+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied to PR 9 months ago. Post-graduate Work Permit is expiring in June 2019. What are my options?

crozy

Oct 6, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Asking this for a friend but here goes:

I graduated from a Canadian University in 2015 and applied to PR in March 2018 through the Canadian Experience Class. My initial work permit was valid from June 2016 to June 2018 so I had to extend my work permit in June 2018. My current work permit is expiring in June 2019 and it's been 9 months since yet I still haven't received my PR Card.

I called CIC today to get an update on my application and as per the CIC agent, my application is past "internal deadline" and moved to another team. CIC agent told me there is nothing I can do besides waiting.

Apparently I also can't be on an implied status past June 2019 as I can't extend my work permit one more time.

I'm afraid of losing my job and having to leave Canada.

What are my options here? Any advice is appreciated.

swar12894

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Did you apply for GCMS notes? GCMS might give you an idea about what is it that holding your application back.

crozy

Oct 6, 2017
As per CIC, the delay has to do with my home countries police department. They are just waiting for the proper paperwork to move my application to next steps.

sweetcute123

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
25-09-2016
IELTS Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
Passport Req..
24-01-2017
you can apply for bridge work permit

crozy

Oct 6, 2017
you can apply for bridge work permit
As indicated above, I already used that option once when I extended my Post-Grad work permit by 1 year. Apparently that permit can only be extended once.

Are there any other permits I could apply to in the mean time?

movais

Sep 10, 2018
As indicated above, I already used that option once when I extended my Post-Grad work permit by 1 year. Apparently that permit can only be extended once.

Are there any other permits I could apply to in the mean time?
It can be extended again on case by case basis. They don't generally extend it if you get rejected for PR and has applied for PR again, but in your case your original application is still in process. So you can apply and i think you have a good chance to get it.

crozy

Oct 6, 2017
It can be extended again on case by case basis. They don't generally extend it if you get rejected for PR and has applied for PR again, but in your case your original application is still in process. So you can apply and i think you have a good chance to get it.
Thanks for your input, CIC Agent on the phone said it can be only extended once and that I have to explore different avenues. Are you sure it can be extended on case by case basis?

The link below about bridging work permits also doesn't outline such limitations hence I'm inclined to believe you.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

I guess it doesn't hurt to apply and see how it goes.

movais

Sep 10, 2018
Thanks for your input, CIC Agent on the phone said it can be only extended once and that I have to explore different avenues. Are you sure it can be extended on case by case basis?

The link below about bridging work permits also doesn't outline such limitations hence I'm inclined to believe you.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

Issuing a bridging open work permit

Applicants must submit an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker form [IMM 5710 (PDF, 484.21KB)] indicating that they are applying for an open work permit.

Work permit applications are processed as per information provided by the foreign national. The response to “What type of work permit are you applying for?” must be “Open work permit” to meet the eligibility requirements. Officers will ensure the applicants meet the eligibility requirements, regardless of whether an employer’s name is mentioned.

Where it is clear that complex or contentious issues or concerns exist on the APR, the work permit application should be referred to a local office for additional review. Once satisfied that any complex or contentious issues have been resolved, the local office can issue the work permit following these same instructions.

Upon receipt of the application, the processing office will confirm the following:

• the APR under 1 of the economic classes (FSWC, CEC, FSTC, 2 caregiver classes and PNC [with no employment restrictions as a condition of the nomination, as specified above]) has passed the required permanent residence application stage;
  • the foreign national is currently in Canada;
  • the foreign national currently holds a valid work permit that will expire within the next 4 months, and there are no other issues of concern;
  • the work permit application is for an open work permit (as per the Details of intended work in Canada section);
  • the open work permit holder fee has been paid in addition to the processing fee; and
  • the applicant is not inadmissible to Canada.
The open work permit will be issued under the authority of paragraph R205(a) and will be coded as follows:

• LMIA exemption code: A-75
  • NOC: 9999
  • Intended Occupation: Open
  • Case Type: 27 – Under examination
  • Duration: 12 months
Subsequent requests from applicants to extend their stay on an open work permit will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

read the last line. Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html

also you take a look at previous forum:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-apply-for-extension-for-bridging-work-permit.533109/

Alberta Semi Skilled

Jun 28, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-07-2017
Passport Req..
12-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2018
LANDED..........
26-09-2018
I extended my Bridiging Open Work Permit twice while waiting for Express Entry! I waited 13 months for PPR and if l hadn’t got PR yet, my work permit should still have been valid until June 2019

waterlooengineer

Mar 13, 2018
I extended my Bridiging Open Work Permit twice while waiting for Express Entry! I waited 13 months for PPR and if l hadn’t got PR yet, my work permit should still have been valid until June 2019
Hi what was the reason that your PPR took 13 months? I am in a similar position, my work permit expires in May and it has already been 9 months since my AOR.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017

You can keep applying for new BOWP until a decision is made on your PR application.
CIC call center agents don't always know what they are talking about.

Reactions: jes_ON

Alberta Semi Skilled

Jun 28, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-07-2017
Passport Req..
12-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2018
LANDED..........
26-09-2018
Hi what was the reason that your PPR took 13 months? I am in a similar position, my work permit expires in May and it has already been 9 months since my AOR.
Eligibility was Review Required bcoz the company had no website

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Apparently I also can't be on an implied status past June 2019 as I can't extend my work permit one more time.
Agent was wrong about this, happens a lot. Your friend can apply for another BOWP.

Nvnsuri

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Hello Everyone,

Asking this for a friend but here goes:

I graduated from a Canadian University in 2015 and applied to PR in March 2018 through the Canadian Experience Class. My initial work permit was valid from June 2016 to June 2018 so I had to extend my work permit in June 2018. My current work permit is expiring in June 2019 and it's been 9 months since yet I still haven't received my PR Card.

I called CIC today to get an update on my application and as per the CIC agent, my application is past "internal deadline" and moved to another team. CIC agent told me there is nothing I can do besides waiting.

I'm afraid of losing my job and having to leave Canada.

What are my options here? Any advice is appreciated.
You better apply bridge work permit.