AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
Wanted to share my timeline to see if it is the norm for the current processing times. This whole process really has knocked the wind out of my sails and I just can't wait for it to be over.

Long story short I applied as a Federal Skilled worker in September of 2007 to Port of Spain Trinidad. That application is still ongoing and seemingly neverending so I decided to apply under CEC in May of 2010. I have been living in Canada on a work permit since August 2007 and easy meet the criteria. After I applied in May it promptly got sent back saying that a form was incomplete. When I inquired the problem was I applied in May but they looked at it in June and for my residence and work forms I have my dates as ending in May 2010. I was very frustrated since there is no way to put in "To Present" in the boxes in the electronic form, so for that silly reason I had to change my application and I just printed and wrote in the boxes PRESENT in pen. That got sent back in June. The next word I heard from them was on December 3rd saying processing had started. Now I just got another letter on April 2nd saying the file was being transferred to New York to expedite processing. Is the next step their requesting medicals for me and my family? Any ideas on how long I will have to wait for that on average? Then after that and the medicals are all approved they request passports? I noticed they now say the expected time for CEC is 11 months, would that be 11 months from December? Or from when you first submit it? (In my case June).

Thanks for your help. I've been trying to get my papers for almost 4 years now one way or another and it just seems to be never ending!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
horlicks said:
I noticed they now say the expected time for CEC is 11 months, would that be 11 months from December? Or from when you first submit it? (In my case June).
Common misconception, but nowhere does it say that 11 months is the "expected" processing time. 11 months is likely the AVERAGE processing time for applications finalized between January and December 2010 (meaning some will be faster, some will be slower. Unfortunately, the site no longer states how the time is calculated (it used to be something like "80% of applications finalized in X months..). It is historical data only; CIC should not claim it is "current," but most recently available...

I too applied in May 2010, and just had my file transferred to NY also. You're in good company. The only thing that we can say is, it is possible that something will happen within 3-6 months. Not very satisfying, to be sure.

horlicks

Apr 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
Thanks for the response! Comforting to know I'm not alone. I'll post back again once I hear anything else. I'm hoping I hear something back within 90 days but if there is one thing this whole process has taught me is patience and that guideline times are just that. Fingers crossed.

pawpaw

Apr 7, 2011
jes_ON said:
Common misconception, but nowhere does it say that 11 months is the "expected" processing time. 11 months is likely the AVERAGE processing time for applications finalized between January and December 2010 (meaning some will be faster, some will be slower. Unfortunately, the site no longer states how the time is calculated (it used to be something like "80% of applications finalized in X months..). It is historical data only; CIC should not claim it is "current," but most recently available...

I too applied in May 2010, and just had my file transferred to NY also. You're in good company. The only thing that we can say is, it is possible that something will happen within 3-6 months. Not very satisfying, to be sure.
I think the average month number has been rolling bigger and bigger. Maybe two months ago, it was 10.

pawpaw

Apr 7, 2011
horlicks said:
Wanted to share my timeline to see if it is the norm for the current processing times. This whole process really has knocked the wind out of my sails and I just can't wait for it to be over.

Long story short I applied as a Federal Skilled worker in September of 2007 to Port of Spain Trinidad. That application is still ongoing and seemingly neverending so I decided to apply under CEC in May of 2010. I have been living in Canada on a work permit since August 2007 and easy meet the criteria. After I applied in May it promptly got sent back saying that a form was incomplete. When I inquired the problem was I applied in May but they looked at it in June and for my residence and work forms I have my dates as ending in May 2010. I was very frustrated since there is no way to put in "To Present" in the boxes in the electronic form, so for that silly reason I had to change my application and I just printed and wrote in the boxes PRESENT in pen. That got sent back in June. The next word I heard from them was on December 3rd saying processing had started. Now I just got another letter on April 2nd saying the file was being transferred to New York to expedite processing. Is the next step their requesting medicals for me and my family? Any ideas on how long I will have to wait for that on average? Then after that and the medicals are all approved they request passports? I noticed they now say the expected time for CEC is 11 months, would that be 11 months from December? Or from when you first submit it? (In my case June).

Thanks for your help. I've been trying to get my papers for almost 4 years now one way or another and it just seems to be never ending!
http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/canadian-experience-class

kali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2009
Horlicks, I have written end date as the day when I filled the form or day of application. Your experience tells it should be "PRESENT" in pen. How long it took CEC to send you back your application after you submitted?

Simp

Nov 6, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Could you have your two applications run simultaneously.As my application is in process in FSW category for long and i am here in canada since 2008.Could i apply in CEC as well.

Will appreciate ur reply.

Thanks

S

horlicks said:

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Simp said:
Could you have your two applications run simultaneously.As my application is in process in FSW category for long and i am here in canada since 2008.Could i apply in CEC as well.

Will appreciate ur reply.

Thanks

S
Yep, you can. As soon as they are ready to issue the visa for one of them, you withdraw the other.

abhi812

Sep 10, 2010
horlicks said:

Hi horlics,

I am also staying in canada and applying CEC.
Shoudl I write till date in my application
I am here from November 2008

horlicks

Apr 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
So I got my medical request in June of 2011. Was very very happy. That's less than a year after the submission. Will see how long it takes to get back but I'm hopeful that it will be all done with by September.

horlicks

Apr 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
kali said:
Horlicks, I have written end date as the day when I filled the form or day of application. Your experience tells it should be "PRESENT" in pen. How long it took CEC to send you back your application after you submitted?
It took about a month. Not long. Maybe I just got a cranky visa officer and you'll be fine!

horlicks

Apr 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2010
AOR Received.
03-12-2010
File Transfer...
02-04-2011
Med's Request
02-06-2011
Med's Done....
17-06-2011
So I just got my passport request today. Very excited. Quick question though. They ask for "Your original passport (must be valid for at least a year) and the original passports for each of your accompanying dependants."

My passport has longer than a year left on it, but one of my sons has only 9 months. How it is worded though they make it seem as though my passport is the only one that matters to have the year on it. Is that a correct assumption? Don't want to have to waste time getting his renewed now if its not necessary. Just antsy to get the stamp in them ASAP. Thoughts?

Edit: Got to love the telephone support. I call the New York office and they don't accept any phone calls about queries. Just direct you to the website. I call the main Canada telephone hotline and I get told that they can't answer any questions from visa offices outside of Canada and I should contact them directly. Sigh.