canada after you submit the application, you lose this status. Which means, you can return to Canada, but you cannot work until your PGWP is approved. Keep that in mind.
He cannot re-enter Canada if he doesn't have a valid TRV and has left on a maintained status.

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
I'm unsure if you can use your study permit to apply for a new TRV (or extension) because your studies might be completed. However, this link might be useful in your particular situation: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309