Waived
Passport Req..
22-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Hi Arian_arian,

By reading your letter, I have a feeling that this letter can be applied to any PhD student regardless of fields and majors. I think CIC officers really want to see the real scholarly activities that you engaged, not just a list of duties. Therefore, your duties should be mentioned in details such as what kind/topic of lit reviews you have done for your Prof., what experiments you assisted your prof? You did TA in what classes/courses, and what really did you do for the TAship. Reading such a detailed letter should be more convincing. Because it would tell them who you are, what kind of major you have and what kind of work experience you really gained.

Best,

arian_arian said:
My letter:

This letter is to confirm that Mr. XXX is a full-time graduate student enrolled in Ph.D. program in the Department of XXX at the University of XXX. He has started his program winter 2011 under my supervision and has been employed as a research assistant and as a teaching assistant during semesters.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
Henry.Nguyen said:
Hi Arian_arian,

By reading your letter, I have a feeling that this letter can be applied to any PhD student regardless of fields and majors. I think CIC officers really want to see the real scholarly activities that you engaged, not just a list of duties. Therefore, your duties should be mentioned in details such as what kind/topic of lit reviews you have done for your Prof., what experiments you assisted your prof? You did TA in what classes/courses, and what really did you do for the TAship. Reading such a detailed letter should be more convincing. Because it would tell them who you are, what kind of major you have and what kind of work experience you really gained.

Best,
You are right. as you said that letter would be "more convincing". But based on the rules you don't have to include those things.

chenying3612

Star Member
Nov 11, 2012
Hi All,

I have a question about the ECA. Should I do the assessment for both master degree and bachelor degree, or just the master degree?

Thanks in advance!

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
chenying3612 said:
Hi All,

I have a question about the ECA. Should I do the assessment for both master degree and bachelor degree, or just the master degree?

Thanks in advance!
I think you need to do it for both.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
chenying3612 said:
Really? I thought Master assessment should be enough. So expensive...
If your Master's degree got evaluated as an equivalent of a Canadian Master's degree, then it would be enough to claim education points for Master's degree.

You will be awarded up to 25 points for your highest completed Canadian educational credential or for your highest equivalency to a completed Canadian educational credential. You may also be eligible to receive points for certain combinations to two Canadian (or equivalent) educational credentials.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp
However, in the unlikely event that your Master's degree is only deemed equivalent to a bachelor's, then you may want to evaluate your Bachelor's as well, because a combination of two Bachelor's degrees would grant you more educational points than just having one Bachelor's.

Jun zheng

May 15, 2014
Hi,guys
just wondering whether you include your tuition fees as a part of your Annual Salaray?
and how many hours can we claim as a Research Assistant on campus when we registered as a full time student?is that depending on the hourly rate?For example, we got 2000 dollars a month, if we claim 40 hours a week, that means the hourly rate is 12.5 dollars. Is that too low for a RA?Thanks

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Jun zheng said:
Hi,guys
just wondering whether you include your tuition fees as a part of your Annual Salaray?
and how many hours can we claim as a Research Assistant on campus when we registered as a full time student?is that depending on the hourly rate?For example, we got 2000 dollars a month, if we claim 40 hours a week, that means the hourly rate is 12.5 dollars. Is that too low for a RA?Thanks
In my case a portion of tuition is part of my income since the grad school deposits a portion of the tuition in my student account and my boss adds the rest. So in my reference letter he mentioned whatever the sum that comes from his grants to my pocket.

Since you are a full time PhD candidate I don't think you can claim 40 hours towards your RA. You have to work at least 15 hours towards your own research project and the rest time is for RA. So you can claim at the maximum of 25 hours per week for RA. In terms of CIC, RA is something that you work for a project other than your own research project. Hope this helps. If my interpretation is wrong please correct me.

chenying3612

Star Member
Nov 11, 2012
meyakanor said:
If your Master's degree got evaluated as an equivalent of a Canadian Master's degree, then it would be enough to claim education points for Master's degree.

However, in the unlikely event that your Master's degree is only deemed equivalent to a bachelor's, then you may want to evaluate your Bachelor's as well, because a combination of two Bachelor's degrees would grant you more educational points than just having one Bachelor's.
Thank you so much.

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
Henry.Nguyen said:
Hi Arian_arian,

Best,
I agree that details are better, after all, the applicant needs to 'convince' the officer. If it was simply heuristic, then a computer could do it. I really think the requirements are framed as a 'minimum' because the checklist invites one to 'support' one's claim with additional materials/documents.

So, if you are simply going for the minimum, then you are taking your chances with adverse human interpretation.

chenying3612

Star Member
Nov 11, 2012
chakri264 said:
In my case a portion of tuition is part of my income since the grad school deposits a portion of the tuition in my student account and my boss adds the rest. So in my reference letter he mentioned whatever the sum that comes from his grants to my pocket.

Since you are a full time PhD candidate I don't think you can claim 40 hours towards your RA. You have to work at least 15 hours towards your own research project and the rest time is for RA. So you can claim at the maximum of 25 hours per week for RA. In terms of CIC, RA is something that you work for a project other than your own research project. Hope this helps. If my interpretation is wrong please correct me.
Hi chakri264, at my university, everyone's RA is 40 hours. Say that if I just submit my supervisor's reference letter (my supervisor is ok with that), could I just claim 25 hours?

tandysony

Apr 17, 2014
Congrats, your new journey as a PR now begins~

neuron said:
After 442 days waiting, we got the visa today:), thanks all in this forum for invaluable discussion.

I wish all of you are the best for the immigration application:)

After my PhD. defense on Aug, I will move to Halifax city, working as a data scientist at a IT company. I am looking for guys who are heading to this city or are studying there.

Please feel free to contact me!

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I received passport request two days ago, but my online status is still in process, is it normal?

Thanks