application to sponsor and undertaking headache

kumakuma

Sep 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi all

here's what's confusing me now:

App to Sponsor p3, #6--

If you are sponsoring a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class, do not complete b) and c); proceed to 7 immediately.
b) If the above address is not in the country of nationality of the person you are sponsoring, has that person been lawfully admitted for a period of at least one year in the country where he or she is living?
The application will be processed at the visa office No responsible for the country of which the person you are
sponsoring is a national. Proceed to 7. Yes Answer c) below.
c) Do you wish to have the application for permanent residence of the person you are sponsoring processed at the visa office responsible for this country?
Yes
The application will be processed at the visa office No responsible for the country of which the person you are
sponsoring is a national.

I'm a Canadian citizen, and I'm sponsoring my wife. This means I should skip #6 and move on to #7 right?

thank you!

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
If you are sponsoring a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class

Are you doing an inland application? If yes, then skip them. If you're doing an outland one (the application will be completed in a foreign visa office), then don't skip them.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kumakuma, I seem to remember that you are doing an outland application, right?

Basically those questions are designed to see where you want your application processed. So, if you are doing an application from within Canada (i.e. an inland application), then you skip 6 and go to 7 since an inland application means your application will be processed in Canada.

If you have been legally admitted to a country that is not the country where you were born for a period of at least one year (that's what they're asking in b), you can choose to have your application processed in the visa office for that country (by answering YES in c) OR your country of nationality (by answering NO in c).

kumakuma

Sep 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for the responses.
i am a canadian citizen. i live in japan with my wife (japanese citizen) whom i am sponsoring outland.

i'm confused. we don't actually have a choice as to where the application is processed, do we? i was under the impression that all applications must be sent to mississauga. do you mean to say we can choose there or tokyo? if that's the case, it would make a lot more sense to send it to tokyo, wouldn't it? and if we could/did that, it would still end up in mississauga at some point, wouldn't it?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Send both applications (sponsor and applicant) to Mississauga. If Mississauga approves the sponsor, then they forward the Application for Visa to the correct visa office. The CDN Consulate in Hong Kong just told me tht if you send directly to a visa office, they will return the application to you.

kumakuma

Sep 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks toby

i thought i should send to miss., but what you and the office said doesn't seem to jive with ariell or the paper itself. why do they ask this question at all? i don't understand the point, is all. anyway, thanks for your response.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
In some cases, you DO have a choice in where the application is processed. If the applicant has been legally admitted into a country for at least one year, then you can choose to have the visa office for that country as the processing office. It means, for example, that anyone that is legally in the US (or Canada) for 1 year or more can choose to have their application processed in Buffalo instead of the visa office of their nationality. Same thing for other countries. If an Australian citizen is living in Austria, they can have their application processed in Vienna instead of Sydney, where it would normally be processed.

That is why they ask the question. No matter where you have it processed though, you always send the application to Mississauga.

kumakuma

Sep 14, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i knew there had to be some rationale behind it. thanks for that, mitamata. actually, the distinction between place its sent and place its processed escaped (escapes?) me.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can choose the VISA office to process your wife's PR application. The office in Mississauga is NOT a visa office, it is a case processing centre. So yes, your ENTIRE application MUST be sent to Mississauga regardless of what office you choose as your visa office. ALL outland applications must be sent first to Mississauga where the sponsorship application is approved. Once sponsorship is approved, then the application for your wife's PR is forwarded to the overseas visa office that you have chosen. If your wife's country of residence = her country of nationality then you don't need to worry about that question because you don't have a choice. You have to choose Tokyo to process her part of the application.