+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

wink

May 25, 2021
We're applying with our daughter.
Then you should be applying under the subsection 5(2), is it not? i.e. form CIT 0003.

If the minor is applying at the same time as their parent, or already has a Canadian parent, please use the Application for Canadian citizenship - Minors (under 18 years of age) under subsection 5(2).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-canadian-citizenship-minors.html

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Like @wink mentioned in his post above please take some time to read through the links so that you do not end using the wrong application form.
Good part is now families can apply online together, which makes life a touch easier, but fundamentally you have to read through details before completing the form.

Cool2021

Jul 30, 2021
Hi, I'm applying for citizenship and i see I need to provide proof of language. I do have the IELTS from 2017. Do I need to get new one or this one will work? Thanks

Cool2021

Jul 30, 2021
It will work as long as it is "General Training". Academic IELTS is not acceptable...
Thank you for confirming. Yes it's "General Training", however, I didn't use it for PR. I read somewhere if used for PR then it can be used for Citizenship but I never used it for PR. Do you think it will still work? And is there any minimum required IELTS Bands?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you for confirming. Yes it's "General Training", however, I didn't use it for PR. I read somewhere if used for PR then it can be used for Citizenship but I never used it for PR. Do you think it will still work? And is there any minimum required IELTS Bands?
Min is CLB 4
Although it does not say if you did not use it during your PR, you cannot... but if this IELTS is a general one not the academic maybe it will work even though it is expired..

Reactions: Cool2021

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi guys-
As a daily commuter, I understand we have to declare daily (8am to 5pm work) trips to US while applying online for citizenship at Physical Presence step. I have about 700 daily work trips in last 3 years to US.
So I am listing all the entries, started from early 2020. If I enter some of the days (daily work trips) based on assumption and later if it turns out I never left Canada on those days, will that be just fine as I am over declaring the daily trips? In other words, I am entering most of the days in 2020 as daily work trips (during COVID time), but I do not remember if I really crossed the border or I was just working from home.

(I still cannot access the i94 CBP travel history and already ordered the FOIA but I do not want to wait for it and I have enough buffer past 1095 requirement).

Also I entered 580 daily trips online and it is not letting me enter more than it. When I try to enter new trip, it kicks me out saying- "We are Experiencing Technical Difficulty".

Pls advise.

Cool2021

Jul 30, 2021
Min is CLB 4
Although it does not say if you did not use it during your PR, you cannot... but if this IELTS is a general one not the academic maybe it will work even though it is expired..
I have a Ielts certificate for general training from 2017 which I have never used for any immigration purposes I was just wondering is it possible that I can use that one?

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
I recently received my PR status. My wife is Canadian citizen. She is on parental leave and will be living in my home country for 8 months. So when I renew my PR status after 5 years, will this 8 months stay in my home country counts towards 2 year requirements?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I recently received my PR status. My wife is Canadian citizen. She is on parental leave and will be living in my home country for 8 months. So when I renew my PR status after 5 years, will this 8 months stay in my home country counts towards 2 year requirements?
No unless your wife is a crown servant

myindia

Oct 16, 2018
No unless your wife is a crown servant
But this is what it says

You travel with a spouse or common-law partner
Your spouse or common-law partner needs to be:

• a Canadian citizen, or
  • a permanent resident working outside Canada, full-time for:
    • a Canadian business, or
    • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
But this is what it says

You travel with a spouse or common-law partner
Your spouse or common-law partner needs to be:

• a Canadian citizen, or
  • a permanent resident working outside Canada, full-time for:
    • a Canadian business, or
    • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government
Not sure what are you referring to?
Are you asking wrt RO for citizenship - like I said above No
Are you asking wrt rRO for PR - Yes might be possible but check all the fine print

sv-canadatoindia

May 10, 2023
HI, I plan to get married in the next few months. Since marital status needs to be mentioned in the citizenship application, is it better to get married and then apply? what happens if the application is submitted and then the marital status changes from single to married? is it a hassle to get it updated in the application then?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
HI, I plan to get married in the next few months. Since marital status needs to be mentioned in the citizenship application, is it better to get married and then apply? what happens if the application is submitted and then the marital status changes from single to married? is it a hassle to get it updated in the application then?
You can get married and send an update via webform. No need to wait.