+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Work Permit/Open Work Permit

thbrown

Apr 25, 2017
Hello!

I'm currently filling out the application for a Work Permit and Open Work Permit with my common-law partner who has a job offer for a postdoctoral fellowship position at a University in Ontario which commences in the fall. We are both British citizens and currently residing in Australia.

My partner and I have some questions about the application process and help on any of them would be much appreciated.

• For the Open Work Permit I need to provide a Purpose of Travel Document. My current purpose is to work full time for the duration of my partners visa, what is the best way of conveying this? Since i have not booked return flights etc.
  • Q7 on the Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada form (IMM1295e) asks for a date range regarding the country of residence, since we still reside in Australia for the present do we put the expiry date of our visa that ends first or the current date on filling out the application?
  • Since my partner will be a skilled worker, I am applying on a open work permit. The Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM1295e) form requires details of intended work in Canada however at this present time I do not have a job offer. Do I put the location of where I intend to work? if I do have to include these details what should I put as my occupation title as no job offer currently exists?
  • As my partner has a job offer for a postdoctural fellowship which is LMIA exempt does he get the offer of employment (LMIA exempt) number from his employer? If not, where does he go about getting this?

• What is the difference between Letter from Current Employer and Employment Reference Letter, and can the same document be used for both?
  • My partner has just completed his PhD and as such has not been in full time work. However, he did receive a full scholorship for the duration of his candidature, does he include this on his Employment Records?
  • My partner is providing a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM5409). This form references an instruction guide that we cannot locate the link to online, can you please provide this? Is there also a checklist of items we need to provide to accompany this form?
  • Regarding the Solemn Declaration is it OK for any solicitor (i.e. one in the UK) to sign this or do we need a local Australian solicitor?

Thanks in advance for your help!

NOO1

Apr 26, 2017
thbrown said:
  • As my partner has a job offer for a postdoctural fellowship which is LMIA exempt does he get the offer of employment (LMIA exempt) number from his employer? If not, where does he go about getting this?

• What is the difference between Letter from Current Employer and Employment Reference Letter, and can the same document be used for both?
  • My partner has just completed his PhD and as such has not been in full time work. However, he did receive a full scholorship for the duration of his candidature, does he include this on his Employment Records?
The offer of employment number must be provided by the employer in the official offer of employment letter or contract letter. This number is given to the employers by CIC when they submit a new LMIA exempt offer of employment in the employer`s portal and provide the reasons why a position falls into LMIA exemption.

The letter from current employer is an employment certificate that you must ask to your current employer, whereas the employment reference letter can be provided to you by any previous employer. Both can be from the same employer, however if you`re listing more jobs than your current one in any form, it might be a better idea to submit an employment reference from another employer.

He must write a letter to the immigration official explaining that the last X years he was doing his PhD, reason why he has no employment records during this time, and that he`s attaching some document as proof of it (the scholarship confirmation letter, diploma, etc). He must attach that letter at the beginning of any employment record that he is intending to send.

rj319

May 3, 2017
Hi,

I recently applied online for a work permit and i just noticed that i made a mistake answering question 9 on my IMM1295. I misunderstood answering this one. Instead of saying yes as same as current country of residence (which is Philippines), i answered NO and typed 'Canada' in the country section and put the duration of my expected employment. My application is already in progress and i don't know how to fix this mistake. I am worrying that this error might cause my application to be not approved. Can you please help me about this? Thanks in advance.

NOO1

Apr 26, 2017
Look for IRCC WEB FORM in the CIC web site. In type of application select "Temporary residence (applied online)" and then "Work permit". You have 1500 characters to explain your enquiry. It's usually not for corrections or your application, but for changes in contact information. But is the only way you can contact them to change something in your application. I hope that works!

orlando1016

Sep 25, 2017
Hi, have you got your visa finally? My wife will go there with me this November. We are in the same situation as you - I got a postdoc position at Western. :)

Shalinpandit

Star Member
Apr 21, 2017
Do outside canada workers also require offer of employment (LMIA Exempt) no if they are nominated by the province. if not then How can we over rule the filling up the number as in the form I am not able to validate because its asking me to fill up the number which will be similar to AXXXXXXX