+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I am a bit confused about the addresses question. I was outside of Canada visiting parents for over 183 days (approximately 190) while working remotely for a Canadian company. Do I have to add my parents address or Use only my Canadian address?
Your address is where you live, not where you work. You need to list your parents address.

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Your address is where you live, not where you work. You need to list your parents address.
Even if I had no ties with my home country? I was still paying rent for my apartment in Canada.

My main reason was visiting parents not residing there...that's why i am confused

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Even if I had no ties with my home country? I was still paying rent for my apartment in Canada.

My main reason was visiting parents not residing there...that's why i am confused
Your previous post listed a 190 days period at your parents place. To be honest I understood it as a continuous 190 days period.
if that's the case, more than 6 months in one place would probably qualify as "living" there, even if you still paid your rent elsewhere I'd say. List the parents address in that case.
If we're speaking about many short visits, that's a different story, and those short visits only need to be listed in the physical presence calculation, with your home address listed in the address history.

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Your previous post listed a 190 days period at your parents place. To be honest I understood it as a continuous 190 days period.
if that's the case, more than 6 months in one place would probably qualify as "living" there, even if you still paid your rent elsewhere I'd say. List the parents address in that case.
If we're speaking about many short visits, that's a different story, and those short visits only need to be listed in the physical presence calculation, with your home address listed in the address history.
Yes it was a continuous 190 days. I see so you suggest listing my parents address too.

There is another reason why I am not sure is that for tax purposes I was still an Ontario resident and paid my taxes (CRA highlights that as long as you have ties with Canada then you are still considered a resident of Canada). The ontario health card too mentions that you are elligible as long as you live in the province for over 153 days (which means you can still be abroad for 212 days and not loose Ontario Health Coverage

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@wonderwall007 don't overthink it.
It's more for making life easier for the IRCC agent working on your case by providing an address that matches the 6 months+ single exit from the country that you'll list in the physical presence calculator. That agent will not care about the Airbnb address of that week you spent in, say, New York or that month summer vacation touring Europe, but 6 months in a row may be a different story.
Your ties with Canada are not thrown into question because you spent 6 months abroad, so just list it out of completeness.
And if you really really really don't want to do so because of tax residence and whatnot (although that's a completely different subject), and want to keep your home address in there, add a explanation letter saying that you lived at your parents place, which you'll specify, while keeping your home and ties in Canada.

Reactions: wonderwall007

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
@wonderwall007 don't overthink it.
It's more for making life easier for the IRCC agent working on your case by providing an address that matches the 6 months+ single exit from the country that you'll list in the physical presence calculator. That agent will not care about the Airbnb address of that week you spent in, say, New York or that month summer vacation touring Europe, but 6 months in a row may be a different story.
Your ties with Canada are not thrown into question because you spent 6 months abroad, so just list it out of completeness.
And if you really really really don't want to do so because of tax residence and whatnot (although that's a completely different subject), and want to keep your home address in there, add a explanation letter saying that you lived at your parents place, which you'll specify, while keeping your home and ties in Canada.
Thank you! I think the latter option is better. The explanation letter will make it easier for the IRCC agent to understand the situation

nezuko99

Nov 13, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have a question and I would really appreciate some help with it. I meet the requirements to apply for citizenship but my husband does not. Is it possible to apply for his citizenship along with my application because I meet all the eligibility. Some context - My husband doesn't have a PR yet.

Thank you in advance.

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a question and I would really appreciate some help with it. I meet the requirements to apply for citizenship but my husband does not. Is it possible to apply for his citizenship along with my application because I meet all the eligibility. Some context - My husband doesn't have a PR yet.

Thank you in advance.
No it is not possible. Citizenship is granted individually

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance.
You should first sponsor your spouse to become a permanent resident. Directly cannot become a citizen.

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
@Seym I have another question where I need your valuable help!

I got a student permit on June 2018 expiring on August 30 2019
Then I applied for PGWP in May 13, 2019 and only got the work permit on June 30 2019 (I started work as soon as I applied for PGWP), the PGWP expired on Feb 03 2021 but I was in an implied status as I already applied for PR on September 2020.

What should I put for the Dates (received and expired) for each of the Study Permit and Work permit?

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@Seym I have another question where I need your valuable help!

I got a student permit on June 2018 expiring on August 30 2019
Then I applied for PGWP in May 13, 2019 and only got the work permit on June 30 2019 (I started work as soon as I applied for PGWP), the PGWP expired on Feb 03 2021 but I was in an implied status as I already applied for PR on September 2020.

What should I put for the Dates (received and expired) for each of the Study Permit and Work permit?
You can have both a study permit and work permit at the same time.
Put the dates you listed in your message there, June 2018 to August 30 2019 for the study permit, and June 30 2019 to February 3 2021 for the WP. I believe there's also I section for when you applied for each permit, you'll put May 13 2019 there for the WP. You also need to list your implied status separately in the same question with a starting date the day after your WP was expired till the day before you got your PR.

wonderwall007

Star Member
Jul 15, 2019
You can have both a study permit and work permit at the same time.
Put the dates you listed in your message there, June 2018 to August 30 2019 for the study permit, and June 30 2019 to February 3 2021 for the WP. I believe there's also I section for when you applied for each permit, you'll put May 13 2019 there for the WP. You also need to list your implied status separately in the same question with a starting date the day after your WP was expired till the day before you got your PR.
Oh there is no section for the application date.

Hmm, isnt the status expiring as soon as you get a new status? By the time I got the PGWP then the Student permit expires

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
@wonderwall007 Dunno if the PGWP, being "post-graduate", is a specific situation, but no, you usually can have both at the same time.
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1618&top=15
It shouldn't be an issue to list the actual dates in your permits, IRCC will figure out the rest.
Also, I may be mistaken, but I remember needing not only the work permits but the dates their applications were sent when I helped some family member with their online application a few months ago. It may have changed since then. Forget it if there is no section for it...