+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied PR from inside Canada but currently stuck in India because of Covid-19

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I am in a very weird situation. I was in Canada on a closed work permit which is expiring in June-2020. I came to India for 1-month vacation but now stuck in India because of Covid-19. I had applied for PR in December 2019. My question is since I applied PR from inside Canada but now I am in India, if my PR got approved and I receive the PPR then how would I get it to stamp. is it possible to get the passport stamped within India even I applied PR from inside Canada and all my mailing address in my express entry profile are Canadian addresses?
Note that I can't go back to Canada on my closed work permit because it has been expired.

Thanks in advance !!!

Reactions: OHiluvCANADA

OHiluvCANADA

Star Member
Jun 27, 2017
Category........
CEC
You can send a case-specific enquiry, inform that you are in India and can not travel to Canada as your visa (work-permit) is expired. Also, request them to send you PPR for India. Then they will send you PPR for your nearest immigration office. You have to go to your nearest VFS to send passport and they will send it back with COPR and visa. Then you are good to go.
I also have a question from you. Did you try something to extend you work-permit? I am also stuck in India and my work-permit is expiring next month but I already have COPR but can not land due to lock-down. I would like to have my work permit to continue my status until I land. If you find any solution then please do share with me.

Reactions: sumitkamboj88

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
@OHiluvCANADA thank you so much for the information. Yes , My employer already had applied for work permit extension. IRCC asked for biometric but as all VFS are closed I can't get it done.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can send a case-specific enquiry, inform that you are in India and can not travel to Canada as your visa (work-permit) is expired. Also, request them to send you PPR for India. Then they will send you PPR for your nearest immigration office. You have to go to your nearest VFS to send passport and they will send it back with COPR and visa. Then you are good to go.
I also have a question from you. Did you try something to extend you work-permit? I am also stuck in India and my work-permit is expiring next month but I already have COPR but can not land due to lock-down. I would like to have my work permit to continue my status until I land. If you find any solution then please do share with me.
You would need to be back in Canada to have implied status. Getting a work permit in such a short amount of time is unlikely. You can work for your employer on contract in India if they agree to this.