+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply study permit in USA

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
Hi everyone!

Right now, I'm holding F1 - Full-time study in USA, my USA visa stamp will be expired on October, 2013, but my I-20 still is valid until I finish my degree at May, 2014.

During the time from this September, 2013 to May, 2014, I want to apply to a college in Canada, 8.5 months program. If I'm accepted by that college, is it possible for me to apply study permit in USA.

I read that Visa office in Los Angeles will issue study permit application for people "in USA", I'm not sure if I'm applicable for this situation or not. I'm Vietnamese, and I don't want to return to my country, Vietnam, to submit my application, because it will cost me a lot of money to fly back and forth.

Hope somebody can give me precise answer.

Thank you guys so much.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
DavidDM said:
Hi everyone!

Right now, I'm holding F1 - Full-time study in USA, my USA visa stamp will be expired on October, 2013, but my I-20 still is valid until I finish my degree at May, 2014.

During the time from this September, 2013 to May, 2014, I want to apply to a college in Canada, 8.5 months program. If I'm accepted by that college, is it possible for me to apply study permit in USA.

I read that Visa office in Los Angeles will issue study permit application for people "in USA", I'm not sure if I'm applicable for this situation or not. I'm Vietnamese, and I don't want to return to my country, Vietnam, to submit my application, because it will cost me a lot of money to fly back and forth.

Hope somebody can give me precise answer.

Thank you guys so much.

Tell me one thing. When will you graduate?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
Yes once you finish your studies here, you can apply for Study Permit from Los Angeles Consulate. I have done the same thing. Now waiting for my visa :) I am also in USA currently

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
shradzsaraf said:
Yes once you finish your studies here, you can apply for Study Permit from Los Angeles Consulate. I have done the same thing. Now waiting for my visa :) I am also in USA currently
Thank you so much for your respond, and congrats for your visa. I still have minor questions.

You said once I finish my studies, I can apply for Study Permit, right? But once I finish my studies, I'm only allowed to stay in USA 30 days before I have to return to my country. For that reason, I believe I will not have enough time to apply anymore. So can I apply for Study Permit while I'm studying (in January, February, for example)?

Do I apply online or have to apply via mail or by person?

I read somewhere that I need to submit medical paper with my application since I submit it instead of waiting for them to require to avoid the processing time. Is that correct?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
DavidDM said:
Thank you so much for your respond, and congrats for your visa. I still have minor questions.

You said once I finish my studies, I can apply for Study Permit, right? But once I finish my studies, I'm only allowed to stay in USA 30 days before I have to return to my country. For that reason, I believe I will not have enough time to apply anymore. So can I apply for Study Permit while I'm studying (in January, February, for example)?

Do I apply online or have to apply via mail or by person?

I read somewhere that I need to submit medical paper with my application since I submit it instead of waiting for them to require to avoid the processing time. Is that correct?
You are welcome. Yes once you get admission in a college in Canada, you can apply for the Study Permit. Since you are saying your visa in USA will expire 30 days after your graduation, that would be June right? If that is the case, you should apply for the summer session 2014 in a Canadian college.

If you apply for September 2014 session, you will not get visa before July no matter how early you apply. The processing time at the Los Angeles Consulate is 8 weeks. It does take minimum 40 days to get your visa. I think by then your visa in USA would have expired.

Do one thing, search for colleges in Canada that offer admission in the Summer session. I am sure there must be many. And tell me the exact date your visa expires in USA.

I applied by paper application. Whether you apply online or by paper application, it takes approximately same time. Just a week less or more. If you have been living in the USA for the past one year , then you do not need to get medical done.

Let me know if you have any other queries :)

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
shradzsaraf said:
You are welcome. Yes once you get admission in a college in Canada, you can apply for the Study Permit. Since you are saying your visa in USA will expire 30 days after your graduation, that would be June right? If that is the case, you should apply for the summer session 2014 in a Canadian college.

If you apply for September 2014 session, you will not get visa before July no matter how early you apply. The processing time at the Los Angeles Consulate is 8 weeks. It does take minimum 40 days to get your visa. I think by then your visa in USA would have expired.

Do one thing, search for colleges in Canada that offer admission in the Summer session. I am sure there must be many. And tell me the exact date your visa expires in USA.

I applied by paper application. Whether you apply online or by paper application, it takes approximately same time. Just a week less or more. If you have been living in the USA for the past one year , then you do not need to get medical done.

Let me know if you have any other queries :)
Thank you. I understand right now. I have been staying in America since this January, so probably it will be one year next year.

My F1 visa will be expired at October, 22nd, 2013, but I still am allowed to stay and study until I graduate as long as I keep my status as full-time student. Is that a problem?

When you said if I apply for August session next year, I will not get visa before July, does that mean even though I am approved, LA consulate still hold my passport and my visa and will not send back to me until July?

And I did contact to the college I intend to apply to, and I'm waiting for their answer about admission in Summer Semester right now.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
DavidDM said:
Thank you. I understand right now. I have been staying in America since this January, so probably it will be one year next year.

My F1 visa will be expired at October, 22nd, 2013, but I still am allowed to stay and study until I graduate as long as I keep my status as full-time student. Is that a problem?

When you said if I apply for August session next year, I will not get visa before July, does that mean even though I am approved, LA consulate still hold my passport and my visa and will not send back to me until July?

And I did contact to the college I intend to apply to, and I'm waiting for their answer about admission in Summer Semester right now.
The Fall session in Canada starts in September. The processing for Visa in Los Angeles Consulate starts in June for study permit. I applied on May 22 but still have not got my Visa. So it takes approximately two months for visa to come. So if you apply even in April, the process will start in June itself. I do not know anyone who applied for Study permit in LA consulate and got their Visa before July. Its quite a long wait :mad:

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
shradzsaraf said:
The Fall session in Canada starts in September. The processing for Visa in Los Angeles Consulate starts in June for study permit. I applied on May 22 but still have not got my Visa. So it takes approximately two months for visa to come. So if you apply even in April, the process will start in June itself. I do not know anyone who applied for Study permit in LA consulate and got their Visa before July. Its quite a long wait :mad:
OMG! Really! I thought they encourage us submit application as soon as we have acceptance letter. Now if they only begin the process in June, there is no way for me to stay in State and wait. And I thought I read on their website that the processing time for LA Consulate is 4 weeks as you said.

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
Not four weeks . 8 weeks. Yes thats the truth. And nowadays its even harder to get visa early.

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
shradzsaraf said:
Not four weeks . 8 weeks. Yes thats the truth. And nowadays its even harder to get visa early.
Sorry, 8 weeks, my mistake.

How about I submit my application since January or February? Do you think it's better or they still wait until June to begin the process?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
you could apply. Its your wish. If you apply for summer session, then yes you should apply by february. then you might get your visa by april or may. But for the september session, whether you apply in january or february, it wont be processed before june.

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
shradzsaraf said:
you could apply. Its your wish. If you apply for summer session, then yes you should apply by february. then you might get your visa by april or may. But for the september session, whether you apply in january or february, it wont be processed before june.
I see your point. So it will really depend on the time when program will begin, right?

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013

DavidDM

Jul 11, 2013
shradzsaraf said:
yes exactly
Well, thank you again for your help. I really appreciate this. Can I have your email, so if I have more questions related to the process, I can contact you, if you don't mind?