+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

kumarfrmdel

Dec 12, 2017
1) IRCC doesn't need your travels and visitors visas. Some people add them but it's overkill. Feel free to skip and only list the countries where you actually lived and the status you had in those.

2) Doesn't matter, both are fine. Just pick one randomly and go with it.

3) Well, yeah, since you already said the applications will be separate.
Thanks for a quick response Seym. Really appreciate.

For point 1, just to confirm I have stayed for couple of days in most of these trips. So you meant I could skip the visitor/tourist travels. I am little confused, as the dropdown in the form has options like student/visitor etc.

For Point 2, thanks I will go with birth place in passport as it has more details.

For Point 3, thanks will select No in the section of my details.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
For point 1, just to confirm I have stayed for couple of days in most of these trips. So you meant I could skip the visitor/tourist travels. I am little confused, as the dropdown in the form has options like student/visitor etc.
Go with what makes sense.
A student lives in the country where he studies, and someone who stayed 6 months in a foreign country on a visitor visa at their brother's place also lives there, but the couple days you spend here and there are just vacations or transits, the same way you won't list the weekend at the chalet or the night you crashed in your friend's couch in the address history :)

Reactions: kumarfrmdel

elizie

Oct 25, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
10-04-2017
IELTS Request
Submitted with the Application package
File Transfer...
15-05-2017
Med's Request
25-04-2018
Med's Done....
11-05-2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
28-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2018

elizie

Oct 25, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
01-02-2017
AOR Received.
10-04-2017
IELTS Request
Submitted with the Application package
File Transfer...
15-05-2017
Med's Request
25-04-2018
Med's Done....
11-05-2018
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
28-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-06-2018
Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

• Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, visitor, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status

Question: Does this include tourist visas acquired for pleasure/holidays? If yes, is this from the past 5 years only? or since the age of 18?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Question: Does this include tourist visas acquired for pleasure/holidays? If yes, is this from the past 5 years only? or since the age of 18?
You can read my 2 answers right above your post that answer this exact question.

shan991

Jan 22, 2018
Hi,

Glad to introduce myself Shan. I have a question regarding Physical Presence Calculator (online application) Student----Worker------PR

First Landing: 09/Aug/2018
Study permit expiry: 30/Jul/2019
Study permit extension expiry: 30/Sep/2019

Work permit application date: 07/Jul/2019
Work permit issue date: 28/Oct/2019

What is the date i need to put for "Date you received the status - for temporary worker". Is it the application date or Work permit Physical copy issue date, Many thank for your help.

duster

Aug 13, 2011
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIC Sydney Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
March 22/2019
AOR Received.
May 8/ 2019
Med's Request
Sep 10/2019
Med's Done....
Sep 24/2019
Hello dear friends,
I hope this post finds you well. As some of you may know, I'm in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship, and I could really use your advice and insights on a few matters. Your experiences and wisdom mean a lot to me!
  1. Timing of Submission: I'm at the stage where I'm contemplating submitting my citizenship application, and I've noticed that I have 1097 days of physical presence in Canada. However, I'm wondering if it might be beneficial to wait a bit longer to accumulate more buffer days before I submit. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Employment Situation: Recently, I've faced a layoff and I'm currently on Employment Insurance (EI). The good news is that I'm actively searching for new job opportunities and I'm optimistic about finding a position soon. My concern is whether my current EI status could impact my citizenship application. If anyone has insights or experiences in this regard, I'd love to hear from you.
  3. Application Mode: When it comes to submitting the application, I'm debating between the paper and online modes. Both seem to have their merits, and I'm a bit torn. If you have any advice based on your own experiences, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.
  4. Required Documentation: Assembling the necessary documents for the application is a bit daunting. Should I include copies of my current and previous passports, as well as work permits? Additionally, I'm considering adding travel tickets to prove my entry and exit from Canada. Your guidance on this matter would be incredibly helpful.
I value your insights and appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you all for being part of this wonderful community and for sharing your experiences. Let's continue to support and uplift each other on this journey.

Warm regards,

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello dear friends,
I hope this post finds you well. As some of you may know, I'm in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship, and I could really use your advice and insights on a few matters. Your experiences and wisdom mean a lot to me!
  1. Timing of Submission: I'm at the stage where I'm contemplating submitting my citizenship application, and I've noticed that I have 1097 days of physical presence in Canada. However, I'm wondering if it might be beneficial to wait a bit longer to accumulate more buffer days before I submit. Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Employment Situation: Recently, I've faced a layoff and I'm currently on Employment Insurance (EI). The good news is that I'm actively searching for new job opportunities and I'm optimistic about finding a position soon. My concern is whether my current EI status could impact my citizenship application. If anyone has insights or experiences in this regard, I'd love to hear from you.
  3. Application Mode: When it comes to submitting the application, I'm debating between the paper and online modes. Both seem to have their merits, and I'm a bit torn. If you have any advice based on your own experiences, I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.
  4. Required Documentation: Assembling the necessary documents for the application is a bit daunting. Should I include copies of my current and previous passports, as well as work permits? Additionally, I'm considering adding travel tickets to prove my entry and exit from Canada. Your guidance on this matter would be incredibly helpful.
I value your insights and appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you all for being part of this wonderful community and for sharing your experiences. Let's continue to support and uplift each other on this journey.

Warm regards,
-Wait for a week or 2
-You being unemployed and/or on EI does not impact the processing of your citizenship application. Make sure you have submitted your taxes on time, as this will be required to be declared as part of the application process
-Copy of all pages of the passport(s) valid during the last 5 years (from the date of application) would come in handy. Online application does have a section for physical presence in which you require to declare your SP, WP, PR start/end dates and list of absences from Canada during the last 5 years. Just collect that information. CBSA will have records of entry/exit from Canada which IRCC can/will access. You do not need any additional data like travel tickets etc

Reactions: duster

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Question 13.
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

• Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, visitor, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status

This question is pretty open ended.. Best would be to consider 5 year/eligibility period

Last edited:

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
Advise needed:
2 weeks ago, I submitted my citizenship application online and attached PR Card as one of the documents for ID.
The uploaded PR Card is expiring in Dec, 2023. Today, I received my new PR Card and I am wondering if I should send its copy to IRCC.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Advise needed:
2 weeks ago, I submitted my citizenship application online and attached PR Card as one of the documents for ID.
The uploaded PR Card is expiring in Dec, 2023. Today, I received my new PR Card and I am wondering if I should send its copy to IRCC.
Nah doesn't matter.

Reactions: sidroy09

duster

Aug 13, 2011
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIC Sydney Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
March 22/2019
AOR Received.
May 8/ 2019
Med's Request
Sep 10/2019
Med's Done....
Sep 24/2019
Hey everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out to this amazing community for some advice regarding our family's path to Canadian citizenship. We've recently achieved permanent residency status, and we're now looking ahead to the next citizenship steps.

Here's a brief overview of our situation:
  • I became a permanent resident on August 6, 2021, and I've been fortunate enough to accumulate the required 1095 days of physical presence for citizenship eligibility having work permits and TRVs in the eligibility period.
  • My wife, who is a homemaker, became a permanent resident on October 22, 2021. However, she falls short of the 1095-day physical presence requirement at the moment.
  • Both of our kids, aged 15 and 10, also became permanent residents on October 22, 2021.
From my understanding, it seems that our kids can apply for citizenship alongside me(online) without worrying about the physical presence requirement, given their age and category (Minor 5(2)). However, we're contemplating the best course of action for my wife's citizenship application. It seems prudent to wait until she meets the 1095-day physical presence requirement, but we're open to any insights or suggestions that you might have regarding this.

If any of you have gone through a similar situation or are well-versed in the Canadian citizenship process, we would greatly appreciate your advice and guidance. We want to make informed decisions that are in the best interest of our family.

Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, or any resources that might help us navigate this journey successfully. Your support means a lot to us!

Thank you so much in advance for your help and insights.

Warm regards,

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hey everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out to this amazing community for some advice regarding our family's path to Canadian citizenship. We've recently achieved permanent residency status, and we're now looking ahead to the next citizenship steps.

Here's a brief overview of our situation:
  • I became a permanent resident on August 6, 2021, and I've been fortunate enough to accumulate the required 1095 days of physical presence for citizenship eligibility having work permits and TRVs in the eligibility period.
  • My wife, who is a homemaker, became a permanent resident on October 22, 2021. However, she falls short of the 1095-day physical presence requirement at the moment.
  • Both of our kids, aged 15 and 10, also became permanent residents on October 22, 2021.
From my understanding, it seems that our kids can apply for citizenship alongside me(online) without worrying about the physical presence requirement, given their age and category (Minor 5(2)). However, we're contemplating the best course of action for my wife's citizenship application. It seems prudent to wait until she meets the 1095-day physical presence requirement, but we're open to any insights or suggestions that you might have regarding this.

If any of you have gone through a similar situation or are well-versed in the Canadian citizenship process, we would greatly appreciate your advice and guidance. We want to make informed decisions that are in the best interest of our family.

Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, or any resources that might help us navigate this journey successfully. Your support means a lot to us!

Thank you so much in advance for your help and insights.

Warm regards,
It might be a matter of 1 month+ just wait it out and apply together as a family imho
In my case I moved ere in Feb 2017, spouse and kids moved in Jul 2017 on WP and SP. We all became PR in Feb 2019.
We waited for few more months in our case and applied for Citizenship togther in Aug 2021, Although I kinda qualified for by May 2021 and spouse in Jul 2021.

duster

Aug 13, 2011
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIC Sydney Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
March 22/2019
AOR Received.
May 8/ 2019
Med's Request
Sep 10/2019
Med's Done....
Sep 24/2019
It might be a matter of 1 month+ just wait it out and apply together as a family imho
In my case I moved ere in Feb 2017, spouse and kids moved in Jul 2017 on WP and SP. We all became PR in Feb 2019.
We waited for few more months in our case and applied for Citizenship together in Aug 2021, Although I kinda qualified for by May 2021 and spouse in Jul 2021.
My wife will be eligible for Citizenship next year in October as she landed on October 22, 2021 therefore she has only 672 days as of today and is short of 423 days. As per my calculations, her 1095 will be completed on October 21, 2024 (Monday)

I came to Canada in 2017 as a student and have two work permits in between eligibility periods therefore getting leverage of 365 days of physical presence as a temporary resident. My wife doesn't have the leverage of a Temporary resident as I have.

Am I missing something? Can she apply before completing the 1095 physical presence?