+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applied citizenship and now in US, show we renew PR

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
All,

I completed 1095+ days, applied for citizenship and had to move to US(green card).My wife and I applied separately. We have all proofs of stay.
We are away from Canada since Nov 2012. My wife got call fro test but was given hard time at Toronto airport due to US green card.
And got Query after passing the test. All documentation was submitted.
her PR expires in sep 2014. Should we ask for PR renewal or what should be the best approach?

Due to hard treatment I did not go even for the test and dropped the idea. Will it impact my US citizenship after about 3 years?

Appreciate input for the best approach!!
Thanks
Akhil

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As she got post test RQ, she should renew her PR before it expire. Canadian citizenship application has nothing to do with US citizenship. If you did not appear in test and have not re-scheduled the new test, then CIC will close your file any way..

bebong

Star Member
Sep 11, 2010
taguig city
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2010
Doc's Request.
11-03-2010
AOR Received.
29-04-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Request
14-07-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
awan
Passport Req..
29-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 14,2010 (received Nov.6,2010)
LANDED..........
Decision Made on Oct 19,2010
are we allowed to have Canadian PR and US green card at the same time?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you are as long as you fulfill the both country's residence obligation but that will make the citizenship goal complicated. You might have to be satisfied with PR status for both country..

bebong

Star Member
Sep 11, 2010
taguig city
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2010
Doc's Request.
11-03-2010
AOR Received.
29-04-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Request
14-07-2010
Med's Done....
29-07-2010
Interview........
awan
Passport Req..
29-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 14,2010 (received Nov.6,2010)
LANDED..........
Decision Made on Oct 19,2010
Thanks rayman_m.

FYI: I was told by the US consular officer in Toronto that we can't have it at the same time during my tourist visa application.Tried to research about it but i couldn't find concrete answers.I asked an immigration lawyer practicing in US and was told that the US law does not allow it.But if Akhil has two PR cards,US and Canada,then maybe we are allowed then.

akhil

Jul 15, 2011
I researched earlier and its allowed but hard to fulfill residency requirements for both.
I gave up on my citizenship application and will not be renewing my PR.
Only my wife's case is in progress.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's like you placed your foot in 2 floating boat. In reality it's tough to maintain 2 country residency simultaneously when each country has min. no of days physical presence residency obligation and maintain ties specially US & Canada unless you born any of these countries.. Immigrant often find situation to choose one country that suits best for them but I find both country citizenship is equally best in the world. So, no regret accepting one and giving up other..

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
akhil said:
All,

I completed 1095+ days, applied for citizenship and had to move to US(green card).My wife and I applied separately. We have all proofs of stay.
We are away from Canada since Nov 2012. My wife got call fro test but was given hard time at Toronto airport due to US green card.
And got Query after passing the test. All documentation was submitted.
her PR expires in sep 2014. Should we ask for PR renewal or what should be the best approach?

Due to hard treatment I did not go even for the test and dropped the idea. Will it impact my US citizenship after about 3 years?

Appreciate input for the best approach!!
Thanks
Akhil
1. Sure apply for PR Card renewal but expect an RQ for this too as it seems CIC doubt your residence days.

2. Since you did not show up for the test your file should have been closed under new operational policy. What do you see on ecas? Or call CIC to confirm file closure.

3. You need to worry about your RO since to meet the physical presence requirements for US citizenship you will be absent from Canada it seems beyond the 'allowed time' of 3 years in any 5 year rolling period.

4. Your wife has the same issue as in 3. This will be even more likely if she is referred to a hearing before the Citizenship Judge as this will add to the timelines. St Clair will be where the RQ goes and its backlogged!

5. How did you get the US GC - if its a route requiring your physical presence like HB1/L1A then CIC have an even stronger case for their residency concerns.