+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply PR or Spousal Sponsorship?

adi.urban

Star Member
Jul 9, 2016
Hi,

I have a question about my situation. I came to Canada last year in August on PR and have a full-time job in Toronto. I'm an Indian citizen and was single when I became PR. I'm engaged to be married in a month, we tried to get my fiancee a TRV(without me writing an invitation letter) which was just rejected due to lack of Travel history and Purpose of Travel.

She was a Masters degree and a full-time job with 3+ yrs of experience and willing to write IELTS and do the paper.

My question is regarding the following options and which one would work best for our situation:

Option 1: Outside Spousal Sponsorship from India, with a current processing time of 12 months. We will be able to prove our marriage with pictures, marriage certificate, the website we met through, wedding cards, etc.

Option 2: She writes her IELTS and files for her PR with the necessary paperwork. With the current processing time of 1-2 months(last I checked). And we attach our marriage certificate with the application.

I'm leaning towards OPTION 2 because of the shorter timeline and considering I'm well versed in the paperwork required with she even getting points from my sister(also PR).

I would Appreciate a reply.

-Best

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
I think, Option 2 does not fit for your wife as you are already a PR. You should go for sponsorship, I believe .

Apply TRV again ..

Option 3: wait for one year and get your citizenship and she will automatically receive PR.

adi.urban

Star Member
Jul 9, 2016
I think, Option 2 does not fit for your wife as you are already a PR. You should go for sponsorship, I believe .

Apply TRV again ..

Option 3: wait for one year and get your citizenship and she will automatically receive PR.
I moved here in Aug 2017, I think I still have 2 yrs and 2 months to go. For option 2, even I'm not sure if she can apply for PR and I going to talk to IRCC tomo on phone. And asking immigration lawyers as well.

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
Aug 2017 means you have only 14 months to become citizen if you did/will not leave the country .

appar

Nov 24, 2017
Quebec
Category........
FSW
Just chiming in here. AFAIK you don't automatically become a citizen after 3 years. You can apply for citizenship after residing for 3 years. You then take a test and submit documents after which you have to wait a year before you get your citizenship. So you won't become a citizen till 2021.

Kirchenbomb

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Just to correct you option 2 timeline is not 1-2 months but 6 months. Some people get it in lesser time some dont.

Reactions: adi.urban

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Apply TRV again ..

She will NOT automatically receive PR regardless of OP's status. The sponsorship process is the exact same whether the sponsor is a PR or a citizen.

romrumrira

Champion Member
Jan 9, 2016
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi,

I have a question about my situation. I came to Canada last year in August on PR and have a full-time job in Toronto. I'm an Indian citizen and was single when I became PR. I'm engaged to be married in a month, we tried to get my fiancee a TRV(without me writing an invitation letter) which was just rejected due to lack of Travel history and Purpose of Travel.

She was a Masters degree and a full-time job with 3+ yrs of experience and willing to write IELTS and do the paper.

My question is regarding the following options and which one would work best for our situation:

Option 1: Outside Spousal Sponsorship from India, with a current processing time of 12 months. We will be able to prove our marriage with pictures, marriage certificate, the website we met through, wedding cards, etc.

Option 2: She writes her IELTS and files for her PR with the necessary paperwork. With the current processing time of 1-2 months(last I checked). And we attach our marriage certificate with the application.

I'm leaning towards OPTION 2 because of the shorter timeline and considering I'm well versed in the paperwork required with she even getting points from my sister(also PR).

I would Appreciate a reply.

-Best
If your spouse has enough Points, just go w EE. One of my friend was in your situation exactly. And I helped her to filed for PR under EE. She got PPR in 29 days LOL

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
I waited 11 months under CEC category ..

adi.urban

Star Member
Jul 9, 2016
She can certainly go with the Express Entry option if she wants to. Just because you're a PR doesn't mean she's forced to go through the sponsorship process.
That is what I was thinking. Just trying to get some legal advice as well if Option 2 is acceptance via IRCC current process.

adi.urban

Star Member
Jul 9, 2016
Just chiming in here. AFAIK you don't automatically become a citizen after 3 years. You can apply for citizenship after residing for 3 years. You then take a test and submit documents after which you have to wait a year before you get your citizenship. So you won't become a citizen till 2021.
I agree that is going to take some time.