+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

APPLICATION FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA, DETAILS OF VISIT TO CANADA QUESTION

arielleh10

Oct 4, 2014
I am trying to move to Canada with my husband (who is Canadian). I was informed, by the CIC, to apply for a temporary resident visa to at least get into Canada. From there my husband would apply for the spouse sponsorship program wherein the spouse is in Canada.

On this particular application question it asks the duration of your stay and how much money you have to support yourself. I have no idea what to place in the duration of my stay...technically I am not leaving. Do I put the typical six months? Or 2 years that it will take me to get my permanent residency status? I don't want it to get rejected.
Also when I get there I am going to apply for a work permit (if the border officer stamps it for six months or longer) so the next question about the amount of funds I will have to support myself can't really be determined until I get a job. I am bringing money with me but I don't want the amount to get my application rejected.. Should I write just a brief explanation and submit it with my application? It said you could do that.
If anyone has been in this type of situation please help me. I don't want to mess this up, I have a very set plan and don't have much room for error.
Thanks so much

M

mikeymyke

what country are you from? normally, non-visa exempt applicants will have a hard time getting approved a visitor visa if it's determined that they're planning on filing inland because they're essentially using the TRV as a way to stay in Canada permanently rather than temporarily.

One of the main things a successful TRV applicant is supposed to prove is that they're going to stay in Canada temporarily and will leave. By saying you are not planning on leaving, that's kind of defeating the purpose of a TEMPORARY resident visa.

arielleh10

Oct 4, 2014
I am from the United States. And all over the Canadian Official Immigration site that is the path they said to choose. How else am I suppose to get into Canada and apply for sponsorship within Canada?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
arielleh10 said:
I am from the United States. And all over the Canadian Official Immigration site that is the path they said to choose. How else am I suppose to get into Canada and apply for sponsorship within Canada?
You are supposed to apply for sponsorship OUTSIDE Canada.

What you are trying to do is basically what CIC doesn't want people to be doing, getting married abroad and then immigrating with a TRV with the "I am waiting/applying for my PR in Canada and staying as a visitor until that happens" excuse.

My advice: start the sponsorship in the USA. Then travel regularly to Canada while the application is in process.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
arielleh10 said:
If you are American, you are visa-exempt and don't even qualify to apply for a TRV in the first place. You can enter as a visitor on the strength of just your passport.

DON'T APPLY INLAND. There is zero advantage for an American to apply inland and I can pretty much guarentee that you will regret it. There are several inland American applicants withdrawing their apps right now and resubmitting outland. Outland through the Ottawa office is much faster; many apps have been going through in 3-6 months recently. You can be in Canada while an outland app processes. I suggest you join the Ottawa thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cppottawa-t118769.5820.html.

arielleh10 said:
Also when I get there I am going to apply for a work permit (if the border officer stamps it for six months or longer) so the next question about the amount of funds I will have to support myself can't really be determined until I get a job.
Unless you have a job offer from a Canadian employer that falls under NAFTA and therefore doesn't require an LMIA or a job offer with a positive LMIA, you do not qualify for a work permit. The allowance that you are referring to (entry for more than 6 months) refers only to those that have a TRP, temporary resident permit. These are special permits issued to people who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada

lifeoffe

Star Member
May 30, 2014
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/03/2014
AOR Received.
07/30/2014 SA
File Transfer...
07/30/2014
Med's Done....
08/02/2014 RECEIVED
Passport Req..
NO REQUEST YET, BUT ALREADY INPROCESS
Jalex23 said:
You are supposed to apply for sponsorship OUTSIDE Canada.

What you are trying to do is basically what CIC doesn't want people to be doing, getting married abroad and then immigrating with a TRV with the "I am waiting/applying for my PR in Canada and staying as a visitor until that happens" excuse.

My advice: start the sponsorship in the USA. Then travel regularly to Canada while the application is in process.

what if the excuse is said like this "I have to go back to my country as we are still processing outland application for Family Sponsorship, and any given time I can be called for personal appearance for an Interview or Embassy may ask me to submit my pasport" does this sound reason to go back i my home country? or reason to stay in canada? hope you can answer as this is one of my reason why I have to go back in my country

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
lifeoffe said:
what if the excuse is said like this "I have to go back to my country as we are still processing outland application for Family Sponsorship, and any given time I can be called for personal appearance for an Interview or Embassy may ask me to submit my pasport" does this sound reason to go back i my home country? or reason to stay in canada? hope you can answer as this is one of my reason why I have to go back in my country
That is not an excuse that would be a reason.

Anyway.... it sounds better, but you are not sure that would happen and you aimplying you will stay in Canada until that happens so it is a a weak reason.