+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied under CEC - Bridge Open Work Permit question

shamitha.ss01

Feb 9, 2014
Hi All,

I had the following question and was wondering if the forum members can help with advice.

I have a open work permit. My spouse has an open work permit based on my work permit.

Our Work Permits are expiring in 4 months time.
As we had applied for PR and received AOR, I am planning to apply for Bridge open work permit.

But the spousal eligibility as per the operational bulletin [485 A] below is not clear to me.
url:

Both of us are working currently and would like to maintain the work permit status.

Can i use the CIC apply online for applying both our work permits at the same time ?
or should i wait for my bridge work permit and apply for my husband separately ?

I searched this forum and found a thread about impact of Operational Bulleting 485 A on spousal application - but seems inconclusive.
url:

I will be calling up CIC next week but was just wondering if any of the forum members
have a similar situation or some expert advice.

Note: unfortunately, i am unable to post links, but i can provide any additional details you may require.

Thanks very much :).

Shamitha

cec0413

Jan 19, 2014
I was in similar situation (myself on WP and my spouse with an OWP based on my WP) last year. I applied for my BOWP + owp for my spouse together online. Of course 485A wasn't in effect that time around but just 485.

I suggest use the online questionnaire and generate checklist with your current conditions. Apply together for sure. Include your AOR email+WPs scan together as support documents.

If you can afford, wait to get closer (1.5 months before you current WP expiry) and then apply so you can get full 1 yr (or at least 11 months) of BOWP.

Sorry, no comments on 485A clause; Seniors can advise.

kepler

Sep 17, 2013
cec0413 said:
I was in similar situation (myself on WP and my spouse with an OWP based on my WP) last year. I applied for my BOWP + owp for my spouse together online. Of course 485A wasn't in effect that time around but just 485.

I suggest use the online questionnaire and generate checklist with your current conditions. Apply together for sure. Include your AOR email+WPs scan together as support documents.

If you can afford, wait to get closer (1.5 months before you current WP expiry) and then apply so you can get full 1 yr (or at least 11 months) of BOWP.

Sorry, no comments on 485A clause; Seniors can advise.
Hello,
I am in similar situation as you described. I should apply for BOWP in the next month. But I am not sure how can I include my wife in that application. I mean did you submit an application for BOWP and included your wife as a dependent or file a separate application for her?
My concenr is in cic website under [foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:] it says "Spouse and dependents of the principal permanent resident applicant.
Could you elaborate on that with your own experience?
Thanks,

Malko

Mar 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied online with another application for my spouse.

And all went well.

Just make sure that you can show that your current job is skilled, include a cover letter, and a copy of your job contract/description.

GHD1213

Nov 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
Malko said:
I applied online with another application for my spouse.

And all went well.

Just make sure that you can show that your current job is skilled, include a cover letter, and a copy of your job contract/description.
It is bridging owp, you do not need to show any job letters etc. there are lots of discussions retains, please do some research here, you will find useful info.

Re your spouse, for sure you can apply together. Your spouse us not eligible for bowp, but sheiks eligible for spousal owp based on yours. Do submit hers with your app, but she needs separate firm and you also need to fill in the representative form in order to apply on her behalf.

kepler

Sep 17, 2013
GHD1213 said:
It is bridging owp, you do not need to show any job letters etc. there are lots of discussions retains, please do some research here, you will find useful info.

Re your spouse, for sure you can apply together. Your spouse us not eligible for bowp, but sheiks eligible for spousal owp based on yours. Do submit hers with your app, but she needs separate firm and you also need to fill in the representative form in order to apply on her behalf.
Thanks guys for your quick responses.
Here I wish to have your idea as well. My work level is A and my wife received a OWP based on my PGWP but hers expires 50 days after mine! I guess cic made that decision since my WP was valid for less than 6 month at the time of issuance of my wife's WP.
anyway, I was wondering if I should apply first and then file another application for her once I got my BOWP? or just give it a little time so both of us WP have less than 4 month of validity and apply together?
Note that our PR application has just turned into "in process" stage.
Thanks you very much

GHD1213

Nov 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
kepler said:
Thanks guys for your quick responses.
Here I wish to have your idea as well. My work level is A and my wife received a OWP based on my PGWP but hers expires 50 days after mine! I guess cic made that decision since my WP was valid for less than 6 month at the time of issuance of my wife's WP.
anyway, I was wondering if I should apply first and then file another application for her once I got my BOWP? or just give it a little time so both of us WP have less than 4 month of validity and apply together?
Note that our PR application has just turned into "in process" stage.
Thanks you very much
You are welcome! It is your call to determine when you apply within 4 months time and whether apply together or separately for your wife after approval of yours. But one thing I am certain is 4 months rule applies to you not your wife, in other words, if your wp is expiring within 4 month when you apply, but your wife' s is longer than 4 months, it does not matter. As her application is NOT BOWP, hers is spousal owp based on your BOWP.

I don't know your timeline of pr application and what stage you are at, but since it is in process now, you should hear it soon. So, you may wait to apply close to expiry date.

Malko

Mar 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GHD1213 said:

You do not have to show job offer for your BOWP, but your spouse can get their open work permit on the base of your skilled job.

kepler

Sep 17, 2013
GHD1213 said:
You are welcome! It is your call to determine when you apply within 4 months time and whether apply together or separately for your wife after approval of yours. But one thing I am certain is 4 months rule applies to you not your wife, in other words, if your wp is expiring within 4 month when you apply, but your wife' s is longer than 4 months, it does not matter. As her application is NOT BOWP, hers is spousal owp based on your BOWP.

I don't know your timeline of pr application and what stage you are at, but since it is in process now, you should hear it soon. So, you may wait to apply close to expiry date.
Thank you very much GHD1213 :)

GHD1213

Nov 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
kepler said:
Thank you very much GHD1213 :)
Not at all buddy. Congrats you are close to the end of the long journey of your pr application. Best luck!

shamitha.ss01

Feb 9, 2014
Thanks to all the members for your replies and advice.

Just an update, I called up CIC and they confirmed that I should be able to apply
and include my spouse in the same application for BOWP.

kepler

Sep 17, 2013
Update:
I applied for BOWP for myslef in mid April and recieved it in two weeks! Straight forward, no question asked!
The PR application is still lingering in the last step.

swathi461

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2014: APP. Received=22-04-2014
AOR Received.
26-05-2014
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
waiting???
kepler said:
Update:
I applied for BOWP for myslef in mid April and recieved it in two weeks! Straight forward, no question asked!
The PR application is still lingering in the last step.
Hi

can you provide me the link for applying Bowp in cic site.And can you say me what are the things needed?

Thanks

kepler

Sep 17, 2013
swathi461 said:
Hi

can you provide me the link for applying Bowp in cic site.And can you say me what are the things needed?

Thanks
Hi,

I used "come to Canada wizard". Here gives you a start point:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob485A.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2012-12-17.asp

Not many docs. You'll get them once you fill the wizard. Extension form/ passport copy/ AOR/ photo/ letter of explanation/

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
Hi everyone,
For those who applied, did you have as part of your checklist a confirmation of Medical Exams? I used the online tool and came up with the following checklist:
- AOR
- Passport
- Photo
- Medical Exam (Confirmation or Result)

I'm wondering if it's because I chose in one of the drop-down menus "Permanently" to the question "How long do you plan to stay?"