+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for short term 120-day work permit from inside Canada (as a student)

rob.hartley

May 10, 2023
Hi,

I have just finished an exchange year in Canada on a 1 year study permit. I have also been accepted onto an internship which takes in international students. They have told me , when I arrive at the border, to ask for the 120-day work permit (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/researcher-exemption.html) however I am already in Canada and won't be crossing the border before the internship. Is there anyway of getting it without crossing the border? Will any complication arise from my study permit still being active (until late July when the internship starts end of May)?

I have tried talking to IRCC but they didn't understand my situation.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I have just finished an exchange year in Canada on a 1 year study permit. I have also been accepted onto an internship which takes in international students. They have told me , when I arrive at the border, to ask for the 120-day work permit (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/researcher-exemption.html) however I am already in Canada and won't be crossing the border before the internship. Is there anyway of getting it without crossing the border? Will any complication arise from my study permit still being active (until late July when the internship starts end of May)?

I have tried talking to IRCC but they didn't understand my situation.

Thanks
To the best of my knowledge it's mandatory to be examined at a POE to get this exemption. Note that you would not be asking for a 120 work permit. You don't receive a work permit under this rule. Rather, you receive a work permit exemption that allows you to work in Canada for 120 days without a work permit.

Have you considered flagpoling at a US/Canada land border crossing? I'm not sure if that will work. But that seems like the most viable option if you don't have plans to leave and then re-enter Canada before the end of May.

rob.hartley

May 10, 2023
To the best of my knowledge it's mandatory to be examined at a POE to get this exemption. Note that you would not be asking for a 120 work permit. You don't receive a work permit under this rule. Rather, you receive a work permit exemption that allows you to work in Canada for 120 days without a work permit.

Have you considered flagpoling at a US/Canada land border crossing? I'm not sure if that will work. But that seems like the most viable option if you don't have plans to leave and then re-enter Canada before the end of May.
Yes I was thinking of going down to Niagra to cross the border, why do you not think that would work? And what do you mean by flagpoling?

Thanks for the quick response

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I was thinking of going down to Niagra to cross the border, why do you not think that would work? And what do you mean by flagpoling?

Thanks for the quick response
Flagpoling is the term used when you go to the US/Canadian border, exit Canada, and then re-enter Canada (without officially entering the US) in order to get a work permit issued or something similar.

I didn't say it won't work. I said I wasn't sure if this would work or not - meaning I cannot offer an opinion on this. Normally we see people flagpole for work permits. This is for a work permit exemption which is different. Logically it should work but I haven't seen any similar cases and cannot comment on that.

rob.hartley

May 10, 2023
Flagpoling is the term used when you go to the US/Canadian border, exit Canada, and then re-enter Canada (without officially entering the US) in order to get a work permit issued or something similar.

I didn't say it won't work. I said I wasn't sure if this would work or not - meaning I cannot offer an opinion on this. Normally we see people flagpole for work permits. This is for a work permit exemption which is different. Logically it should work but I haven't seen any similar cases and cannot comment on that.
Okay fair enough, a day trip Niagra it seems is the answer.