+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Hi guys,

We sent our paper application today (family of 2).

Couple questions for who would know:

1. How do you receive the AOR? Email or regular mail?
2. How long are you given from the time they invite you to the citizenship test, to the actual test date?

Thanks
1. If you wrote your email address in the form, AOR would be sent to your email address.
2. There is a time window during which you can take the test. You usually have 21 days to decide the date you want to take the test on.

Reactions: mattjp1

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
1. If you wrote your email address in the form, AOR would be sent to your email address.
2. There is a time window during which you can take the test. You usually have 21 days to decide the date you want to take the test on.
Thanks for the answers.

Also I have a doubt for Question 13 "Have you ever had immigration status in any country outside of Canada". Does that apply to nationality, permanent residence, worker and student visas we had in other countries, or does that include tourists visas?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Thanks for the answers.

Also I have a doubt for Question 13 "Have you ever had immigration status in any country outside of Canada". Does that apply to nationality, permanent residence, worker and student visas we had in other countries, or does that include tourists visas?
It includes all non canadian VISAs, permanent residency and citizenship. There has been a long conversation about tourist VISAs as the instruction guide does not mention tourist visa as a category . However, there is a new option called “visitor” in a drop down menu in the new app form released recently. That’s what that raised the question. That’s why I recommend to mention your tourist VISAs as well. Specially the ones during your 5-year eligibility period. Better to be safe than sorry.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
It includes all non canadian VISAs, permanent residency and citizenship. There has been a long conversation about tourist VISAs as the instruction guide does not mention tourist visa as a category . However, there is a new option called “visitor” in a drop down menu in the new app form released recently. That’s what that raised the question. That’s why I recommend to mention your tourist VISAs as well. Specially the ones during your 5-year eligibility period. Better to be safe than sorry.
Correct, the "visitor" status in the drop down list is confusing me. For some people who travel a lot, it could take a few pages here.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
And we have to list all the visas in 5 years eligibility period (e.g 2016-2021) for valid and expired visas correct?
So for example: If I had Japan tourist visa which was valid from 2015-2017, this should be listed correct?
Another example: If I had a UK tourist visa expired in 2015 - This should not be included correct?

Can you help me with those two examples?

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
And we have to list all the visas in 5 years eligibility period (e.g 2016-2021) for valid and expired visas correct?
So for example: If I had Japan tourist visa which was valid from 2015-2017, this should be listed correct?
Another example: If I had a UK tourist visa expired in 2015 - This should not be included correct?

Can you help me with those two examples?
Not just during your five-year eligibility period. You should list all non canadian VISAs( student, work), permanent residency, and citizenship you’ve ever had in your life. However, there has been a long conversation specifically regarding Visitor visa in different threads. A few people claim that they’ve called IRCC and they were told that no need to mention visitor visas. On the other hand, another person claimed that he/she was told that we need to mention visitor visas.

Visitor visa is not mentioned in Q13 in the instruction guide. However, it’s mentioned in the drop-down menu as a category in the recently released form. That’s why some people are confused.

In the last thread I said that better to be safe than sorry. Just mention your visitor visas if you can. At least the ones during your five-year eligibility period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Troy2245

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
Correct, the "visitor" status in the drop down list is confusing me. For some people who travel a lot, it could take a few pages here.
Exactly. I thought we’re supposed to refer to the instruction guide. There is no visitor visa in the instruction guide.

Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).

However, we have “visitor” in the drop-down menu in the new form. That’s where my confusion starts from.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
I have a question about Police clearance:

I lived and worked in the US (2011 to 2015) and became PR in 2014 but didn't move to Canada until end of 2018. I did my soft landing in 2014 and went back to the US. Then I moved to India in 2015 and stayed there till 2018 (I made a permanent move to Canada). India is my country of origin from last 4 years.

Could any one guide me if I will need a police clearance for citizenship application?

Thanks,

rucheershah88

May 31, 2017
You'll have to submit documents based on your unique situation. English/French language proof is mandatory for everyone between the ages of 18 and 54. You will NOT be submitting any tax documents. Whether you have to submit your police certificates or not depends on your travel history. Read the instruction guide. The guidance there is very clear.
Hi @rajkamalmohanram ,

Thanks for sharing this post. Its so helpful!

I became PR in Mar-2018 and was in US before becoming PR. In your original post, you had mentioned to state that PCC is not required and with explanation "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada". However in this example that you excerpted from CIC it states to mention the explanation that PCC is not provided as it was provided at the time of immigration application. my question is which reason should we be mentioning?

Also for my physical presence calculator in this question, *Did you leave Canada between 2016-05-15 and 2021-05-14? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.", since I became PR in Mar-2018, I would be specifying any absences post Mar-2018 correct or should I be specifying about my stay in US prior to Mar-2018?

I would appreciate your responses.

Thanks,
Rucheer.

RJ2020

Oct 29, 2020
I have a question about Police clearance:

I lived and worked in the US (2011 to 2015) and became PR in 2014 but didn't move to Canada until end of 2018. I did my soft landing in 2014 and went back to the US. Then I moved to India in 2015 and stayed there till 2018 (I made a permanent move to Canada). India is my country of origin from last 4 years.

Could any one guide me if I will need a police clearance for citizenship application?

Thanks,
According to the instruction guide:

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18

According to the info you've provided:

You became PR in 2014.

2014---------> 2015 You were in US
2015----------> 2018 You were in India
2018 ----------> Today ( May 12, 2021), You have been in Canada

Let's assume you want to submit your application today. Your 4-year period starts from 2017-05-12 to 2021-05-12. I don't know the exact dates, but according to the info you've provided, you've been in India in 2017 and most of 2018. If you stayed in India for the whole time, or if even one of your trips to India or any other country other than Canada from 2017 to 2021 was 183 days or more in a row, then you need a police certificate. In your case, it seems you need to provide a police certificate from India. Make sure you check for other countries to which you had trip too.

The fact that you did not move to Canada till 2018 does not mean you don't need to provide a police certificate as you were already a permanent resident of Canada in 2017 and 2018. If you refer to the instruction guide, it says

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
  • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
So, you need to provide a police certificate from India.

The link for the instruction guide:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Reactions: bellaluna

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
f you stayed in India for the whole time, or if even one of your trips to India or any other country other than Canada from 2017 to 2021 was 183 days or more in a row, then you need a police certificate.
Thank you very much. I will get the PCC from Indian Consulate here in Canada. I hope they process it fast.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hey Guys,

For question 14,

List all passports and gaps between passports.

So this is my scenario:

Passport 1 (old): valid from 2012 to 2022
Passport 2 (new): valid from 2021 to 2031.

So before passport 1 expired, I renewed passport 2..

So in the section, it asks expiry date of passport. Should I list the passport 1 expiry of next year?

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Hey Guys,

For question 14,

List all passports and gaps between passports.

So this is my scenario:

Passport 1 (old): valid from 2012 to 2022
Passport 2 (new): valid from 2021 to 2031.

So before passport 1 expired, I renewed passport 2..

So in the section, it asks expiry date of passport. Should I list the passport 1 expiry of next year?
I believe so, at least that's what I did. The expiry date isn't negotiable anyway, it's written black on white. I explained in the box below why I renewed it.

Reactions: Troy2245

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi folks, can I change the eye color in citizenship application or I have to stick with what wrote on PR card I mentioned on PR that eye color is black but I recognized after it is dark brown?is there any issue to do that?

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hi folks, can I change the eye color in citizenship application or I have to stick with what wrote on PR card I mentioned on PR that eye color is black but I recognized after it is dark brown?is there any issue to do that?
In my opinion, you should stick to what you wrote in PR. Why did you write wrong in first place? That's like lying on your application.

BTW, when I got PR, I cannot choose eye colour by myself, the medical exam revealed, the eye colour and that information was passed to IRCC.
I don't know how can you choose the eye colour? and even if you do, you could have corrected after medical exam results. this is the reason, peeps need to ask medical reports during the process from the hospital authorities when processig for IRCC. They will happily provide it to you.

Anyhow, don't know if it is right thing to do, let's wait for some experts opinion.