+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for citizenship certificate for minor- born outside Canada

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Hello. I am a naturalized citizen and my child was born outside of Canada two months ago. I am applying for her Canadian Citizenship certificate and I have some questions about the forms.

1- In the form CIT 0001 section 13, there is a box for "Applicant's signature" and another box for "Parent's/ guardian's signature". Since she is a minor, should I sign the parent's signature box and leave the applicant's signature box empty?

2- Since there is no Canadian embassy or consulate in the country I am currently living in, I have to send the documents to Canadian embassy in Turkey and when the certificate is ready it should be picked up from the embassy and in this case my husband will be going there by himself to get the certificate. So now should I fill out the "use of a representative" form and appoint my husband as my daughter's representative?
If yes in the "use of a representative" form (IMM 5476), who is the applicant? I am guessing that since I am signing as the parent in the main form (CIT 0001), I should sign as the applicant in the representative form (IMM 5476) as well and my husband will sign as the representative. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mr. Woods

Feb 16, 2022
Hi Sepideh81,
Have you figure out if you need to fill in the form IMM 5476,
Having the same problem, Did you check the Yes or No on section 13 of the CIT 001?
how is the applicant gonna sign in my case my son is only a year old.
Thanks for your reply in advance!

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Hi Sepideh81,
Have you figure out if you need to fill in the form IMM 5476,
Having the same problem, Did you check the Yes or No on section 13 of the CIT 001?
how is the applicant gonna sign in my case my son is only a year old.
Thanks for your reply in advance!
Hi,
So basically you need one applicant (who applies on behalf of your child) and one guarantor. The guarantor should be Canadian Citizen and should know the applicant for at least two years. So my husband became the applicant and I became the guarantor (I am Citizen and my husband was permanent resident). We each signed the required forms. They called us from the embassy and verified the information given. hope this is helpful.