+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply immigration under 2 classes

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
Hi,

If I already proceed immigration under Federal skilled class, can I proceed under Canadian Experience Class? I just started my Federal class application, and it will take 1.5-2 years. If the new class is faster, I will consider apply it. Do I need to withdraw from my existing applications? Or can I apply both?

Does anyone know the timeline of the new Canadian Experience Class? Based on the CIC website, it seems that the application is approved or rejected once AOR is received.. so 3 months??

Dave

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cant have applications going for CEC and FSW at the same time.  You would have to withdraw your FSW to apply for CEC.  This was already discussed on another thread here, see http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/from-federal-skilled-worker-to-canadian-experience-class-t10705.0.html

Oct 21, 2008
Sorry to correct you Leon, but I think you are wrong. You cannot apply for 2 different classes on the same application. But you can certainly have 2 concurrent applications at the same time. Refer to the link below for more information, Dave.

http://cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/cec/cec-faq13.asp

By the way, I have applied for both FSW and CEC. I submitted my FSW on February 11, 2008 and my CEC on October 9, 2008. Strangely on the same date (October 20, 2008) I got the AOR for the CEC and the Initial Assessment/Medical/Interview Waiver for the FSW. I am not withdrawing my CEC though because I have sponsored my girlfriend on the CEC as her FSW was rejected in May 2008 because according to Buffalo her work experience did not fit on the NOC list for occupations in demand. Hope that helps and Good luck Dave.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's good to know then. It was BCguy who said on the other thread I linked to that you could not have 2 applications going after he had had tea with some minister or another and asked him. One question though. If your FSW is further along and gets approved and you get your PR visa through it, what happens to your CEC when you are already PR? Will it still go forward because your GF is on it or will it automatically be cancelled? You know, you could have applied also to add your girlfriend to your FSW.

Oct 21, 2008
Good point Leon! According to logic, since I have paid fees for both applications, unless I withdraw one of my applications, they should be processing both of them. As a matter of fact, I have 2 different file numbers for the 2 applications, meaning it's okay to have 2 applications and that since I paid separate fees, they are treating the 2 applications as different. Otherwise, I would probably just have 1 file number for both applications. I believe they will have to keep processing the CEC because we paid application fees for both of us under the CEC. As a matter of fact, both files show IN PROCESS on the eCas.

My girlfriend applied for FSW in 2005. We thought we would each easily qualify under FSW easily as we both studied and worked in Canada. The thing is there was some some confusion with my girlfriend's NOC and as she had not photocopied her application we were considering accessing her file through the access to information act and applealing the case...., but then decided to just resubmit a new application under the Canadian Experience Class to avoid hassles and save time and money. While filling her application up, we realized there might be a risk with her NOC once again as her post-graduation work permit had her position described as customer service representative - while her actual job was that of a trainer/instructor (as per her reference letters). So technically her work experience should have been valid. But we did not want to risk it once again.

Therefore, instead of having her apply for Canadian Experience Class separately, I decided to sponsor her. Like you say the other option was to add her to my skilled worker application. But given expected processing times of 2 years for FSW, I did not think they would send me the Initial Assessment so soon. Also, I did not want them to say given that I am resubmitting new information and paying new application fee for her, they will need to reassess my file from the start again....or ask stupid questions like.....why did not I not include her on my application as common-law partner initially.....and hence complicate the whole case. What I told them in my CEC application is that we entered the common-law relationship in March 2007 and hence when I applied for FSW in February 2008, we had been common-law for less than a year and hence I did not include her as a family member on my FSW application. I also provided proof of common-law status (shared bills, joint rental lease....)

As the Canadian Experience Class has the most simple approval process out of all economic applicant classes [least paperwork (not based on points and no need for proof of money, family ties in Canada...) even faster than the Provincial nominee as you do not have to be approved by the province first (that adds another 3 months' wait time) before you can submit your PR application to Buffalo], I decided to go that way. I am doing my medicals. As the medicals results go to Ottawa, and as both my files are in Buffalo, I am pretty sure I should be able to ask them to use the results for the CEC as well. I am hoping they send me the requests for medicals for the CEC in the days to come so that this way my girlfriend can take her medicals too and we can both receive the PRs together.

It seems the person below has already received his request for medicals under the CEC.

http://www.trackitt.com/discuss/fsw/18645731/

Keeping my fingers crossed to received mine soon.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
I too have two applications and two different numbers at the same time, one from 2006 and one from 2012. I did send a letter to cancel the 2006 one but they never came back to me or refunded me yet. they'r eboth self employed business immigration.