+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Even if you go back to your country, it will not cause any problem. There is no point on you getting a job in Canada. Many people get PR and go back to other countries for job. But they do come back to make sure they live ~ 3 years in 5 year PR period.

pageegap said:
HI guys!

I submittedd my application on february of this year (during the last year of my PhD) I got an email from the Centralized Intake Office with a number file on March 17. I have not heard back from CIC since then. I ordered GCMS notes twice and apparently I got 70 points and everything "looks good" but still can not check the status of my application online.

I successfully defended my Phd thesis last week and I got a postdoc offer in.... Paris for one year. I have been applying for jobs in Canada since I submitted my pr application but haven't been succesful in getting an offer. So I was wondering if going to France for one year could harm my application. Do any of you guys know if I have to notify CIC of me leaving the country? will I have to re-apply from France?

I have the intention to settle down in Canada and to get a job here so if I get a job offer while being in France I would take it. Please, any comment would be appreciated.

thanks!

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Viva2014 said:
Hi Chakri,

As I asked you before, I wanna know why we cannot claim for 30hrs for RA when it only adds 1 hour work per day (in compare with 25hrs) and we can get more points. Actually, I believe that it is possible to study 15 hrs and work 30 hrs as RA. This is completely true in my case. Why should I ask my supervisor to mention less working hours than the actual one?
I know many applicants here who have claimed more than 30 hrs and they haven't had any problem. By looking at Forum, we can find only 1 case (johny) who was rejected by Sydney and in my opinion the main reason for his rejection was for missing the lead statement.
Hi Viva,

Sorry if I did not answer your question in the past.

As per CIC the full time work is considered as 37.5 hours per week or 1950 hours per year. And a full time study is 15 hours per week (Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp). In a conventional work set up a day of work consists of 8 hours excluding breaks (lunch break, coffee break etc). If you work more than 8 hours a day and so more than 40 hours a week that is called over time and the institution will have to pay extra for it. Since you want to claim 30 hours a week, you only have 10 hours per week towards your own work. If you say that you are working over the weekends and nights to get your work done (most of us do it), CIC will not consider it because 1) your work has to be done during regular university operating times (for it to be credited) and 2) you need PI's supervision who won't stay in office technically after hours. If you still want to claim the extra hours you might have to get a letter from the concerning person that you are being paid extra for it, which is nearly impossible.

So in my opinion claiming 40 hours of RA per week may have negative consequences. Some of the candidates applications might have been approved but it solely depends upon visa officer. My lab mate's application was rejected an year ago at Ottawa level for the same reason. The visa officer mentioned in his email that he was not convinced that the applicant is a full-time student based on the RA letter though the transcript shows that he is a full-time enrolled.

Hope this shed some light on this case.

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
civil656 said:
Hi Chakri,
Thanks for your response. Can we appeal after rejection? I prefer to wait to see their decision and if I am rejected, I will send the supplementary letter you mentioned. Is it possible?
Hi Civil,

Don't take a chance. Once your application is rejected there is no way that will be re-opened unless there is a mistake done by visa officer such as wrong counting of points. So act quick and send the supplementary letter as soon as possible. In my case, I updated my reference letter 2 times and sent proof of funds (6 months statements) thrice. It does not hurt to update the letter now. Good luck.

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
sia_kb8 said:
Just got medical and RPRF! Isn't it a bit too early?
CIC is providing its visa officers with Redbulls and Monsters... Lol

tandysony

Apr 17, 2014
Congrats! LOL, they really speed up the whole process much. I just did my medical exam today. Hope everything goes well towards my PR visa.

sia_kb8 said:
Just got medical and RPRF! Isn't it a bit too early?

tandysony

Apr 17, 2014
Hello George,

(1). a postdoc offer helps much. I convinced the immigration officer with a postdoc offer outside of Quebec, and got RPRF and Medical request in 3 days

(2a). If your trips lasted less than one month for each, I would suggest one continuous duration of study. I did the same.
For the addresses, put only the address of your residence for study, if you are using one continuous duration of study.

(3b). You can leave it blank, or the date you are supposed to graduate.

(4). Include or not, it doesn't help much for your case. They are looking for "serious organization or party" that might be potentially threaten, e.g. Communist Party or religious extremism. Recently, one Communist Party member from China has been rejected, due to his dishonesty.

George15 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you Parkinson for your reply on my previous question.

1) Do you think that having a postdoc offer will help me convince the CIC that I intend to reside outside of Quebec?

Also, I am filling the Background document and I reached the personal history section and membership in organizations and addresses where I need to fill my activity in the past 10 years. I am a bit confused.

Section 8 and 12 (personal history and addresses):

2a) Lets say for examples I started my studies in 01/09/2011 and I traveled to my home country 3 times during this period. How do I fill the duration? do I fill my studies as a one continuous duration from 01/09/2011 till now or do I fill it as separate phases and include between the vacation periods in my home country?

Does do the same for both personal history and addresses? because I think the dates should be the same for both?

3b) How can I fill the space saying that it is "to date", for example I am student from 2011 to present date, how do I fill the space? or do I write the date that I signed the papers?

Section 9 (membership):

4) I have been part of the student council and part of the organizing committee of research day at my department at my university, do I have to include it here?

Thanks All!

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
chakri264 said:
Hi Viva,

Sorry if I did not answer your question in the past.

As per CIC the full time work is considered as 37.5 hours per week or 1950 hours per year. And a full time study is 15 hours per week. In a conventional work set up a day of work consists of 8 hours excluding breaks (lunch break, coffee break etc). If you work more than 8 hours a day and so more than 40 hours a week that is called over time and the institution will have to pay extra for it. Since you want to claim 30 hours a week, you only have 10 hours per week towards your own work. If you say that you are working over the weekends and nights to get your work done (most of us do it), CIC will not consider it because 1) your work has to be done during regular university operating times (for it to be credited) and 2) you need PI's supervision who won't stay in office technically after hours. If you still want to claim the extra hours you might have to get a letter from the concerning person that you are being paid extra for it, which is nearly impossible.

So in my opinion claiming 40 hours of RA per week may have negative consequences. Some of the candidates applications might have been approved but it solely depends upon visa officer. My lab mate's application was rejected an year ago at Ottawa level for the same reason. The visa officer mentioned in his email that he was not convinced that the applicant is a full-time student based on the RA letter though the transcript shows that he is a full-time enrolled.

Hope this shed some light on this case.

Thank you very much for your answer. I think full time work is 30 hrs per week (source:cic website). Besides, we should not consider our study as work! So, in this case we only work for 30 hours and 15 hours for our study and our supervisor is not responsible to pay us for our study. Your study can be after office hours or during weekends and it is completely logic but your work usually should be done during office hours. What is your idea?

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Thanks Sia. I have found your entry. You applied in October just few days after me.
Waiting for my medical call. Finger crossed!

sia_kb8 said:
I got my PER Dec 2013. My entry should be in the tracker, cannot access the exact date here at work.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
aalm said:
Thanks Sia. I have found your entry. You applied in October just few days after me.
Waiting for my medical call. Finger crossed!
For whatever reason they did not even ask for any documents. I was expecting CV, PhD study details, bank statements, etc.

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
tandysony said:
Thank you, you are so active and helped us out. I really appreciate your contribution to all of us here.
Thank you Tandy. It's a "pay it forward" act. N_O and other seniors helped us a lot and we try to repay it by helping others:)

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Is there any change in your online status?

sia_kb8 said:
For whatever reason they did not even ask for any documents. I was expecting CV, PhD study details, bank statements, etc.

pageegap

Dec 31, 2013
aalm said:
Even if you go back to your country, it will not cause any problem. There is no point on you getting a job in Canada. Many people get PR and go back to other countries for job. But they do come back to make sure they live ~ 3 years in 5 year PR period.

Aaalm, thanks so much for your response. Do you know if I can submit my "medical results" from abroad (France)?
Now I can see the status of my application : "In process". My intention is to keep going with the application and to send the medical and criminal information when required hoping that this is not a problem.

My student visa allows me multiple entries and it expires on august 30th, 2015 (my graduation date is in november this year though) and planning to come back to the country in case that an interview is required for pr. Does any body know if I can use my student visa to get back to the country even after I finished school? If I get granted pr and send my passport and CIC sees that I have not been in the country for a long period of time, could that be a problem?

thanks so much guys!

thanks!