+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hello,
Thank you for such detailed post.
I have a question on tax filing question.
Have been filing taxes since 2017 in Canada, so 3 year requirement is easily met. I will be filing for 2021 as well, but haven't done that yet (will do in March-April). I was planning to submit citizenship application early February. What should I select in the question about tax filing for 2021 tax year? Required to file - YES, Taxes filled - NO?
Wouldn't it be a reason to return my application? Is it safer to wait until I file taxes? Or should I even wait for NOA for 2021?
Since you are planning to fill 2021 tax by feb 2022, i would recommend go ahead and write YES, Taxes filled - Yes?, reason being it will take you 2 month to get AOR and then they will touch your file, by then you would have filed the taxes anyways.

Kiritin

Dec 5, 2017
I spent an hour trying to find a direct answer, may be it is very obvious. I have a small clarification. Me and my wife are now eligible to apply for citizenship. Our first son was just born here in ontario, a few weeks ago, so I assume he is already a Canadian citizen here.
We used the online physical presence calculator and easily eligible.
Now it will be convenient to apply online. However a few questions here
1. Can my wife and me apply online separately as two adults with separate email accounts ?
2. Is there an advantage in processing time for online vs paper based on what most people have tracked here.
3. Is it faster to apply on paper, when you are a family? as it gets processed together.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I spent an hour trying to find a direct answer, may be it is very obvious. I have a small clarification. Me and my wife are now eligible to apply for citizenship. Our first son was just born here in ontario, a few weeks ago, so I assume he is already a Canadian citizen here.
1. Can my wife and me apply online separately as two adults with separate email accounts ?
2. Is there an advantage in processing time for online vs paper based on what most people have tracked here.
3. Is it faster to apply on paper, when you are a family? as it gets processed together.
Yes you both can apply individually online
The only advantage of applying online is that you don’t need to spend money for printing and then couriering the documents for processing you application.
no clear advantage or disadvantage(related to processing times) is documented between the 2 processes.

gagzzz

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Yes your son is a citizen, congrats.
I think there is not much of time difference between online vs paper. i presume give or take (10-15days for mail to reach them)..
its advisable to apply together as family.
I applied on paper as family (wife, kid and me) and got AOR yesterday (after 1.5months) for all 3 applicants together.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello,
Thank you for such detailed post.
I have a question on tax filing question.
Have been filing taxes since 2017 in Canada, so 3 year requirement is easily met. I will be filing for 2021 as well, but haven't done that yet (will do in March-April). I was planning to submit citizenship application early February. What should I select in the question about tax filing for 2021 tax year? Required to file - YES, Taxes filled - NO?
Wouldn't it be a reason to return my application? Is it safer to wait until I file taxes? Or should I even wait for NOA for 2021?
No, that wouldn't be a reason to return your application. It is very common for people to file taxes towards the end of March. Heck many people don't even get their tax slips from their employers until last week of Feb. So its totally fine, and almost understood that you will be filing your taxes before the deadline.

Think about it, almost all applications submitted in January will face this problem.

Ivan Duhok

Mar 12, 2018
Hello everyone,

I received my AOR for my citizenship application today. I am unable to register my account on the tracker system because the tracker says incorrect UCI or incorrect Application number.

I wonder how can I register on tracker whilst it does not recognzie my UCI and Application Number? Is anybody else having the same issue?

Ivan Duhok

Mar 12, 2018
I am having the same issues as your kids. The tracker system does not recognize my UCI and Application Number. I am not sure what is wrong? I hope someone can help is with the right answer. Thanks

Ivan Duhok

Mar 12, 2018
Please guys,

We recently got AOR, family of 4 on January 5th 2022. I and my wife have been able to register on tracker to see the status of our application but i can't register my 2 kids on tracker. It keeps telling me incorrect UCI or Application number. At a time, i thought maybe kids application are not viewed on tracker that is why i can't register them on tracker. I and my wife had no problem at all registering on tracker.

My question , is this normal? Is the tracker only for adults?

Thanks everyone
I am having the same issues as your kids. The tracker system does not recognize my UCI and Application Number. I am not sure what is wrong? I hope someone can help us with the right answer. Thanks

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello everyone,

I received my AOR for my citizenship application today. I am unable to register my account on the tracker system because the tracker says incorrect UCI or incorrect Application number.

I wonder how can I register on tracker whilst it does not recognzie my UCI and Application Number? Is anybody else having the same issue?
I haven't seen the answer to this question here. Now that you have received your AOR, maybe you can call IRCC call center and check with them?

emmycad

Star Member
Apr 20, 2018
I am having the same issues as your kids. The tracker system does not recognize my UCI and Application Number. I am not sure what is wrong? I hope someone can help us with the right answer. Thanks
I asked the question but nobody answered. It seems no one had been in that situation. Anyway, i called IRCC and they referred me to the web form which i have filled and submitted but i have not heard anything since then. I'm confused at the moment.
You should wait for 24-48 hrs after AOR to register on tracker, after then if you still can't register that is when to do something about it.
I am still hoping someone with an exact experience of this issue can comment on it.

Reactions: smash1984