+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Citizenship in April - Todate no answer

hep

Oct 25, 2011
HI

I applied for my mother's citizenship in April 15 2015. She is senior citizen (65+). I have patiently waited for 6 months but to date I have not received acknowledgement letter of any sort. I have been checking the status online and it shows nothing - file can't even be found. I paid fees through credit card which was charged and application was received in the office.

Checking the status of other people it appears that some other people who applied in April have their oath ceremonies happening. I know that I won't get much far with the call center as it has not been 1 year? Can anyone guide me based on their personal experience the best course of action?

THANKS

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not normal, they should have sent something by now...

Check ecas, your client number is permanent card number.. make sure you type the spelling and info as it's on the PR card..

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
For my children the PR card number didn't work we had to use the client number from their landing document.

kimba409

Aug 25, 2015
Hi, hep,

just thought id shed some light based on my opinion,

my mailing address and residential address were different and CIC returned my mail to my residential address (twice - incomplete files) . i never got my mail on time cos i didnt have access to the front portion where the landlord would keep the mail (and he didnt even live there -super unfair) but anyway, point is the reason my file didnt go into process (upto 6 months later) was cos the entire application had been returned.

they should have sent you an AOR by email or snail mail . do check your spam folders. Also, i log into CIC using my CLIENT ID (found on your PR) card.

hep

Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for quick replies. I have attempted to check online status through various methods (clientid, PR number, etc) but it is not able to find any application - which tells me that the processing on this application has not started yet.

I again checked the Canada Post receipt and checked tracking on Canadapost and confirmed that it was received by them in April 2015. We did moved a week after submitting the application, I, however, did do a mail forwarding with Canada Post and we have been receiving all other mail to our new address.

Things are a bit more complicated as when I applied my mom was able to qualify for citizenship on 3 year residency requirements. Now if I were to do a new application she won't qualify because of the 4 year residency requirements. What a sticky situation to be in.

What would you recommend we do now? who should I call, email, or write?

kimba409

Aug 25, 2015
Hi Hep,

When CIC mails you back any packages or any letters; they state on it 'DO NOT FORWARD'.

that may be your problem. do you have a way to check your old mail? maybe somebody kept it.

I am no expert and also would not like to be the bearer of bad news but since the forms have now changed, you might have to reapply based on the new forms and under the new rules

however, an exception to this would be if they have indeed ALREADY opened a file for you but just not begun processing or doing anything to it at all because you're missing something..point being; there is a possibility you could just send back the old application in that case but again i am absolutely no expert. My file was marked and stamped so i just added the new fees and sent it back however back then the new laws hadn't come into effect yet ; but even then new and updated forms were available, but i didn't need to fill them out.

First things first. if they did indeed return your package or mailed you a new letter; it wouldn't get forwarded. it may be at your old house or returned back to them. try to check in on that.

hep

Oct 25, 2011
Hi

Nothing has turned up with our search. Spoken with Call Center agent, checked on ecas, spoke with people at old address, and Canada Post. Call center agent simply said we need to apply again with the new rules! I have written a letter to Canadian Citizenship will see what they have to say. Sent an email to member of parliament in our area but appears that he is too busy with elections coming up. Anyone else has any idea or a path to resolution?