+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for a Study Permit and an Open work permit at the same time

David417

Jun 27, 2015
Hello all,
I'm now a Full time Master's student in Quebec. I'm going to finish my master program in this semester. I have obtained a new CAQ for my PhD program (2015-2019). I'm now applying for a full time study permit for PhD program. My wife now is in China. I have some question:
1. Should I apply for her an open work permit (OPW) at the same time with my study permit application? If so, CIC will approve my study permit at the same time with her OWP or not?
2. Is it possible that they will approve my study permit but will refuse the open work permit? or approve both? or refuse both?
3. How long does it take to get a final decision from CIC if I apply study permit+ OPW at the same time?
4. If she got a OPW, does she need to apply for a visa TRV?
Thank you very much for your time!

himal015

Jan 30, 2015
Nepal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
David417 said:
Hello all,
I'm now a Full time Master's student in Quebec. I'm going to finish my master program in this semester. I have obtained a new CAQ for my PhD program (2015-2019). I'm now applying for a full time study permit for PhD program. My wife now is in China. I have some question:
1. Should I apply for her an open work permit (OPW) at the same time with my study permit application? If so, CIC will approve my study permit at the same time with her OWP or not?
2. Is it possible that they will approve my study permit but will refuse the open work permit? or approve both? or refuse both?
3. How long does it take to get a final decision from CIC if I apply study permit+ OPW at the same time?
4. If she got a OPW, does she need to apply for a visa TRV?
Thank you very much for your time!
1)Yes you can apply study permit and OWP at time..But there is no sure that both study permit and OWP will be granted. Many cases where Study permit is approved but not OWP.. You should convince VO that your spouse will return to China after your studies. You have to show that She is coming to Canada just to help your studies .
Better option is to apply study permit and PR.. In Express entry, both can apply..
2) Generally they dont refuse your study permit but OWP can be refused...
3) See processing time in CIC website..Applying online is faster if you are within Canada. apply your spouse's application also online.. Later CIC , Ottawa request your spouse passport. At that time you can reply that your spouse is in China. They will let your spouse to submit passport in China.
4) Obviously, she needs TRV. China is not visa-exempt country..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp?country=China,%20People%E2%80%99s%20Republic%20of

David417

Jun 27, 2015
Dear Himal015,
Thank you very much for your great feedback!
One more question, after she get a OWP, how to apply for TRV? or we must apply for a TRV first? I thought CIC will release the TRV at the same time with the OPW and we don't need to apply for a TRV.

himal015

Jan 30, 2015
Nepal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
David417 said:
Dear Himal015,
One more question, after she get a OWP, how to apply for TRV? or we must apply for a TRV first? I thought CIC will release the TRV at the same time with the OPW and we don't need to apply for a TRV.
You have to apply OWP and Temporary Resident Form at same time

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
David417 said:
Dear Himal015,
The OWP application includes a trv. The trv will be issued of application is approved and work permit issued at the point of entry.

David417

Jun 27, 2015
Dear all,
I'm inside Canada now and applying for a new Study Permit and Open work permit for my wife but I did not see the TRV form IMM5257 for my wife document checklist, any suggestion for me? I'm sure that we need a TRV to enter Canada:
This is my checklist:

Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student (IMM5709) (required)
Marriage License/Certificate (required)
Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (required)
Proof of Means of Financial Support (required)
Passport or travel document (required)
Letter of Acceptance (required)
Use of a Family Member Representative for Online Applications (IMM5713) (required)

And this is my wife check list:
Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295) (required)
Family Information (IMM5645) (required) (Opens a new window)
Purpose of Travel - Other (required)
Digital Photo (required)

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

David417 said:
Dear all,
I'm inside Canada now and applying for a new Study Permit and Open work permit for my wife but I did not see the TRV form IMM5257 for my wife document checklist, any suggestion for me? I'm sure that we need a TRV to enter Canada:
This is my checklist:

Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student (IMM5709) (required)
Marriage License/Certificate (required)
Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (required)
Proof of Means of Financial Support (required)
Letter of Acceptance (required)
Use of a Family Member Representative for Online Applications (IMM5713) (required)

And this is my wife check list:
Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295) (required)
Family Information (IMM5645) (required) (Opens a new window)
Purpose of Travel - Other (required)
Digital Photo (required)

1. You will apply inside Canada and your spouse outside. She is not eligible to apply inside Canada, she must file in China. Separate TRV/OWP application for her. Application for OWP includes request for TRV as well.

Deepuvnma

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hi Seniors,

My student visa approved yesterday. My friend suggested me to apply for EE. I have enough experience and IELTS score.

Can i apply for express entry now?

Does it effect my approved student visa?

Experts please kindly suggest me a good idea.

Thank you :)