+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply as a skilled worker or as a student?

peyton

Nov 17, 2008
I will be moving to Canada in Fall 2009 as a Ph.D. student. However, I checked the requirements for the skilled worker category and I have more than enough points to qualify as a skilled worker. Am I right in assuming that even if I were to apply today (well, theoretically), I still wouldn't get approved for the skilled worker category before August 2009?

So then, I have a dilemma: do I apply for permanent residence as a skilled worker now, or do I move to Canada as a student and then apply for permanent residence under the skilled worker category? I could really use some help here. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Any suggestions? I appreciate any and all help.

peyton

Nov 17, 2008
Just as an addendum: I am not considering applying under the Canadian experience class because it would further delay the process. Here is an estimated timeline to show how going that route would further delay the process for me.

Ph.D. program start: Late August/early September 2009.
Get a Master's degree (en route to the Ph.D.): Summer 2011
Get 1-year work experience in Canada: Summer 2012

So, if I go that route, I cannot even file my application for permanent residence until Summer 2012. Hence, I decided to not follow that route.

F

feras80

Hello
It's better to move to Canada as student, and apply later for PR when you get there.
Good luck

peyton

Nov 17, 2008
Thank you for your response, Feras. I am thinking along the same lines too. Could you (or anyone else) please let me know about the possible timeframe for the skilled worker category?

Let's say I get to Canada in August 2009 as a student and prepare the whole application packet for submission by late September/early October of 2009 and mail it out. If my application is accepted, am I looking at Spring 2011 or Summer 2011 for permanent residence, or later than that?

Once again, I appreciate any and all help.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Timeframe If you went PNP as International Student,You get nomination about 3-4 months processing for most PNP

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't forget that the skilled worker program is changing. In the future, it will be built on certain occupations that are needed in Canada. A list of occupations will be posted soon. New applications are already subject to the new rules so you have no way to know if you qualify until the new rules are posted. If the rules were not changing, you could apply as a skilled worker and expect to get your PR in average 19 months. Now that they are changing, if your occupation is on the list, it might be faster, if it is not, nobody knows yet.

There isn't too much info about this on the CIC website yet, just some snippets if you read through their news releases. There is a speech by the new minister here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/speeches/2008/2008-11-13.asp where he promises to release the list of occupations soon.

ghiaskhan

Though there is no list of occupations so far issued by the Canadian government, things will remain cloudy until a final decision is published by the government . Going to canada as a student can cost you quite a lot. But with your Ph.D you will be able to apply for immigration Under Canadian Experiance class. You are the best judge to decide how will you go about it. Good luck.

KGB

Nov 15, 2008
If you apply as a international student (and not as a permanent resident) you will have to pay anything from a 100% to a 1000% more for tuition depending on the University.
(I think it is less of a problem for a Ph.D.)
I am a law student in a similar position.

peyton

Nov 17, 2008
As a Ph.D. student, my entire tuition and fees will be paid by the university, and I will be given a stipend (not very generous, but albeit enough to pay for my living expenses). So thankfully, I will not have to worry about paying tuition out of my own pocket.

BCGuy, 3-4 months? That's much faster than I thought... is that for PNP in most states or just BC?

Leon, thank you for that information. I've been reading this forum and noticed that everyone was waiting for the new announcement; I was just curious about the general timeframe. Your post was very helpful. Thank you.

ghiaskhan, since I won't be able to apply under the CEC until Summer 2012 at the earliest, I am more interested in the skilled worker category (or the PNP).

KGB, good luck in your endeavors. I received a professional graduate degree from the US and I understand what you mean when you mention costs. I hope it all works out for you.

Once again, thank you all for your help. I really appreciate the promptness of your responses.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Look up the Provincial nominee program of the PROVINCE you are going to study in and find out if they have an International Graduate category which they should,Take it from there,Most Provinces finish processing their nominations in 3-4 months